Question Of The Day, Friday, October 4

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Ditto, me too!

DH told me he has seen people at the self-check out put items in their bag and not scan/pay for them. :eek:
Do the beepers at the door catch them?
That part always seemed like a risky bet of the honor system, thrown in with some Russian Roulette. Someone is bound to do that on the daily. I wonder how they deal with that. Some of the stores we use that have these self scans have people at the door wanting to see your receipt, so maybe that helps.
I just remember pop machines eating my money when I was younger and don't want to do that with a bill bigger than a 5. Machines and I aren't buds :sigh:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do the beepers at the door catch them?
It's the grocery store so no beepers at the door. I would hope they have cameras but not sure. :dunno: There is usually a store employee in the self-checkout area to help with problems but if they're busy they can't watch everyone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remember pop machines eating my money when I was younger and don't want to do that with a bill bigger than a 5. Machines and I aren't buds
Oh, I've never used the cash option. Yeah, that would make me nervous too. But I use cards for everything.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so tired I thought the question was if I check myself out (as in look at myself in mirrors) lol

Anyway, I always go to self checkout. My anxiety makes certain social situations difficult. If I can avoid interacting with people I will lol

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My main grocery store, Lidl's, does not have a self checkout option. There is a big hardware store and another grocery store where I shop that do have self checkout. Usually I have a small number of items, so it is easy to use the self checkout lane, but if a human is free, I will use that lane, as I love to run my mouth! :p

Both stores that have self checkout have a weight system. You scan something and then you put it in a bag. If it's not the right weight, it beeps for a human. It's a problem at the hardware store when I only have a packet of screws to purchase. The scale does not register something that light and it always beeps for an attendant! In both stores there is a person that attends to just the self checkout, so problems are solved pretty quickly.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Ditto, me too!

DH told me he has seen people at the self-check out put items in their bag and not scan/pay for them. :eek:
One time when I was checking I brought 7 bottles of water and when I was done the lady wanted to see my receipt because she thought I did not run all the bottles across. She found out that I did pay for all 7 bottles and she said she was sorry. I was a little mad because she knew me. I have been going to that store for over 20 years.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's the grocery store so no beepers at the door. I would hope they have cameras but not sure. :dunno: There is usually a store employee in the self-checkout area to help with problems but if they're busy they can't watch everyone.
In most of the ones I use there are cameras right over the register. Also, if you do the self-scan, where you scan and bag while walking through the store, there are random audits. When you get to the register to pay if you are a random audit it calls for help and they randomly scan some of your items to see if you scanned them yourself.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. The only self checkout I have ever come across (at the stores that I shop at) is the Walmart in town, that I go to maybe every couple of months. I just go all the way to the end of the cashier line and hardly ever have to wait. It's like people don't know there are more cashiers if you keep walking to the end of the store. I guess it's good for me that people are lazy!:p
If my grocery store ever offered self checkout, I probably wouldn't use it either. We bring our owns bags (or we'll have to pay for plastic ones) and have to pack our own groceries, so I already do half the work. They do have a couple of baggers and cart guys but I let them help those who need it, they are not at all the cashes, they go to where they are needed.
I also often use coupons and collect/redeem points, get points for using my own bags etc... So I don't want to have to fiddle with all the extra stuff that needs to be punched into the system. I assume that you will need to get the assistance of a helper if you have coupons anyway, they would want to ensure that they are legit.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one that I go to has pretty sensitive sensors. You have to put what you scan in the bag before scanning the next thing and it will stop and bitch if it thinks something went in the bag that wasn't scanned. I have had that happen to me and I didn't put something in the bag that wasn't scanned it is just that sensitive. I go to the same store at the same time every week so the person supervising the self checkout just does something to tell the machine that it's okay. The machine voices bitches about everything must be scanned before going in the bag.

The one that I go to will ask if you have coupons when you punch the button that says you are done. The person supervising the lanes has a central machine and she scans the coupons.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the Walmart scanners can take coupons. You put them through a little slot when you're done scanning them to make sure you can't use them again. Idk if the attendant is looking at them too. Of course it needs to be a fairly straightforward coupon---you bought juice, here's a coupon for 20 cents off juice---I'm sure it would have trouble with something like buy one get one, where the clerk has to type in the value and all that. But I hardly ever use coupons so that's OK for me.

I always get water refills from the dispenser, and jeez, at least half the checkout clerks don't know to enter that. I know exactly how to enter it at the self checkout. I try to walk them through it when I have to use a clerk but I don't know if what they see is the same as the self-checkout. So whenever I have water I definitely try to use the self-serve.

A couple of the Walmarts in Sioux Falls have the weight thing on the computers, where the weight in the bag has to match what you scanned, and it won't scan anything else until it matches. That always causes problems. The one I go to most often and the one in my parents' town do not have that. I wonder if it has something to do with the shoplifting rates at that particular Walmart.

If there's something outside a bag, the Walmart door greeters are supposed to check your receipt to make sure you scanned it, so I get checked a lot because I always have water and kitty litter and many large cans of cat food. I don't know what good that is if the scale doesn't care what you put in a bag though. They don't check bags. But I once left Sam's Club without paying for something (back when they did an item count instead of scanning one thing) and didn't realize it until I got home, so even a more stringent cart check policy isn't perfect.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve had to tell DS not to sit on the bagging area. I was waiting to be told I had an unexpected 45lb item in the bagging area.:paperbag: :lol: Another reason to avoid them with kids! :p

At our Lowes the employee watching the self-checkouts is almost always bored and ends up ringing up our purchases.

Our Target only has maybe 4 self-checkout registers. They ALWAYS have a looong line of people waiting. So we go to a regular lane and end up out of the store before all those people. :dunno:

I kind of like making my kids learn to wait in lines. Its part of life elsewhere too. I’ve taught them how to put things on the belt appropriately so like items stay together and heavy things go first; so they will end up on the bottom of the basket when we reload. DD does a pretty good job reloading the cart. DS needs more supervision in general.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do if I have to. I go to Kroger on my way to work and they usually do not have a human checker open. Also WM early and late you have to use self check. If I only have a few things and the lines at the registers are long, I do self check. It is a time issue with me. Whichever I think will be quicker, even though I hate self check.

I hate the voice at Kroger telling you what to do. ANNOYING.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to put what you scan in the bag before scanning the next thing and it will stop and bitch if it thinks something went in the bag that wasn't scanned.
:flail:
I wonder if those self check outs are related to the swearing roomba :think: