Question of the day - June 3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is something most of us, except the outside-only, indoor-outdoor and feral folks, have to deal with daily :). I just finished taking care of Poppycat's litterboxes, and thought I'd ask and see how things are for others.

What depth of litter do you/does your cat prefer?

My boy isn't terribly finicky. I'd thought for a long time that he liked it at about 3 inches deep, but lately that depth wasn't working because I'd started using a different litter and his feet were gettting goopy and messy. I initially experimented with less litter in one of his boxes and to my surprise, he doesn't care that I changed things. He's an accommodating cat, bless his little heart :lovecat2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow just doesn’t care about her litter box. She uses it without complaint when it’s dirty or low on litter. When I was trying to convince her, unsuccessfully, that it was perfectly okay to use two litter boxes, I let the one she was using stay uncleaned for two weeks and she continued to use despite the pristine box sitting right next to it.

I use puppy pad liners and if the litter gets too low she will scratch at the pad so I try to keep between two and three inches of litter in her box.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Litter-Robot has a line to which I fill it. The middle is about 4" or so. I think. The regular box upstairs usually has 2"-4". It is technically the emergency box because the cats prefer the robot. With nine cats, two are going to want to go at the same time sometimes!

The other day, I did my weekly cleaning of the robot and had a line of cats waiting to use it! It was the weirdest thing. I wish I would have taken a picture or a video. Of the nine, six were in line and one was just hanging out watching them, waiting for the robot to start turning. Silly cats!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a couple of inches.
Does everyone else's cats pee in exactly the same spot every time? It makes it easier to clean that spot as elsewhere is untouched and pristine. I'm not including poos here.
We have a couple of trays so the others are more scruffy. It's Oliver that is precise. Maybe he's got OCD.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About a couple of inches.
Does everyone else's cats pee in exactly the same spot every time? It makes it easier to clean that spot as elsewhere is untouched and pristine. I'm not including poos here.
We have a couple of trays so the others are more scruffy. It's Oliver that is precise. Maybe he's got OCD.
Mooch does that but it's not easier to clean unless I pick the box up and turn it around. For her it's just a mobility issue.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m not sure what they prefer, but what they get is about 3 to 3.5 inches. :) I can’t use more or like MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles ‘s Mooch, Lily pees over the side. She’s arthritic and has trouble squatting. mightyboosh mightyboosh , Lily always pees in the same spot in the same box. The other girls don’t seem to have a preference and will use any of the three boxes.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like it the deeper, the better, so I keep it at least three inches. Neither likes the high-sided box, but Mingo will sometimes use it. He's big enough to see over the side for ambushers, but Lily isn't. I've switched to Clean Paws, which helps a little with the tracking.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli isn't too picky, but he loves to scratch at his litter. Usually we have 2 - 3 inches of litter in his box. If it's higher, he has it all over the hallway.

Mowgli has a favorite spot to pee in - back right - and another to poo in - center left. You rarely find anything anywhere else in the box.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep it filled to the line on box which is 7 pounds/ Cal is a digger, litter all over when she poops, then
covers it for about 1 minute, I guess that is something in her to prevent another animal from finding
her scent, darling girl

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Puar likes to dig so it doesn't seem to matter how deep it is, he'll push it all to the back so that the front is entirely exposed.
I ordered a new litter box this week as I had been using the one his previous owner gave me which is a very ugly corner box that is hard to clean. I got a regular rectangle box that is hopefully XL with a bit of a deeper bottom. I'm hoping the transition between the two boxes won't cause problems! The new one has a door, but you can also prop the door up so that the entrance is always open. We'll see if Puar cares! It would be nice if i could keep the door down as sometimes he kicks litter out of the box (and occasionally pieces of poop get kicked too!!) also just the noise of him scratching around might be dampened by the door.

Plus the new box looks better and should be easier to clean!

Old one looked sort of like this, with a pretty shallow tray:
1591260218428.png

new one is this one:
1591260271292.png