Question Of The Day, Friday, September 20

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess: (I live for weekends)

Let's talk about tipping. Do you tip at restaurants? When you get a delivery or when contractors come to your house to do a job? What about at your hair appt? How much do you tip?

We always tip, unless there's been a major problem. One night we were at a restaurant and our waitress was too busy talking with her friends to come over to give us our check. She walked by and I said, "Ma'am?". She responded with "Hang on. I'll get to you." And there went her tip; I watched Rick take it off the table. After ten minutes went by, she finally came back with our check. We had exactly the right amount for our bill and that was it. Rick was angry. She wasn't busy; she was chatting. There's a difference.

But we always tip when people come to the house to deliver something (the elliptical, for example, they delivered it and put it together. When the guys installed our kitchen cabinets, when they did our bathroom, we tipped. When the guy delivered the McShed, I gave him money; he was going to New York after us, so I told him to buy lunch and I also gave him some cookies and bottles of water for munching along the way). And I always tip the person who does my hair.

What about you?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than tipping waitstaff and hairdressers, I never know who or what to tip :headscratch:.

For waitstaff, I learned the trick of doubling the first digit of the bill, and you'll always end up between 15% and 20%. If it's on the high side ($49 vs $40, etc.) I'll add an extra dollar. I've never had service so bad that I didn't tip, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.

For hairdressers, I tip $5. Since I just go to a cheap place like Costcutters, that's a pretty good tip, about 25%. I'm not really sure what the rule for tipping hairdressers is, I just figure that anyone working at the average haircut place could use a nice tip.

Other than that, I usually have to google it and even then I'm never sure.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually tip 20%, but I have this thing (inherited from my dad) of having the amount of the tip and the amount of the bill add up to an even number, so it might be slightly over or under by a few cents.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
If a restaurant bill is closer to the higher number, I'll round up and tip 20% of that (ie, if the bill is $47, I'll tip 20% on 50). If I get takeout, I'll tip 15%. I've never not tipped a server because any problem I've ever had wasn't their fault (for example, once my husband's food came out undercooked. Not the waitresses' fault, but the kitchen's. Also when they are busy?? We heard someone absolutely chew out a waitress because she wasn't getting their food fast enough...on a Friday night, in a busy steakhouse with an hour+ wait...sheesh, patience is a virtue!). That being, said, I've never had a flat-out rude, dismissive waiter, either. If the service was particularly awesome, I've been known to give up to 35%.

Tip the bartenders $1/drink, if you order from them.

I tip any sort of service-giver (hair, massage, waxing, etc.) 20%, unless gratuity is included in the service price. If it is, I'll give an extra 5-10% (if their company allows them to accept extra tips).

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tip food delivery drivers. I also tip my hair dresser. I did tip a contractor who did repair work for water damage. He gave us a huge discount and would not let him pay us what we should have been billed. He would not let us actually give him a tip. I told him it was a Christmas present since this was near Thanksgiving. I also ordered us lunch when he was working one of my days off.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually always tip at least 20% with servers. I one time did the math wrong at a restaurant in San Francisco because the bill was very high and I had never paid that much for a meal in my life, so when I thought I was tipping 20% with $20 I was actually tipping 10%. I felt terrible about it when I realized I had undertipped.
My hairdresser is a friend from high school and I always tip her $10-15 on a $35 haircut.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess: (I live for weekends)

Let's talk about tipping. Do you tip at restaurants? When you get a delivery or when contractors come to your house to do a job? What about at your hair appt? How much do you tip?

We always tip, unless there's been a major problem. One night we were at a restaurant and our waitress was too busy talking with her friends to come over to give us our check. She walked by and I said, "Ma'am?". She responded with "Hang on. I'll get to you." And there went her tip; I watched Rick take it off the table. After ten minutes went by, she finally came back with our check. We had exactly the right amount for our bill and that was it. Rick was angry. She wasn't busy; she was chatting. There's a difference.

But we always tip when people come to the house to deliver something (the elliptical, for example, they delivered it and put it together. When the guys installed our kitchen cabinets, when they did our bathroom, we tipped. When the guy delivered the McShed, I gave him money; he was going to New York after us, so I told him to buy lunch and I also gave him some cookies and bottles of water for munching along the way). And I always tip the person who does my hair.

What about you?
No (as I never eat at restaurants), no (as I don't use these services) and no (hair appointment? What is 'hair appointment'? :crackup:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tip waiters $5.00 for a meal. I don't think 25% is enough unless I get bad service. I tip the hair dresser and someone making heavy deliveries. I tip sometimes when I get food to carry out. I don't tip the trash men but I do tip the paperboy.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always tip servers and foodservice delivery people. I also tip on the rare occasion I get coffee/tea at a shop. I put myself through college working at a restaurant, and my husband has been a delivery driver. I also tip when someone helps me load my car when it is permitted. Not tipping would never be an option.

We live in a small village, so I actually know the postal workers and make sure they get appropriate gifts rather than tips. There are a lot of restrictions on what they can accept. We also have two regular FedEx drivers who we tip within the company's regulations. They get a tip when they drop off something large and once a year at the holidays. We also give a holiday tip to our trash collectors. They are hired by the village, so there are restrictions on them, too.

I do not go to hair salons, so that is not something I need to worry about.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, pretty much 20% for servers, drivers, haircuts, and for our lawn guy we tip a month's amount at Christmas. At least a dollar a drink for bartenders. Usually more unless they're just really doing the bare minimum then a buck a beer. If I have cash on me, I try to tip in cash. If service is kind of bad, I get my calculator out and calculate 15% to the penny.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No (as I never eat at restaurants), no (as I don't use these services) and no (hair appointment? What is 'hair appointment'? :crackup:
Haha, I'm with you... I hardly ever eat in restaurants, as I can make better food at my house for far less money. If I pay good money for an item like a fridge or an oven and "free delivery" is included, I'll slip the guys enough to buy a few beers after work, but that's about it. I used to tip a gal pretty well to cut my hair, but I started cutting my own hair a long time ago as yet another way to save money. With hair as short as mine (Infantry standards), it makes no sense to pay anyone else to cut it, not when I have clippers & attachments and I can knock out the task in about ten minutes. What can I say? I'm a notoriously cheap b@stard, LOL... but I wasn't born rich, and I've had to earn every penny which ever came my way, so that probably has something to do with it. Meh, I still eat well, no worries, and at my age I'm long past caring how anybody perceives my low-maintenance cut. If someone judges me by my haircut, he or she is probably not the kind of person I wanna know anyway, aye? :confused:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We normally only just tip if we've really enjoyed the food and or service.
You're in England right? It really is a whole different thing. I grew up in Japan, which also doesn't have a tipping culture (we lived on a military base but still, we ate in Japanese restaurants), and it takes a long time to get used to the tipping expectations here in the US. I wish it could be done away with, but for now it is what it is and I'm not going to take it out on the workers.

I'm just glad I don't live in a big city with taxi drivers and doormen and other complicated tipping expectations.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually around 20% at restaurants depending on service , a dollar or two for pizza deliveries and $5 or so to stylist depending on what she did and whether she seemed to listen to what I had asked for. I don’t tip anyone else.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In restaurants I tip 20% unless the service was bad and it was just the servers fault.
My hairdresser I tip 20% . It is a full service salon ( my splurge). She gives a great hircut and makes me feel special.

Delivery people not usually. Grocery delivery has a tip included.
I hate the whole tipping thing. I would rather pay more so the person could make a good wage. I hate to be expected to pay extra just because the person did their job.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I tip 20% across the board, e.g. restaurant server, hairdresser, etc. I always give the mail person a gift at the holidays as well as the staff at our favorite pet store and coffee shop.