Question of the Day, Late Edition. Saturday the18 of June, 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Weekend!
June, Ah....the month of Weddings!!👰🤵

Tell us about a wedding you've attended where there was some kind of drama, there usually is! or tell us about your wedding.
Pics would be nice

My ex and I went to a wedding where about an hour before the ceremony, the bride and her maid of honor got into a fight
and she didn't have a back up. I don't remember how it turned out. (They divorced about 3 years later but not before she racked

up over 90k on the AmEx card.)

Your turn to share!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My late DH and I got married in December 1995. Our DD was 9 months old.
She stole the show by being adorable (with my blessing :redheartpump::redheartpump:).

The drama was when my cousin wanted to announce her engagement during the reception. My aunt approached my parents and said that she wanted the DJ to announce it. They told her NO. They couldn't understand why and were offended. I heard about it afterwards.

During the reception, DH and I got cornered by his uncle who tried to convince us to join his Amway team. We politely declined. :rolleyes2:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to a wedding where the mother kept incessantly making speeches. The son said: “Mom, I think it’d be nice to hear a little something from dad now,” and she slapped him across the face. Everyone gasped. He said to her: “Mom, you can go home now.” :oops:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to a wedding where the mother kept incessantly making speeches. The son said: “Mom, I think it’d be nice to hear a little something from dad now,” and she slapped him across the face. Everyone gasped. He said to her: “Mom, you can go home now.” :oops:
That has to be in the ten!!!!

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My best friend of many years got sick, we assume food poisoning from restaurant rehearsal dinner. Spent the morning puking. Makeup artist was an hour late. Wedding started 2h 15m late. 75% of guests had ledt because it was an outdoor wedding at end of summer in Florida.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our DJ was a fail. When he announced the bridal party, he mispronounced one name and announced my SIL by her maiden name and she had been married for 4.5 years! He also didn't even have our first dance song, and yes we had told him what it was. I'm so glad we didn't have to pay him, he was a gift from my MIL. However, we've been happily married since and will be celebrating 12 years this October!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My family and I were invited to the wedding of a cousin's daughter. My cousin was the father of the bride but his wife was the one who handled all the preparations for the wedding, thus table seating. She sat our family in the very back of the room. My oldest aunt was a tell it like it is kind of woman and loudly said, "who do they think they are putting us in the back of the room!" :eek: We all snickered because we felt the same way but didn't have the nerve to say it.:biggrin: As a result our family was never invited to their next two daughters' weddings. My husband was thrilled.:lol:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds wonderfully peaceful. That's exactly what I want to do if I ever get married. Minus my evil mother of course.
M maggiedemi it wasnt what i wanted but it was a split decision to rush to get married ... i had always wanted a beautiful wedding dress in white and to look pretty

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had always wanted a beautiful wedding dress in white and to look pretty
I wanted that when I was younger, but now my nerves are so bad after so many years living with my mother, I just want a quiet justice of the peace wedding.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My sisters wedding. At the time both I and one of the other bridesmaids were a couple months pregnant, the church was hot and airless, the Catholic ceremony long and we both worried before it was over that one or the other would either puke or pass out.

Turned out it was the men with the issue. As they were kneeling, the groom suddenly stood up and went out a side door. The priest followed shortly. They came back in a few minutes and the ceremony restarted. The bride and groom finally stand up to say their vows and the groom turns and heads out of the church again. Priest follows and they are out there at least five minutes. Everyone is looking around, including my sister, like what happens now. They finally come back in and the priest pulls a chair over and behind my brother in law to be, so if he can sit down if need be and get this finished.

Vows happen and then more prayers start when we hear a commotion across the aisle on the grooms side and there are two of the groomsmen dragging an semi conscious third groomsmen over to the chair. Seems they had all been out the night before and everyone was nursing some serious hangovers and upset stomachs. Dummies

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of anything happening at a wedding I've been to where drama happened. The only thing I can think of is when my dad's cousin got married it was pouring outside and it was an outdoor wedding at an apple orchard. There was a tent, but the entrance to the tent ended up getting flooded so you had to scale a giant puddle to get out.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not been to many weddings, and luckily the ones that I've been to were drama free - though I caused the drama at the first one I went to as I was a toddler and part of the bridesmaids, and tried to climb into the pizza oven at the reception (the couple were Italian). I later unplugged the disco:lol:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wedding #1: I was the drama. It was my brother's wedding, and I was 4 years old. They had put out a drink next to each plate at the reception. Someone didn't get the memo about a kid being at that place setting, and I drank it. It was some sort of booze: ouzo, maybe? It was awful and I threw up. I was so embarrassed, I ran into the bathroom, and locked the door so no one could see me. They had to call a locksmith to open the door. Mom gave me orange soda to settle my stomach. To this day, I can't drink it, even though orange is my favorite scent.

Wedding#2: My eldest brother. I was a teenager, and now savvy enough to know where the booze was at weddings, and I did have some without Mom or Dad seeing me, and no puking, so people could actually use the bathroom! It's a shame some of the other guests couldn't handle their liquor, as they got drunk, and stole the centerpiece on their table, and also the candle holders. Brother and his wife didn't know until a few days later until the reception hall told them, and they had to pay for the items or ask their guests if they took them (they gave them back).

Wedding#3: I wasn't at this one. We had taken Dad to the ER. While we were in the waiting room, a bride, in her dress and veil, came in, pushing the groom in a wheelchair. He thought he had broken his ankle (it was only sprained). Guests got drunk at his wedding, and got into a fight. The groom tried to break it up, and got hurt. I said to them, "Remember: memories last a lifetime!", and they laughed.

My wedding: no real drama, but I was getting over the flu, and my nose kept running. My Matron of Honor forgot the bring the box that had emergency supplies, such as the Irish linen wedding hanky I bought. At the altar, I kept tilting my head up to have the mucus run back up. When everyone was praying, I took the opportunity to wipe my nose on the back of my hand.Yuck. Also, I had been on my feet all day, starting at 7 AM. We got out from the reception at 10 PM, having to clean up, as my sister-in-law told the hired help they could leave early! (They were her friends.). I had to clean up the reception hall, still dressed in my bridal clothing. It took us 3 hours. By the time we were done, my feet were swollen and bruised, and I could barely walk to my husband's car. I also had a pounding headache. We stayed in a B&B down the road, and sat in bed, watching true crime documentaries. So much for a romantic wedding night! However, the other Marine and his new wife on the floor above us were making up for us, and I thought their bed would come crashing down through the ceiling at 3 AM. (It is an 18th Century building, thin walls and no sound-proofing.)

And this is why I had NO alcohol at my wedding!

Last edited:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you heard of the Brizezilla, then get ready for a Maid-of-Honor-Zilla.

I was a bridesmaid last fall in October for my close friend who was the bride. She was lovely, the wedding itself was fine, everyone else was great and friendly. But boy oh boy...her "Bestie", who was the Maid of Honour, was just beyond a constant jerk.

While the bride herself was easy going and really cared about including us in ideas or letting us be ourselves, the MOH constantly messaging us or telling us what to do, or completely shutting us out. It occurred both at the bridal shower, the planning in-between and wedding itself.

For instance:

- We were told what clothing, accessories, makeup or overall colours we were allowed to wear as to not outshine the bride because she is "THE QUEEN". Bride herself didn't make such demands.
- It was only her with pictures with the bride. We were allowed one group picture with her, otherwise like 90% of the photos taken were of the bride and MOH only. In all sorts of settings and poses. The bride's own MOTHER, a lovely person who put a lot of work into this wedding, was shut out in a lot of pictures. MOH was actually quite harsh when speaking about the mother too, like some really nasty comments.
- If ideas or questions were brought by the bride to engage with us, the MOH would say "You are the QUEEN it is bride's choice only! What do YOU want? Bride's decision!" - On friggin' everything, all the way down to talking about what umbrellas or shawls to use in case it gets chilly.
- She was making fun of other things I liked or tried to include for fun. For one of many examples, we were at the hotel playing fun wedding themed music that morning while getting ready.. I suggested "Get Me to Church on Time" from My Fair lady, which I thought was cute and fitting. Well, MOH completely made fun of it the whole time and bashed it 🤷‍♀️
- Only MOH to sit beside bride and groom at the head table, we were placed way on the side. A MOH sitting near the couple obviously isn't the big deal as it is pretty standard, but just the fact that we were so isolated away we could hardly engage with the bride.
- During the ceremony, she was the only one closest to the bride. The rest of us were much farther back. Yes, wedding etiquette does have the MOH closest in the lineup, but not so divided!
- MOH is married, and brought games to the wedding reception that were for couples only. Since I'm single and one other bridesmaid was, we couldn't partake the whole time.
- There is a lot more that happened, but to sum it up so not created a book on here...overall was she often cold, pushy or didn't listen during attempts at conversation.

I get that MOH's tend to have responsibilities and wanting to get stuff done. I also get wanting to boost your friend up - but not at the expense of others.

Granted, a lot of other people did a buttload of planning and setting up as well for both events, but she mainly took the credit for it.

Seriously, what was the point in having the rest of us bridesmaids :lol: I felt so pointless. I actually just ended up saying my well wishes and hugs and left home early at 9 PM. She doesn't seem to like the fact that she has other friends, and makes a point that she is the one and only bestie and attempts to keep others at a distance by shoving them away. It's not fun. I'm not trying to "invade" or "steal" anyone away, why can't someone have multiple friends or best friends and not be threatened or clingy? I'm totally cool with sharing friends! Even in her daily life outside of the wedding it is all about being best friends. I mean come on guys, we are all in our late 20's and mid 30's already, not 10 year old's.

Love my friend, she is wonderful in many ways, but their friendship dynamic isn't really the healthiest and not sure if she realizes that or ever will? They have been friends for around 7 years, so they somewhat go way back, so not sure if hanging on due to sentimentality or loyalty, or simply unsure about saying something in case the boat is rocked. Or think this behavior is actually positive and normal. If I saw my BFF treating my other friends like that I would've given them a major smacking.

Anyhow, I was originally really excited to be a Bridesmaid for the first time, but altogether ended up being such a flop of a day. Sort of put me off wanting to be a bridesmaid again. Long long long day for nothing, disappointing expectations when you want to celebrate a good friends special day.

Pardon my long venting post everyone! I know it was just a relatively brief period in the year and it is way behind me now, but I just needed to vent it all out. I didn't want to cause any drama at a wedding I was pretty stoic throughout and held a lot in. There is a time and place to engage back, and just keep letting the other person be the problem instead.

(At least thankfully it is all over, and if that behavior resumes in the future I can properly defend myself! :lol: And I learned a lot in what I want or don't want in my future wedding too!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t think I’ve really seen drama at a wedding. There could have been some at mine. I got married on the young side and had my even younger stepbrothers as ushers. They had never done that and likely hadn’t been to many weddings at that point. One thing that got forgotten in rehearsal was how to seat the grandparents. And possibly grandparent introductions but we had a huge bridal party. At that point my dad was single but my mom being remarried meant I had 6 grandparents and 3 parents to put on the brides side. Our old church wasn’t always a church so the brides side was much smaller than the grooms. And it didn’t fit everyone properly. (My late step grandmother was a very large woman.) So somehow my dad’s parents got seated with my DH’s family. Grandma was a STICKLER for stuff like that and I have a lot of childhood memories of her on the kitchen phone with her sisters gossiping and “itchin” about things. So when I found out that had happened I knew she would have been mad!! Mad mad! I didn’t know until after the ceremony. DH’s grandparents were too elderly to make the trip, BIL was a groomsman and SIL was in the back with a fussy baby; so he only had a few on his side. I tried to cut it off later by thanking my grandparents for representing DH’s since they couldn’t be there. I’m not sure if it worked but no one has told me otherwise and I’m not asking! :lol:

cassiopea cassiopea I think wedding culture has changed drastically in the last 20 years. I hear so many more stories about things like this! Extravagant seems expected now with expensive bachelorette weekends/trips, showers, etc. Its a shame because it feels like my memories of being a bridesmaid are a lot more fun. But then most of my friends and I didn’t have a ton of extra $$ anyway. Its sad so many people are losing sight of what really matters…the marriage and the people there to celebrate. At least you can be better prepared when your turn comes!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm. I guess I will do a little of both. (There is a bit of drama with my own wedding, too.) This is a long one.

First wedding with drama: My oldest sister had several bridesmaids, including our two other sisters and me. She selected fuchsia dresses for us. As some of you know, I have auburn hair. My sisters are all blonds. The other bridesmaids were blond and brunette. Seems like a non-issue other than the fact that I look awful in most pinks. Nope. My sister wanted me to dye my hair for her wedding. When I refused, she kicked me out of the wedding party. She brought it up for years afterward. (I have also been told to lose weight for a wedding to "fit in." I have lipedema. It is not that easy I declined the invitation.)

Second wedding drama: My husband's family--excluding his sister--did not want us together. When his second oldest brother married, my husband and I had been dating for five years, which was longer than the bride and groom. He was asked to be in the wedding. Even though my husband does not particularly like this brother, he agreed just to keep the peace. To start it off, they harangued and harassed him into cutting his hair super short. (It was just past his shoulders at the time.) My husband hates confrontation and did it, even though it affected his self-esteem. I was livid at them and hurt for him. At the reception, he sat with the wedding party, and his brother and new wife placed me way in the back with people I did not know. I had recently had surgery, so I was using my wheelchair all the time to get around. The people were kind of mean to me, so I am guessing they had been biased beforehand. When it came time for dinner, I had no way of getting anything when the table was called. When my husband came over after the toasts were over, he was so upset about how I had been treated that we left.

Third wedding: His eldest brother got married five weeks before my husband and I did. (They did not know about our upcoming wedding.) Again, my husband was asked to be in it and then harassed about his hair (and, now, sideburns). He was upset but shaved his sideburns knowing they would grew back well enough for our wedding. The invitation came, and I was not invited. He almost did not go. During the ceremony, brother number three's baby daughter had an accident, so his fiancee took her to the bathroom, where, what we will call a poop explosion happened all over the fiancee's dress. (This is an out-of-town wedding for everyone.) She stayed in the bathroom until after the ceremony and texted brother number three. New bride flips out after B3, said he had to drive them to the hotel because he would miss some pictures. She told the fiancee she could get the stroller and walk the six miles back to the hotel. Obviously, B3 said no and drove them. They were so angry that neither returned. The bride still complains about how my husband and B3 "sabotaged" her wedding by having long hair and "creating a scene."

(FYI: My husband was best man for B3. He was not asked to change his appearance, and I was invited to the wedding. Eldest brother an his wife showed up for about 10 minutes and managed to be rude to everyone. Especially me. They drove three hours to get there.)

My wedding was wonderful but not without some level of drama. As stated, his family did not want us getting married. We had been together for seven years at this point, but they still had never really spent time with me, excluded me whenever they could, and, in some cases, actively tried to fix him up with other women. (B3 had come around a bit, mainly due to his now wife who adores me. As mentioned, his sister has always loved me.) I only speak to one of my sisters and her three children. Because of those things, we decided to not tell anyone who was not invited and to only invite a total of seven people. I ordered wedding announcements that went in the mail on the way to the wedding.

Everything about it was wonderful! I made most of the decorations, the cake was a gift from my son's former boss, the officiant loved our weddings so much that she did not charge us, and the photographer gave us a massive discount. We are on friendly terms with the owner of our local Chinese restaurant. When she heard we were (finally) getting married, she offered to do a dim sum reception with some other Chinese entrees. (Not for free, obviously, but it was exactly what we wanted!) The only expectation that we had was that the officiant turned up and that at the end of the day, we were married. It was 5 November and 75 F in one of the prettiest locations in Ohio.

My husband and I walked down the aisle together to the song "Time Machine." He took off my shoes for me when we got to the door so that I could walk on the carpet. He was so excited to marry me that he kept saying "I do" at all the wrong parts. It was adorable.

If you are wondering how things turned out with his family. Well, I made him call his mother that night after the reception. She was shocked but tried to pretend she was okay. A couple of weeks later, we invited her to our house for dinner. I wrote her a thank you letter and explained that she and I were always going to be on the same side because we both love my husband. It completely changed our relationship. I am, according to my sister-in-law, their mother's favorite daughter-in-law. I love her to bits, and I like to think that she loves me, too. The eldest brother and his wife are not really part of our lives, and neither is the second brother. Their grandma adores me. We have long talks on holidays now and occasionally talk during the rest of the year.

If you are wondering why they did not like me. It is complicated, especially since some disliked me for different reasons. Essentially, it comes down to a mix of them thinking that I am a disabled godless heathen who cannot have any more children and who turned my husband into an atheist. (He was atheist when we met.)

16602373_375202492857850_583103422378106146_o.jpg 16423107_375202816191151_8122137692060439113_o.jpg 16601988_375201756191257_563853647254008591_o.jpg wedding3.jpg wedding11.jpg wedding12.jpg