Question of the day Friday, September 30, 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Books.  Way too many ebooks.  Always at a discount, but still way too many.

I also got some perfume recently, when I found a really good sale online, but that's more for Roger than for me.

Margret
You must check out Bookbub.com for ebooks. They have SO many free ones! https://www.bookbub.com

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Books.  Way too many ebooks.  Always at a discount, but still way too many.

I also got some perfume recently, when I found a really good sale online, but that's more for Roger than for me.

Margret
You must check out Bookbub.com for ebooks. They have SO many free ones! https://www.bookbub.com
Where do you think I'm getting them?  BookBub, Early Bird Books, Free Nook Books, Nook Deal of the Day, recommendations from Amazon "based on my browsing history," recommendations from Barnes & Noble, likewise.  I basically grab everything that's free, but then I get tempted by the others.

Margret

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Where do you think I'm getting them?  BookBub, Early Bird Books, Free Nook Books, Nook Deal of the Day, recommendations from Amazon "based on my browsing history," recommendations from Barnes & Noble, likewise.  I basically grab everything that's free, but then I get tempted by the others.

Margret
Oh boy... maybe I shouldn't have read this, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Margret
I have no idea. That's why I recommended Bookbub for free (and cheap ebooks)! The non-free books are tempting sometimes, aren't they?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's a second hand book shop near here that will buy your old books from you and let you buy once read books very cheaply. I always shop there, I force myself to sell at least as many as I buy. It's the only way I can prevent myself being crushed by huge walls of books crashing down on me.

I daren't go on any online shopping sites that let you have books for free. I have no self control.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
I have no idea. That's why I recommended Bookbub for free (and cheap ebooks)! The non-free books are tempting sometimes, aren't they?
Many years ago I told a friend that it was dangerous to visit Powell's (largest English language book store in the world, in Portland, Oregon).  He thought I was talking about getting mugged.  No, I was talking about how many books I'd buy whenever I went there.  Books are my great addiction.  My mother told me that my first word was "story."  She was lying -- I've seen my baby book and it was "Mama," just as it is for most children, but there was a kernel of truth in the lie.  When I went to first grade I was immensely relieved that finally someone was going to teach me to read so I wouldn't have to wait around for the grownups to read me stories.  By second grade I was reading at a fifth grade level and couldn't figure out why the grownups were so impressed when I read through a second grade book in about half an hour, and by third grade I was getting into trouble for reading through the entire new Reading textbook in the first week of school.  By fourth grade I managed to restrain myself for a whole month, with a great deal of difficulty.  And then I still got in trouble.  Some teachers just don't understand.

There are some advantages to being tempted by some of the discount ebooks, especially ones by new authors.  Every once in a while you run into a new author who's basically self published (just through Amazon or wherever) and doesn't have any money to pay a copy editor, so she's doing it herself.  Good way to miss little errors, and an interested reader can sometimes catch them.  If she includes her email address in the book (and many do), a fan letter that includes a mention of a few typos can get you on her early release list so that you can get future books for free in return for minor copy editing.  If you enjoy her books it's well worth it.

If you really want entirely free ebooks, check out http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/ and https://librivox.org/.  Project Gutenberg has it as their Quixotic goal to put all public domain books into electronic format, and Librivox has it as their equally Quixotic goal to put all Project Gutenberg books into audio format.  I have the Librivox app on my Android phone.  I'm currently listening to Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse.  And remember, public domain books include almost everything by Arthur Conan Doyle, Rudyard Kipling, Mark Twain, Kenneth Grahame, L. Frank Baum -- virtually all the classics.

Margret

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@Kat0121, thank you for doing the QoTD!

I love books. I adore books. Books are the greatest treasures on the face of this earth. I love cookbooks, too, and have bought three of them in the past few months. But I don't consider cookbooks strictly for me.

Back in January I bought a iPad Air 2 for me for my birthday. I love my iPad more than I ever thought I would. It's just an amazing device, IMO. I use it instead of my laptop (which is now Rick's laptop, since we got rid of the Vista computer). I use my iPad now for library books and my B & N e-books. I'm still using my Nook with the Kindle app for any free Kindle books that I download. And, other than cookbooks (I doubt I'll ever stop buying cookbooks; it's like a disease, I swear), I cannot tell you when the last time was that I actually bought an actual book, hard or soft cover.

That iPad rocks. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I need to finish unpacking what I bought this weekend, but off the top of my head, room fragrance oil, candles, and a cookbook.