Question Of The Day, Friday, Sept 15

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning!:wave3: And Happy Friday! :banana1:

Our question this morning concerns our furry kids: How do your kids get water? Do you have water bowls? Fountains? Do you put ice cubes in their water bowls? How about the type of water? Is it water from your tap? Filtered? Do you buy water for them?

We have a huge ceramic water bowl for the cats and The Beast. I wash it, rinse it, dry it, fill it with ice cubes and water from a jug of spring water. Twice a day. We buy four gallons of water every week. We used to put out two large bowls after The Beast first came to live with us. But she was drinking both bowls completely dry and she's not allowed to have a ton of water. We give her full rein of the kitchen and the water bowl while we're gone during the day. Til we get home at night, the bowl is dry. I clean it out, replace with ice and spring water and then it's the cats' turn to drink; The Beast has to stay in the living room.

How do your kids get their water?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 3 aluminum bowls in the two bedrooms and 1 in the kitchen. I used bottled water because our water taste awful. All 8 of them loved water. They were always drinking it.

Muffin

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just have a bowl and use tap water. Sometimes I put ice cubes in the bowl but neither cat are interested. They're only interested when I carry the cube to the bowl :rolleyes:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli gets tap water in bowls in four different rooms: the living room, kitchen, bathroom, and study. He wouldn't touch his fountain and ignores dripping taps. He will drink out of a glass, though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi will only drink water in a dish on the bathroom sink. He will not drink water anywhere else. If someone is in the bathroom he bangs on the door! Maggie will drink water in any room, she doesn't care. I use stainless steel cat bowls. The faucet has a water filter. I do have a Drinkwell fountain. I'm dreading having to clean it, so I haven't used it yet. I wash the bowls with dish soap once a day. I rinse them out and refill once or twice a day.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Honeybee has this tiny milk white glass bowl from the 60s, we use those for veggie sides..we have it on a book to raise it up-it is now all puffy from water and a towel underneath-its on a table because I have a bad habit of knocking things over. Then a cup of water on floor in bathroom, another bowl in dining room, bowl on deck. We fill all daily and clean. and the master bathroom also has a container of water. Honeybee is always drinking water but the way she drinks it-more splashes than gets into her mouth. She loves syringes of water. Pumps just uses the bowls down on the ground.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For some odd reason Carleton and the cats before him have all liked the big stainless steel water bowl I used for our dog. I have always used tap water since we get Lake Michigan water.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bodhi likes to drink from the bathroom sink. So I keep that part way full of fresh water. I have a stainless bowl by his food in the kitchen but I rarely see him use that.

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!:wave3: And Happy Friday! :banana1:

Our question this morning concerns our furry kids: How do your kids get water? Do you have water bowls? Fountains? Do you put ice cubes in their water bowls? How about the type of water? Is it water from your tap? Filtered? Do you buy water for them?

We have a huge ceramic water bowl for the cats and The Beast. I wash it, rinse it, dry it, fill it with ice cubes and water from a jug of spring water. Twice a day. We buy four gallons of water every week. We used to put out two large bowls after The Beast first came to live with us. But she was drinking both bowls completely dry and she's not allowed to have a ton of water. We give her full rein of the kitchen and the water bowl while we're gone during the day. Til we get home at night, the bowl is dry. I clean it out, replace with ice and spring water and then it's the cats' turn to drink; The Beast has to stay in the living room.

How do your kids get their water?
Gia and her babies drink their water out of a container that refills as they drink. ..and sometimes I will put an ice cube in the bowl. ..they love it. ..

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had fountains for about 2 years, but they were a nuisance. Constantly had cat kibble and cat fur in the water, seemed like I had to change them very often.

Now (and for at least the past 4 years) I have 3 96 ounce steel water bowls: 1 in the breezeway, one in the kitchen, one in my bedroom. Then there are 2 small plastic 2 cup water bowls in the 2 bedrooms used by the cats, as well. I rinse out and refill with tap water once every 24 hours. During the day the dogs are out in the kitchen / living room / breezeway areas, the cats have access to the other 3. At night the dogs are in my bedroom w/ a gate up so they have access to that one bowl, and the cats have free run of the house.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Funny how they're all so different and like different routines, isn't it. :)

We have three fountains throughout the house. All four cats like them, fortunately.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside in his enclosure: His bowl is under his very own spigot. Every evening I dump out the pee or poop, rinse it out, and fill it up. (soap and water wash once a week).
Inside: Just refill his bowl every other day from the kitchen sink (soap and water wash once a week also)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 stainless steel bowls for Artie. One is on a separate placemat, next to his food, in the kitchen. The other one is in the great room, under a tall legged side table. He likes that one spot.

Although, Artie has been known to drink from the toilet bowl...yuck...

I have a water fountain for him, he never drank from it. He does drink more, when he has dry food.

I use Brita filtered tap water for him. Before the Brita, I used regular tap water.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some odd reason Carleton and the cats before him have all liked the big stainless steel water bowl I used for our dog. I have always used tap water since we get Lake Michigan water.
My guys are just the same....and the dog likes to use the smaller stainless steel cat bowl :confused: :lol: They all share both bowls pretty happily though. I just use tap water, and wash and refill the bowls every night.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two fountains and Leo, Seal and Diamond all seem to like them. They drink more water since I got the fountains. I know this because there are more and bigger biscuits in the litter boxes! Lilah is still isolated because, even after 3 and a half months, she is terrified of my male cats, who are fascinated with her. :redheartpump: I should re-name her Garbo - "I vant to be alone." She has a stainless bowl that I wash every day.

I get my water from a friend's well. She lives next to a state park and her water is great!

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Chula and Paul have a fountain in the kitchen. I have a Britta pitcher and that's where the water comes from for their fountain. They both love the fountain. When I'm cleaning it, Chula stands on her hind legs beside me to supervise the procedure. It's the only time she comes into the kitchen to watch what I'm doing. :catrub:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two water bowls, one designated kitty water bowl and the large stainless steal doggie bowl. The doggie bowl is technically Maisie the Great Pyrenees' bowl, but the kitties enjoy using it too and Maisie does not mind at all (Located in the kitchen). The kitty water bowl is in my bedroom, which they use happily as well - mainly the girl kitties use it.

And I use tap water, which comes from a well. Bowls of course are regularly cleaned :thumbsup:

I am intrigued by the idea of fountains though, just not sure if they would bond with the idea. In any case, they drink well, so if it isn't broke don't fix it I reckon.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a CatIt fountain near Casper's food dish. He LOVES using it. I also keep a small ceramic bowl of water near Cocoa's dish but she NEVER touches water. I think in the years she's been with us I've seen her drink only once or twice. There's no outlet at that area of the kitchen or I'd just put another fountain there because Casper will drink from her bowl also.

Good thing they only eat wet food!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 bowls spread around the house. 2 are stainless steel the others are ceramic. Even in the mountains fresh clean water is a must in Arizona. When I lived in Phoenix, I had something like 10 around the house.
I Brita everything. Our water used to be great, I could have bottled it. Then the town put up a bunch of wind mills about 25 miles away and it ruined the aquafir.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammie has a ceramic bowl. We have been having a water safety issue here. A company had been dumping a chemical called Gen X in the river!! All kinds of discussions & deals going on w/that now. They were supposed to stop, but are still being investigated. Erin Brockavich even came here!
SO, I used to drink & use water from a PUR filter on my fauset, but they say the only way to filter that chemical out is through reverse osmosis. So needless to say, most people here have been buying bottled water, including me! So Sammie gets bottled water.
Not that I ever see her drink it, since she eats wet food. I think I've only seen her drink a few rare times. Weather she does at night or not, I can't tell. I still change it out w/ fresh every day, including her bowl on the porch. I do put ice cubes in the bowl outside when it's hot out.