Question of the Day, Friday, September 17

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

We are moving toward fall and, at some point, it's going to get cooler. Crisp fall days always get me thinking more about soups and stews, using the oven more, baking bread and rolls, all that good stuff. My question today is: What is your favorite soup to make on chilly fall days? What is your favorite soup to buy? Do you like crackers with your soup or do you like to dip rolls or biscuits in your soup? Are you more of a soup person or do you prefer stews?

Around here, I tend to go with hearty soups and chowders. I'll put something together in the crock pot and let it go all day. After a day of working outside, it's nice to come in the house and have a bowl of hot soup and some rolls to dip. I love to make corn and potato chowder or chicken corn chowder; it's a bit thicker than a regular soup and it's more filling for us. Sometimes, I'll add a nice salad to the mix, but often, we'll just have soup or chowder with rolls and a small bowl of applesauce. It hits the spot.

What about you?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a favorite to make, though my app has some good ones I'll make once it's cooler.

Love butternut squash soup. Terribly miss broccoli cheese soup (especially in a bread bowl from Panera). Chicken noodle is always a solid choice, and I love my mom's turkey noodle she makes with Thanksgiving leftovers.

We always crumbled up saltines when I was a kid. My husband is more an oyster cracker kind of guy (he loves Campbell's clam chowder, which is currently on my cannot eat list, sadly, because it's good) so that's what we tend to have around, though bread is also a solid choice.

Looking forward to soup season now.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My absolute favorite soup is the Chicken Tortilla soup from McAlister's Deli. It's probably terrible for me but so yummy!

For homemade soups, definitely either my mom's chicken noodle or tomato soup. Her tomato soup is from the recipe of a local restaurant that has gone out of business and it's amazing. Leftovers make great pasta sauce as well.

I'm not great at making soup, though I'd like to perfect my chili and some sort of stew this year. I will say I make a mean chicken and dumplings, if that counts.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hubby and I were just having that conversation this morning--time for some soups! I'm making ramen soup tonight. It's a bit work intensive, but worth it.

Minestrone soup is also good, and I have a pumpkin chili recipe that's delish.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
She Crab soupand Lobster Bisque are my fave with chunks of warm Fread bread dripping with butter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grandmothers were both big soup makers so I grew up on amazing ones. Unfortunately neither had a written recipe for their soups.

My favorite to buy is Cream of Crab. I think my favorite to make is Split Pea and Ham. If I could I’d make my Grandma’s Italian Wedding soup. There’s a local Italian restaurant that makes one close to hers; but not quite the same.

I love a good toasted slice of bread with it. Preferably sourdough or Italian bread. If its a chicken stock based soup I’ll use saltines. They are ok in vegetable soups too. I love soup and a sandwich for lunch but ive been trying to watch the sodium so between soup and lunch meats and cheeses it can be too much.

I’m really the only soup fan in my house so I don’t make it too often. If I do I freeze portions so I can have it for my lunches.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Lentil soup recipe that I love that only takes about an hour to make. It has leeks and cabbage in it so it smells delicious while cooking and also freezes well.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmothers were both big soup makers so I grew up on amazing ones. Unfortunately neither had a written recipe for their soups.

My favorite to buy is Cream of Crab. I think my favorite to make is Split Pea and Ham. If I could I’d make my Grandma’s Italian Wedding soup. There’s a local Italian restaurant that makes one close to hers; but not quite the same.

I love a good toasted slice of bread with it. Preferably sourdough or Italian bread. If its a chicken stock based soup I’ll use saltines. They are ok in vegetable soups too. I love soup and a sandwich for lunch but ive been trying to watch the sodium so between soup and lunch meats and cheeses it can be too much.

I’m really the only soup fan in my house so I don’t make it too often. If I do I freeze portions so I can have it for my lunches.
My grandmother never made it but an Italian restaurant I used to live near did and I adored their Italian Wedding Soup. I have tried making it at home but it has never turned out the same.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To buy, I love Progresso chicken cheese enchilada, loaded baked potato, and lentil. Campbell's Chunky cream-based soups are also nice. Very unhealthy, I'm sure.

To make, I usually do chili or beef stew in the instant pot.

I like crackers but rarely have any around. So I usually just end up dipping a slice of bread in it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
To buy, I love Progresso chicken cheese enchilada, loaded baked potato, and lentil. Campbell's Chunky cream-based soups are also nice. Very unhealthy, I'm sure.

To make, I usually do chili or beef stew in the instant pot.

I like crackers but rarely have any around. So I usually just end up dipping a slice of bread in it.
Hubby is a Progresso soup fan but he only buys Progresso traditional chicken noodle. His go-to meal if we haven't planned dinner is Progresso soup and Ritz crackers.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken or turkey noodle is my favorite. My favorite store bought is Progresso Chickarina and the chicken noodle that Walmart has in the deli section. Marketside brand. It's very good. It's almost always sold out for a reason. I like crackers with my soup.

I'm not a fan of most stews. I don't like it when the vegetables and potatoes are cooked in the gravy. DD doesn't either. When I do make it, it's like a deconstructed version. The meat is slow cooked in the gravy. The potatoes and vegetables are cooked and served separately. The potatoes are usually mashed. The vegetables aren't always cooked. Sometimes a salad instead.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grandmother never made it but an Italian restaurant I used to live near did and I adored their Italian Wedding Soup. I have tried making it at home but it has never turned out the same.
My Grandma never called it that so I didn't know what to look up when I wanted it myself. She just called it soup with little meatballs. Sometimes the problem with my grandmother's dishes is that I have no idea how to spell the recipes that were like family heirlooms. I even went through my Grandma's cookbooks; but the recipes I was really after weren't written down. I wish I would have known to ask for them before they were not able to cook anymore.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite homemade soup is navy bean soup, and I have cornbread to go along with it.

Favorite brand soup is Campbell's vegetable beef. I eat crackers with all of Campbell's soups.