Question Of The Day, Friday, October 19

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
You opened a can of worms with this question!

"No problem." (Why should it be?)

"Thank you" instead of "You're welcome."

Any noun used as a verb (gifted, Googled, etc.)

Very unique. Either it's unique or it isn't.

Suspicioned instead of suspected.

"Return back."

"Plan ahead." (How else could you plan?)

Completely misused words. My boss once told us not to "sit on our dwarfs." We think he meant "sit on our duffs." He was also thrilled and appalled.

"Bit" instead of "bitten". That's becoming ubiquitous.

Misusing "lay" and "lie."

"Bomb" as in the "F-bomb."

"Niiiice."

When every other sentence contains some form of the F-word.

"Give 110%". Impossible.

Everything in the posts above and more that I've not thought of right now.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Myself" as in "Bill and myself are going...." Rick says that, probably because it makes me bonkers.
Dear Sweet Medusa, I hate this! I also hate when people say "Between him and I" or "Between her and myself."

I hate the upward inflection used at the end of sentences, usually by younger people.
I always want to tell them to have confidence in what they are saying because the inflection makes me feel like they are doubting themselves.

Using "dialogue" as a verb. Using "tasked" as a verb
I do not mind them all that much since they have been used as verbs since the 1600s (dialogue) and the 1530s (task/tasked/tasking). I certainly will take both over the word "conversate." Yuck!

I have issues with "It is what it is," people using the word "blunt" to excuse away their rudeness, "throwing me under the bus", "I'm shook", the overuse of "stunning," "I'm triggered." Actually, the making light or mocking of mental health issues bother me. These are just the ones that come to mind.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
When a salesperson or server says “No problem” after I thank them for a service, I want to say, “I hope not since you’re getting paid to do it.” Why can’t they simply say, “You’re welcome” when I thank them?

Why can’t I say “I’m sorry” to express sympathy for someone without them saying, “It’s not your fault”? For example, someone has a cold and feels awful, and I say, “I’m sorry you feel rotten.” They say, “It’s not your fault.” Really?

My mom used to get upset when she passed someone in the hallway in her retirement community, and they’d say, “How are you?” and walk on. “Why do they say that?” she’d ask me...loudly. “They don’t care how I am. What am I supposed to say?” Since she had dementia and everyone said it, we had this conversation many times. :)

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of the phrases that really annoy me have already been mentioned.
One more that I can think of is "epic"; mostly used by the younger generation to describe something that they think is really cool...for example, "that song is epic!"

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm weird I guess. I don't mind if people have their sayings. I think it makes them unique. Honestly, as long as people are kind, I don't care how they express themselves. I'm guilty of saying some of those listed like Nice! and Epic! My friends and I also call each other "Pal" a lot, I'm sure that annoys some people. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when people use the same word over and over again in the same paragraph. It's probably the writer in me. There are some times when I say filler words like "like" or "so" or "yeah" a lot and I drive myself crazy because I can't seem to stop.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really thought of this before, but I notice a lot of the younger crowd says things like "I know, right?" whenever something is said. It doesn't make me crazy, but only makes me crazy when I find myself repeating it and then there's this awkward silence, and they're like "...theolddudeiscopyingus."

I guess the phrase I over hear a lot, and find myself running for the hills is "...didn't I ask you three days ago to (do something)" and I pretend to be fascinated by a book, or my fingernails, or the closest windowsill that MIGHT be leaking and try to change the subject.
5 hours later, I hear the same question and am involved in a "project" (running the saw in the shop while reading a magazine/TCS) and shouting "SORRY, CAN'T HEAR YOU. BUSY.":running:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prego (thats a tomato sauce), preggers, hubby.

Can I ax you a question? :fear:

Bae

Didn't the Jim Carrey movie on being a pet detective use his buttcheeks to ask the cops if he could "ass" them a question?
I'd look for this on youtube but I'm half scared to.