Question of the Day, Friday, September 17

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to make a ton of soup when my dad was alive. My mom made the best soups, from scratch.; using the bones to make a hearty broth base, along with a chuck steak, in it, for flavor and meat.

My favorite was tomato soup. When I had a garden, I would use my garden tomatoes, instead of canned ones. I had them in the freezer.

I have perfected my version of chicken soup. I use tiny pasta with it. I cook the pasta separately and keep it separate.

I also love beet soup! Yes, from scratch: bones, chuck steak, and hand grated beets. So good.

My aunt used to make beet soup with beef stuffed pierogi, cooked in the soup!
OMG, to die for.
It was a 2 day process. First day was making the base both and cooking the beef in it, cooling it, shredding it. The next day was making the pierogi and Cooking them in the soup.

my minestrone is where I cheat: using Swansons broth for the base. Same with pasta fagiole.

I guess I be am spoiled by all the homemade soups I grew up eating.
Canned soup is blah to me, and too high in sodium

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely chili, with cheddar cheese melted on top. I don’t dip anything or use crackers, but it’s perfect with homemade cornbread muffins on the side. 😋

I haven’t bought it for awhile because it’s a large container, but Costco carries some delicious chicken noodle soup. The broth is great and the noodles taste homemade. (They’re often all at the bottom so you gotta stir ‘em up.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love soup, and now that I've just bought a new slow cooker am totally looking forward to making my favourites this fall, such as Lentil Soup, Black Bean Soup, and Minestrone.

My soup needs to have a thin broth, so no stews.

Rarely buy store bought soup, though once in a while I crave Spring Vegetable Cup A Soup. :paperbag:

Will usually nibble on crackers with my soup.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For homemade, which I very rarely make, it would be Minestrone. For canned it would be Chicken Noodle either Progressive or Campbell's Chunky. The store I go to usually has one or the other on sale and I get whichever one is on sale. I am not a big cracker person. If the store has them I will get a half size baguette, that with butter is my favorite with soup.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spring Vegetable hasn't been available for a long time. I liked it, too.
As far as I know, it's still available here in Canada. Granted the box I have in my cupboard has a best before date of Aug/21, but checking online grocery stores, it seems to still be an option. Will have to check next time I'm in a grocery store.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are big soup people and I'm chomping at the bit for some clam chowder,which is mostly the kind I buy ...well...that and tomato.I have so many favorites,it's hard to pinpoint a fave...portugese kale,butternut squash,oriental veggie,homemade chicken noodle...I could go on.I've been craving lentils recently,and of course when I went to the store they were out of stock,so they'll be on my list anmd I will stock up.There are several bean soups I make that we love too...guess I ought to stock up on beans as well.Chili I make often during the winter,and another go to here is chicken and dumplings.Come on cool weather!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are watching your carbs, beware of canned tomato soups. The little Campbell’s microwave can of classic Tomato soup has 30 grams of carbs in it, 2 grams MORE than a Snickers bar. Protein is equal in both.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love to make chili in the winter with cornbread on the side. For store bought soups I like McDougall's garden vegetable soup or Trader Joe's lentil soup.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad's corned beef, potato and onion soup is my favorite. I made it for my sister when she was sick and it didn't taste like Dad's. She told me I forgot the paprika!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad's corned beef, potato and onion soup is my favorite. I made it for my sister when she was sick and it didn't taste like Dad's. She told me I forgot the paprika!

That might be the soup of my dreams. It sounds amazing. :yummy:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know; in the military lexicon, s.o.s. is anything but a soup or stew. They served it to us often enough that I can tell.
:lol:i believe you and i agree but what else are you supposed to classify it as?not watery enough to be a soup and you cant really call it a stew made with ground beef and no chunks of meat or veggies

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 It is amazing. It's made with canned corn beef, the dry kind not the seasoned one with juices in the meat case in the store. I couldn't find a recipe for it online but I still remember how to make it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i believe you and i agree but what else are you supposed to classify it as?not watery enough to be a soup and you cant really call it a stew made with ground beef and no chunks of meat or veggies
The version that we got was like a white gravy with chipped- not ground- beef with no vegetables or anything else in it, served over toast. We got that a lot at the end of each quarter, when the food budget was running low and they couldn't afford anything better.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think traditionally it is with chipped beef but it is now often made with ground beef. No veggies in it, just the beef in a white sauce. I actually never had it while I was in the Army. It is something my ex introduced me to. It was something that he grew up with. He was born in West Virginia and moved to Youngstown when he was 12. His dad was a coal miner until they moved to Youngstown for a job in the steel mills so he grew up poor until he was 12 when they moved up to working class. He still liked it and I often would make mashed potatoes and have it over that instead of toast.