Question Of The Day, Friday, October 4

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. No one knows how to bag items. At least I'm not stupid enough to put dish soap in the same bag as food. Or a bottle of soda with eggs or bread.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Often, unless I have a huge order. Most of the time there are only a few “regular” lanes open and the lines are really long. My supermarket lets you scan your loyalty card near the door and you get your own portable scanner. You go through the store bagging and scanning as you go along and only have to scan a barcode from your scanner to checkout and pay.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do both. The amount bought seems to be a common reason for which to use, which is interesting.
There always seems to be a little glitch that needs someone with a code to come scurrying along. It's usually something I've done wrong to be fair.
How about the shop and scan? I've not tried that,

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
I shop at the same stores. When you learn how they work it's convenient. Some stores it's not so simple.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not usually, unless I have only one thing and I'm in a hurry. Or I have no other option. I feel like I don't want to put the cashiers out of a job, and I also feel that if I'm doing the work of checking out and bagging, I should get a discount. Bad enough we have no option at the gas pump. Like the kiosks at MacDonalds. I refuse to patronize a place where I'm forced to use a Kioski. Not that I'm a fan of macdonalds anyway.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do. I didn't for a while because I wanted employees to keep their jobs but now I find that when I go to stores no one is being assigned to registers. If I need something behind the register I have to hunt for them. So I do use self-check. I'm no longer saving anyone's job if I do.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Often, unless I have a huge order. Most of the time there are only a few “regular” lanes open and the lines are really long. My supermarket lets you scan your loyalty card near the door and you get your own portable scanner. You go through the store bagging and scanning as you go along and only have to scan a barcode from your scanner to checkout and pay.
Boy, am I behind the times. I've never seen anything like that!

I mostly shop at stores that don't have that option, and have never tried self-check out in the ones that do.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The store that I usually go to recently put in the system where you scan each item as you shop. I usually go really early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and it isn't available. They have the stand where you pick up your scanner at the front door and all the scanners are displaying closed then.

When I go the self scan is the only lane opened so I have no choice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Self check outs were made for introverts but can be torture if something goes awry :runaround::paperbag:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to in the past when I had only two or three items, but Jewel, one of our main chains, has given up on them and removed the self-check stations from their stores. It's all checkers now. Jewel also hires disabled people, generally those with Down's Syndrome. It's nice to see them working and feeling useful. One I talked to had been working there for six years.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the self check outs. Usually the machine gives me crap and I have to find someone to help me un-jam the 20 I put in the slot or show me how to insert the codes on things like produce. In a regular line, I don't mind bagging my own things if the previous customer in line needs help to their car and the bagger helps them out.
A few times I've seen employees call customers over to these machines and do the work for them, which is nice, but I like talking to people so I choose to wait in line unless I'm called over.
A few times we've been in a store and they have 200 lanes, one is open and the line is snaking around the store back to the restrooms, and the employees are standing around doing nothing. That's not my favorite thing to see.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to in the past when I had only two or three items, but Jewel, one of our main chains, has given up on them and removed the self-check stations from their stores. It's all checkers now. Jewel also hires disabled people, generally those with Down's Syndrome. It's nice to see them working and feeling useful. One I talked to had been working there for six years.
:agree: Couldn't agree with that more if I tried. We know a slightly disabled man who works the register at a restaurant we sometimes go to, and the pride he takes in perfecting his job is really something. And he's so friendly to everyone and so nice to talk to.