Question of the Day, June 19, 2024

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :dancingblackcat: Many of the states across the U.S. have been experiencing exceptionally hot and humid weather. I’ve noticed more and more people walking their dogs early in the morning for obvious reasons. Fortunately we have air conditioning but the electric bill is going to be a whopper this month. I set the thermostat at 75 Fahrenheit.

IF YOU HAVE A/C WHAT DO YOU KEEP THE THERMOSTAT AT?
IF YOU DON’T HAVE A/C WHAT DO YOU DO TO STAY COOL?

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a split system and today had it at 24C, because it's a very cold winter here this year. I rarely use it in summer, the ceiling fan and a portable fan I have are generally enough unless we have a run of days in the high thirties.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used to keep it at 78 in the summer. I’ve been putting it at 75/76 but DH (who works in the heat) turns it to 74. DS and I were shivering last night! :rolleyes2:

I’ve been leaving the shades and blinds closed when the sun is on that side of the house. I miss my view and it feels closed in like that. Thankfully our big tree shades the livingroom.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We put mini splits in back in 2023. Rick likes them at around 72 in the living room and 73 in the bedroom. We turn the dining room fan on to move the air around a bit. If I get chilly and some days I do, I'll put on a long-sleeve tee shirt. At night, I'll turn on the electric blanket if I get too cold. I tend to mind the cold more so than the heat.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, I do have A/C. I could probably live without heat, but I couldn't do well without A/C unless I could spend my time sitting in the water. I am not a hot weather human!

I usually set it to 76 during the day and 74 at night, since it gets a little stuffy in my bedroom and I think my dog gets hot. I am also dreading the electric bills this summer.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have my AC set at 80F, the thermostat is upstairs but we have our living area in the walkout basement so most of the cool air drops downstairs and keeps it between 75F and 78F.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i will wet a towel freeze it if possible then drape that frozen or wet wrung out towel over my head/shoulders and sit in front of a fan
My sis and I did something similar growing up. We'd hold a washcloth under cold water then put it on our forehead. 😅

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because the furnace that was in our house when we bought it was 30-some years old, one of the first things we did when it got warm enough was put in a high efficiency furnace and central air. We keep the thermostat at 74° and the shades/ blinds on the south side closed during the day. We also have ceiling fans in the living and dining rooms, and another in the bedroom that doesn't have a heating or a/c outlet

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have central air, but do have a window air conditioner that is installed in the bedroom. Comfort for sleeping is the most important thing for us. It is set at 23 which might sound high but it's actually quite cool. We only turn it on at night for sleeping.
Our basement stays pretty cool so we don't have to do much down there.
As for the rest of the house...the classic rules for keeping the house comfortable routine is followed.
Keep blinds/curtains closed during the day
If it's cooler outside than in at night, we open the windows but close them first thing in the morning.
Keep the air moving with the ceiling and floor fans we have.
Have the dehumidifiers running to help with the humidity....our summers tend to be very humid.
Try to keep the indoor cooking to a minimum and avoid using the oven all together.
Wear as little clothes as possible while still maintaining at least SOME decency :lol:

We're actually in the middle of a heat wave right now....currently 31C with a humidex of 39C...so 88F but feels like 102F

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate air conditioning! All the stores, restaurants, coffee shops feel like winter! Dad has 2 window air conditioners going. One says 75. I can't even tell it's summer unless I go outside, and I'm not outdoorsy. Sucks. I love heat & want to feel it

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Central Air, but currently have it turned off. Since my DW is off on her 2 week visit to see family it's not imperative that I need the A/C on. A fan works fine for me. Also I'm happier with a lower Electric Bill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve been leaving the shades and blinds closed when the sun is on that side of the house.
Ditto! :yeah: When the sun comes in on the East side of the house I have all the window treatments closed and when it comes in on the West side in the afternoon I do the same.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My house was built so that it gets no direct sunlight during sommer months. That goes a long way towards keeping it cool inside. I do have air conditioning with the daytime thermostat set at 74 and nighttime at 72. But for a good part of the summer it doesn’t go on. I have a humidifier running the basement and a “fan on” setting on the furnace which circulates cool and dehumidified air from the basement thru out the house. That keeps it pretty comfortable most of the day, especially when we have cool overnight temps.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband is always cold so the central A/C is set at 78°F (25°C). And he’s sitting there wearing a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. I’m wearing a short-sleeved T shirt and shorts, and I’m hot. The ceiling fans in each room help, and I close the blinds on the west side of the house in the afternoon.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The AC at work is set on 70. The AC at my place and the cattery is more around 76-77 normally, but in the late afternoon I bump it down to 75. This part of the house doesn't heat up until the late afternoon, despite it being on the east side. 🤷‍♀️ Being so hot right now I want to keep it comfortable for them.
neely neely my sister and I used to do that too! Sometimes we'd wet a few wash cloths, roll them up a bit or fold them, freeze them, and take them to bed. That was so refreshing and one time I remember sitting on the couch and chewing on it until my Mom noticed and made me stop! 🤣

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the window unit in the kitchen set at 73 and energy saver.There's a ceiling fan in the dining room and another smaller unit in the bedroom window.Not sure what it's set on,but it keeps the bedroom around 70,and we have a ceiling fan here as well.