Question Of The Day, Friday, October 19

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also hate "um", especially in speakers.
I was listening to a speaker on Coast to Coast one night. I counted 20 'ums' in a 60 second span. I had to change the channel.
"Well, um, it was um big, and um black and it um ran fast. I um didn't know what it um was, but it um came right um at me".
Just pause if you have to stop and think. You don't have to fill in a brief silence with a sound.

I don't know if I spelled it correctly, but it sounds like 'um'.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say "Yeah" constantly. :eek2:
Me too!
I say "yep" a lot more now, because it sounds old. Like King of the Hill stuff.
I also hate "um", especially in speakers.
I was listening to a speaker on Coast to Coast one night. I counted 20 'ums' in a 60 second span. I had to change the channel.
"Well, um, it was um big, and um black and it um ran fast. I um didn't know what it um was, but it um came right um at me".
Just pause if you have to stop and think. You don't have to fill in a brief silence with a sound.

I don't know if I spelled it correctly, but it sounds like 'um'.
Look, I loved Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park as Malcolm. Complete fan here.
But the "uh's" and "um's" became a huge thing in our household. For an entire 5 years after the original movie came out, we made it a purpose to include 500 "Uh's" and "um"'s in every sentence only to make ourselves laugh a little.
It's funny, but annoying sometimes, but...it's still funny. And we can't change it. So we rolled with it. :thumbsup:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too!

Look, I loved Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park as Malcolm. Complete fan here.
But the "uh's" and "um's" became a huge thing in our household. For an entire 5 years after the original movie came out, we made it a purpose to include 500 "Uh's" and "um"'s in every sentence only to make ourselves laugh a little.
It's funny, but annoying sometimes, but...it's still funny. And we can't change it. So we rolled with it. :thumbsup:
I can handle it in a movie, it was scripted that way. (And I love Jeff Goldblum) But when someone is speaking publicly or on a talk show, it is very annoying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can’t they simply say, “You’re welcome” when I thank them?
Maybe it's a local thing, but it seems like most people HATE it when I say "you're welcome", which is what I learned to say as a kid. So I gave up on that. Sometimes I'll say "no problem" or "thank YOU" but mostly I tend to just say "yep!" In my most cheerful voice (I hope. . .). I'm sure that drives some other people crazy. . .can't please everyone.

People here also really hate it when you say "thank you" after a compliment. I don't know what else to say!
Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh! I can't stand that word. I want to strangle that word.
Uh-yup. That's the proper way to say it!

For a while at work we'd always answer each "yuuuuuppp!" like that guy on Storage Wars. Well, we thought it was funny!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When people say they are "beyond" something, such as "I'm beyond furious" or "We were beyond upset."

Why can't they just be be irritated, then annoyed, then angry, then furious? Do they have to go from calm to ballistic in one step?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"At my wits' end". OK, it's fine if you really have tried everything and are still having trouble. But it seems that most people have very short wits if they can get to the end of them so quickly ;).

"Orientated" instead of "oriented". Not a word!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

What are some way over-used phrases that drive you crazy? Anything that makes you want to :frustrated: when you hear it? I know I'm guilty of saying things all the time. Are you? What are they?

I usually say "Tis what Tis" meaning "It is what it is" and that's way over-used. It makes Rick crazy (which is probably why I say it :paperbag: )

I read people's posts (not on this site) and at the end of their post, some people will say "Just saying" and it makes me bonkers. I don't know why, but I really hate it.

Words like "preggo" or "preggers". It's "pregnant"! We're not teenagers, for crying out loud.

"Myself" as in "Bill and myself are going...." Rick says that, probably because it makes me bonkers.

Ok, your turn. What makes you crazy when you hear or read it?
I'm with you on the myself thing. So annoying.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
'off of'. I know it's the American venacular, but I've never understood it and dislike it when Australians copy it. 'She got off of the plane'. What's wrong with 'She got off the plane.'?
Also 'I could care less'. It is 'I couldn't care less'. The other simply doesn't make sense when it's used as this saying.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely hate it when my weather forecaster says it's "going to be a little breezy". This is when winds are forecasted with 40 MPH gusts! Is she nuts? I call that extremely windy! I also strongly dislike all those 'you knows' people stick into sentences. NO I DON"T KNOW! AND I NEVER WILL, LISTENING TO YOU!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so over "jazz hands" and I hate it when men say
"we're trying to get pregnant.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when people say 'totally' as in " I totally forgot". Yeah, I didn't think you only partially forgot.

It sounds so unprofessional when a server, or anyone doing something for you says " I'll grab it": " I'll grab your drinks " ..... " I'll grab your file ". I wish that one would go out of style.

When someone's only response is a question.
Me: I took my cat to the vet.
Them: You did?

Me: My friend is coming to visit me.
Them: She is?

Must be a habit. It doesn't make any sense.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand "ain't" or "we was" (the latter seems to be more common than "we were" where I live, and it drives me crazy each time someone says it!).
Also "literally" and the internet abbreviations DH and DD etc also annoy me (what's wrong with just 'husband' and 'daughter'?!)

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why people say " I bought me....", " I got me....". If you don't specify someone else we know it was for you! ( I adopted me a cat? :headshake: )

Some of the waiters/waitresses here say " You got it! " after taking your order.
I feel like saying, " No, not yet! ".

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the waiters/waitresses here say " You got it! " after taking your order.
I hate that. And they never get it right on the first try. I always say under my breath "I doubt it".

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I hate that. And they never get it right on the first try. I always say under my breath "I doubt it".
In Japan when they bring your food they always say "It has become fried noodles!" (Or it has become..... whatever else you ordered.)

I always want to ask "What was it before it was noodles?"

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Japan when they bring your food they always say "It has become fried noodles!" (Or it has become..... whatever else you ordered.)

I always want to ask "What was it before it was noodles?"
So you have different annoying things there than we have in the U.S.
I enjoy hearing about that.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really must say that I don't get very annoyed by much of the spoken language, except, and this is a big 'except'that is unless it is offensive language or hurtful.

I've always had a fascination with how people speak, all over the World and phrases and their origins are very interesting to me. Again, unless it is offensive.

Okay, most phrases don't bother me, but if I had to pick one, well, it is when a young person of my same gender will address me as 'honey'. I do not mind being called this by someone with more Life experience than me, but to have a young lady, maybe 30-40 years younger than myself call me this just makes me scratch my head. Then again, after I get over the shock of it, I do what I always do and usually give people a pass for most things said. I tell myself the person probably meant no harm and maybe meant well.