Question of the Day, Friday, September 11

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love silver/gray /blue colored cats as well as the Bengal colors so I typed in Silver then looking for inspiration for another word I looked at Blue and made eye contact and his eyes went black and lips lifted in a snarl and I thought I am Crazy bringing such an angry, antisocial cat home.
Now its Crazy because hes just a fun nutcase.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been working for the Belgian refugee board for more than 25 years, in particular with asylum seekers from African countries. I also visited several countries on the African continent throughout the years.
"mama africa" was the nickname given to me by one of my co-workers (a translator). It fits me and I kept it.
That is so sweet. I'm glad you kept it.💖

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is to honor a neighbor's cat who adopted us as her "grandparents," with her parent's knowledge and permission. Misty was a beautiful grey cat who was adopted by a college kid, who gave her to her roommate when they left college. The roommate lived about 3 houses up from us, the family already had cats. Misty became an indoor/outdoor cat, but she ended up spending more time with the neighbor across the street, so that family officially adopted her. They tried to make her indoor only, but she was miserable, so they let her go back to her wandering ways and she wandered down to our house one day. We had a habit of letting neighborhood cats (there were more outdoor cats back then) into our house, but I felt like maybe that was wrong of us and we shouldn't let Misty in, so we just interacted with her outdoors. At that time, we didn't know where she lived. One New Year's Eve Misty came around. It was late and cold, so we brought her in. We got the phone number off her tag and called her owners, and their voice message said they were in Germany for a month. Through other phone calls, we found out who was supposed to be watching Misty (the college kid's family), but we got no answer either phone or knocking on their door. At that point, hubby ran out to the store and got some food (Purina One Dry Food) and a litter box. We left messages where Misty was and we all settled in the evening.

We were both very unhappy with the people who were supposed to be watching her. When we talked to them the next day, they said they hadn't been able to find her and had somewhere to go, and were not going to wait around for "that cat." From that time on, Misty had a "vacation home" with us. We got to know the people who owned her, a couple from Germany who were here only temporarily on a job assignment. They were very happy to know that Misty could come to our house and have a safe place. She even occasionally slept here all night, and then leave in the morning. One day the husband called and asked if we had seen Misty because she hadn't been home the day before. I said yes, she's asleep on the bed upstairs, do you want me to bring her home? He said no, that's fine, he was just worried about her.

When they left, they took Misty with them. I was very sad, and very worried, because they were planning on shipping her cargo. I prayed a lot that month and I think someone heard my prayers. Misty spent that morning with us and we both cried when they came to get her. Only the wife was going at that time. Not too long after they left, the husband came back with the carrier. The first thing he said was there's no cat in here! He said the airline had refused to put her in cargo and required that they have a soft carrier to take her on board. He had to run out to the pet store, get a carrier, and take it back to the airport. He was annoyed and hubby and I were practically jumping with joy. He asked if we wanted the carrier, so we said yes. Misty made it safely to Germany (although we heard she meowed all the way, poor girl). They did call to let us know they and she were home safely, and on their property they had a fish pond that Misty was loving.

I don't know if Misty is still around or RB by now because it's been many years and we lost touch, but we loved that kitty very much. After she left, I was feeling very blue and decided I wanted to go to shelters and adoptathons to play with cats until I got past it. Hubby was more serious about actually getting one. We had never gotten a pet before then because we did a lot of traveling, but were pretty much settled in. Still, I was not convinced it was a good idea to get cats at our ages. I submitted applications to a few rescues and one of them called us to come look at their cats. It was Saturday afternoon and this place was quite some ways away. Hubby didn't want to go, but the counselor talked him into it, so off we went to "window shop." We were not prepared to bring a cat home, but I didn't reckon with Swanie. I said if we were getting a cat we needed to get two and I wanted two who were already bonded. They did have some that were in a room together, but we were walking around the room looking at the cats in their cages. When we got to one side of the room, I noticed a little black and white guy in a large cage in the middle of the floor. He was practically climbing up the cage to get our attention. I said what about that cat?! At one time he had a friend with him called Bunco they said he was good friends with, but Bunco had gotten adopted. I can't believe anyone would do that (just take one) but it was kismet I think, because it was love at first sight with Swanie and me. In the meet and greet room, hubby and I just looked at each other and the adoption counselor got a twinkle in his eye. Once we knew Swanie was coming home with us, I still wanted to get a second cat. I looked and looked and just didn't bond with any of them, until the counselor said "what about Cynthia?" We had overlooked Cynthia because she was sleeping in her bed in the back of the cage and not easily seen. She was so beautiful (dilute calico), and so very sweet, purring and making biscuits that we decided yes she was the one.

Without Misty, we would not have had those two beautiful souls (our heart kitties) in our lives, so I decided to honor her with my user name. (Sorry this got a bit long, a trip down memory lane for me).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the email I've had for nearly 15 years. My name is Alyssa (and my sometimes nickname is Lyssa), so I decided to do a play on Mona Lisa. The number 33 was because MonaLyssa was taken when I got the email and 3 is my favorite number, so I just did 33.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
After my cat, Margaret, who was named after my sweet MIL, Marge. I lost poor Margaret a few years ago (see the bottom of my posts), and I miss her so much.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a play on my name, though the spelling I chose is unfortunately the same as the infamous '80s singer who is, frankly, not a very nice person. :cringe: I wish I knew that when I signed up.