Question Of The Day, Friday, October 19

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

What are some way over-used phrases that drive you crazy? Anything that makes you want to :frustrated: when you hear it? I know I'm guilty of saying things all the time. Are you? What are they?

I usually say "Tis what Tis" meaning "It is what it is" and that's way over-used. It makes Rick crazy (which is probably why I say it :paperbag: )

I read people's posts (not on this site) and at the end of their post, some people will say "Just saying" and it makes me bonkers. I don't know why, but I really hate it.

Words like "preggo" or "preggers". It's "pregnant"! We're not teenagers, for crying out loud.

"Myself" as in "Bill and myself are going...." Rick says that, probably because it makes me bonkers.

Ok, your turn. What makes you crazy when you hear or read it?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The use of the word 'like'. It seems to be used as every other word. Know what I mean like!
There's lots more that that drives me crazy.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'it is what it is' depends on what it's said in response to, for me. i had that said to me once by the gas and electric company customer service representative......that burned me up! :fuming:

pretty much every other over-used phrase or similar, doesn't particularly bother me. it just goes in one ear, translates to it's meaning, and is then 'let go'.

i do love idioms, so i'll often use them. :D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The phrase that annoys me is, "you know." They don't explain or clarify what they're saying but just say, "you know." No, sometimes I don't know. :nono:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's unique to my Dad, but "okay". He uses it as a period on almost every sentence but expects a response. It's hard to describe but you can very literally have a minute long exchange with him using just the word "okay" with different inflections.

Me: I'm on my way home, what are we doing for dinner?
Dad: Roast, okay.
Me: okay.
Dad: Okay. See you in 30 minutes, okay?
Me: Probably, traffic is a little heavy.
Dad: Okay... So maybe 45, okay?
Me: Most likely.
Dad: Okay. See you in 45 okay.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the upward inflection used at the end of sentences, usually by younger people. If someone uses it on the TV I have to switch channels. If I'm talking to a stranger who does it I have to grit my teeth. If this becomes universal, I'm off to a desert island populated by cats. If they start meowing that way. well......it's the end.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Both sides of the aisle" drive me nuts when politicians use it. It's a real cliche. "Reach across the aisle" is in the same category.

"Just sayin'" bugs me too, because they ARE saying. I have no clue what it means.

Thanks goodness the medical profession has given up saying, "This is going to be a bit uncomfortable" when it's going to hurt like hell.

When the weather people give forecasts, what's the difference between "partly cloudy" and "partly sunny"? Why not say "clouds and sun"?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason that clichés are what they are is because they started life being very good and pithy. We just need lots of new ones.
I've noticed that lots of people start off an answer by saying, 'So' (answer to question) where people used to say, 'Well' (answer to question). I don't know why but using 'so' bugs me more than 'well.' Both are unnecessary of course.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, :cringe: I forgot "target on my back." Survivor started it, now the politicians are saying it. Just say "target," people. If you're a target, it doesn't have to be on your back.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When someone says one word followed by 'much'. Like when someone says "pumpkin spice much" or a gamer would say "game much". I've even heard "jealous much".
This is neither a question nor a sentence.
Is it too hard for a person to complete a sentence or question that makes sense?
Usually, when someone uses this on me, my response is "articulate much?" and then I walk away.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My students use "messing with me," and it drove me nuts for the longest time and I couldn't figure out why. It finally occurred to me that because it covered so many different situations I never knew how to respond.

So I finally started telling them "I don't know what that means. What are they doing?" to get more information. And that at leasy gives me the info I need.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ergh. I tend to have a upward inflection at the ends of sentences, and tend to use "like" a lot. Sorry guys. I think girls in the '80s were socialized to sound less abrupt and that's where the upward inflection came in. Oh well. I can't think too hard about what word whiskers annoy other people or I'd never say anything.

Most corporate catchphrases are super annoying. The Boss right now has been congratulating people on their "rockstar performance". I assume he means they performed well. Like a stage show, I guess is what he means. But that is not what "rock star" makes me thinks of, lol.

He is also telling us to make safety "kata". From what I can find, that's a martial arts concept meaning that you do something automatically, without conscious thought. But he also wants us to put a lot of conscious thought into making things safer :stars:.

Using "dialogue" as a verb. Using "tasked" as a verb. "Laser focus". Is there anybody in Corporate who thinks this stuff is dumb, or does something happen to your brain when you get into Management that makes you think this stuff makes you sound amazing?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is 'innit' a word used other than the UK? If so, bad luck. It's not just a shortened 'isn't it.' It is used, for example, "I love chocolate, innit." It makes no sense and is very annoying.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is 'innit' a word used other than the UK? If so, bad luck. It's not just a shortened 'isn't it.' It is used, for example, "I love chocolate, innit." It makes no sense and is very annoying.
"Innit" is strictly British, but Americans say "idn't" for the same reason. It's so common most people don't even notice.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, like, ya know, at the end of the day, it's like, the fact of the matter is, like, in this day and age, it's like tough to think outside the box in any way, shape or, like, form, ya know, so we, like go with the flow and, like, take the path of least resistance, and, like, even a diamond in the rough is a cheap knockoff, so it's a no-brainer to go back to square one, and, like, buy into the metrics and functionality of, like, the fact that actions speak louder than words, ya know, and, like, a picture's worth a thousand words, so, like, actions are, like better than words, but, like, only one one-thousandth of, like, pictures, so before we draw a blank we should, like, draw the line, go back to the drawing board, and just, like, draw stuff instead of, ya know, talking - ya know what'm sayin'?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man, soooo many phrases annoy me but here's a small sample:

"Need it done yesterday!"--This one's always bugged. I don't have a time machine. Just say it's urgent.

"JD Power Award winner" --Shut up already, no one cares about your made up car awards.

"Touch base"--Gross. Don't touch my base, just say you wanna talk.

Can't leave out "could of" or "would of"...It's HAVE not "of", ugggghh... If you're lazy, "could've" or "would've" is even easier than saying it wrong.

Ok I gotta stop now before I actually get mad. :flail:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
So, like, ya know, at the end of the day, it's like, the fact of the matter is, like, in this day and age, it's like tough to think outside the box in any way, shape or, like, form, ya know, so we, like go with the flow and, like, take the path of least resistance, and, like, even a diamond in the rough is a cheap knockoff, so it's a no-brainer to go back to square one, and, like, buy into the metrics and functionality of, like, the fact that actions speak louder than words, ya know, and, like, a picture's worth a thousand words, so, like, actions are, like better than words, but, like, only one one-thousandth of, like, pictures, so before we draw a blank we should, like, draw the line, go back to the drawing board, and just, like, draw stuff instead of, ya know, talking - ya know what'm sayin'?
Nailed it! 110%.