Question Of The Day, Friday, October 19

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but if I had to pick one, well, it is when a young person of my same gender will address me as 'honey'.
Whoops, Sorry! Was it me that called you that? I do this all the time. I always think of Honey as a compliment. I like being called that.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
"I got this." (And probably don't got it after all.)

En pointe or on point. Doesn't that mean a ballerina is dancing on her toes?

Calling someone Honey or Sugar is a southern thing. Anyone of any age can be Honey or Sugar or even Sweetie. Poopsie Pie? Nope.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I got this." (And probably don't got it after all.)

En pointe or on point. Doesn't that mean a ballerina is dancing on her toes?

Calling someone Honey or Sugar is a southern thing. Anyone of any age can be Honey or Sugar or even Sweetie. Poopsie Pie? Nope.
It is seen by me as a sign of disrespect for my age, but that is not important these days it seems. I am 56 and do not know these 20-30 ladies who call me honey after I wait on them at the cash register. It is not right, here it is seen 'honey' as someone that is lesser, or needing to be pitied.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It is seen by me as a sign of disrespect for my age, but that is not important these days it seems. I am 56 and do not know these 20-30 ladies who call me honey after I wait on them at the cash register. It is not right, here it is seen 'honey' as someone that is lesser, or needing to be pitied.
I’m older than you are. When someone younger than I am—sometimes a lot younger—calls me ‘dear’ or ‘hon’ or ‘honey,’ it takes every ounce of self control I possess not to snap off her tiny head. Verbally, of course. It feels condescending and possibly ageist.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, I spent my summers in Oklahoma and have some family in Arkansas and Florida. It's a cultural thing and they don't mean any disrespect by saying it. I got used to 'honey' a long time ago. However, if a guy I don't know calls me that, he needs to be slapped - hard.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, like, ya know, at the end of the day, it's like, the fact of the matter is, like, in this day and age, it's like tough to think outside the box in any way, shape or, like, form, ya know, so we, like go with the flow and, like, take the path of least resistance, and, like, even a diamond in the rough is a cheap knockoff, so it's a no-brainer to go back to square one, and, like, buy into the metrics and functionality of, like, the fact that actions speak louder than words, ya know, and, like, a picture's worth a thousand words, so, like, actions are, like better than words, but, like, only one one-thousandth of, like, pictures, so before we draw a blank we should, like, draw the line, go back to the drawing board, and just, like, draw stuff instead of, ya know, talking - ya know what'm sayin'?
That pretty much,like,says,it all,like,you know, seriously

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate when someone says "I will reach out to .. Why not just say I will have x call you. And "Have a nice day" - the person saying it really does not care. Or when I walk in to a store and they say "Welcome to X"

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I won't be calling anyone Honey anymore. :eek2:
I like being called Honey & Sweetheart. When I was in Texas, someone called me Princess. I thought that was weird, but I liked it. I guess I'm odd. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoops, Sorry! Was it me that called you that? I do this all the time. I always think of Honey as a compliment. I like being called that.
I call it a term of endearment, but I glue my mouth shut now because someone my age calling a girl of 20 "honey" is probably not the most politically correct thing on the planet.
But if I do it, it's friendly, platonic endearment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of weirded out when people use terms of endearment toward me (I mean strangers or acquaintances, not close family members) but it doesn't really bother me unless it's some leering perv. I figure maybe it's just the way they talk. Fortunately it's not too common up here. But every now and then a Southern transplant will show up with their "sweeties" and "honeys" and make everyone uncomfortable (but too polite/passive aggressive to say anything to their face).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But every now and then a Southern transplant will show up with their "sweeties" and "honeys" and make everyone uncomfortable
I should have been a Southern girl. I love all that stuff.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The culture up here is very standoffish. They don't like familiarity OR formality. Don't call them sir or ma'am, or sweetie or dear. Just their name, thanks.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
When I lived in Panhandle Florida and in Virginia, if motherly types who were older than me called me ‘hon’ or ‘honey,’ I didn’t mind. It was part of the culture, and they did it like breathing. But not in the North or West and not women young enough to be your daughter or granddaughter!

“Smoopie,” M maggiedemi ? Hmmm. I can just see The Spouse’s face if I were to call him that. On second thought, maybe I’ll try it. “Hey, Smoopie! Yeah, you.” :lol: I do call my cats all kinds of silly names, though.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The culture up here is very standoffish. They don't like familiarity OR formality. Don't call them sir or ma'am, or sweetie or dear. Just their name, thanks.
No Sir or Ma'am? I would slap my son senseless if he didn't have enough respect to Sir and Ma'am someone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Sir or Ma'am? I would slap my son senseless if he didn't have enough respect to Sir and Ma'am someone.
If it's forced it's not respect; it's fake. It's a meaningless formality and people here would think you're being sarcastic or "putting on airs".

Or as one old guy with a thick Norwegian accent told me: "Don't go thinking you're better than anyone else!"

Last edited:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And there are two I hear my co-workers say - "my thing is..." or "for a minute" as in "she sold cosmetics for a minute"