Question of the Day, Friday, November 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Where did you live as a child? Was it cold or warm? Did you like living there? What do you remember about living there? Would you move back?

I was born in North Carolina; we moved back here to central PA when I was still young. My family is from central PA, so I never really moved that far away from home. I always said that, once I retired, I'd like to move somewhere where it's always warm. Rick won't move; he really does like it here. I think I'd miss the seasons (what seasons we have anymore; it seems to go from cold to hot and back to cold in the space of a week these days) if we moved. Still.....Belize does call me!

What about you?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for my time in the service, I have always lived somewhere in Western NY. My younger years were spent in a farmhouse innocent of insulation or central heating, and we froze our butts off in the winter and sweltered in the summer. I would like to move elsewhere, but not because of the weather- that I can cope with.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born and raised here in NE Ohio and live in the same city where I was born. I have lived
In Ft. Lauderdale Florida, Columbus, Ohio, Columbiana, Ohio, and Kent, Ohio. When I lived
in Columbiana, we were only 7 miles from the PA border so we spent a lot of time there, flew
out of Pittsburgh, concerts there and became Pirates Fans. They won the World Series in 1979
but we had moved to Florida. I got to watch the last innings of the game. Willie Stargell, loved him!!
(Also loved Roberto Clemente in the 70s, esp, the 71 World Series, even being an Cleveland Fan but who
didn't love him?)

I did move back, ha!! I wouldn't mind having a second home and enough money to visit my friend
in Oz and my Sis in Wales.💖

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up about four miles from where I am now living. It was a rural area then, with just a couple blocks of homes surrounded by lots of farm fields. I moved into the city at 17 and moved back to my old neighborhood ten years later, first in an apartment and then in the home I purchased. I have since moved to another home a little farther away but still close by.

During my career I had a number of opportunities to relocate to other states but turned them down. I enjoy the Minnesota climate and my family is here, soI can’t see moving at any point in the future.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Where did you live as a child? Was it cold or warm? Did you like living there? What do you remember about living there? Would you move back?

I was born in North Carolina; we moved back here to central PA when I was still young. My family is from central PA, so I never really moved that far away from home. I always said that, once I retired, I'd like to move somewhere where it's always warm. Rick won't move; he really does like it here. I think I'd miss the seasons (what seasons we have anymore; it seems to go from cold to hot and back to cold in the space of a week these days) if we moved. Still.....Belize does call me!

What about you?
Start watching Caribbean Life with him. It's like House Hunters International but set in the Caribbean. He might change his mind. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still.....Belize does call me!
You should ask Jcatbird Jcatbird about Belize. Maybe it has modernized since, but when she went there, it sounded like a hard life. They do make my favorite hot sauce there though!

I have lived most of my life in a tiny town out in the country in Northern NY. I hate living here and hope to move 30 minutes into town soon. I like NY, except for the cold winter months- November, December, January, February. I probably wouldn't mind winter if I lived in town and didn't have to travel on the icy roads. I don't like anything about living in the country. It's too far from anywhere and I hate having a well for water.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in the western suburbs of Minneapolis, which is about 20 miles from where I am now. My parents sold my childhood home about 2 years ago. I lived there my entire life (except for 2 years where I lived on my own). I still have dreams about the house. I could see myself moving back to that suburb, but I might move to a northern suburb sometime to be a little closer to my family.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Born in South Carolina. Stayed there through college (yay for cheaper in-state tuition) until my boyfriend (now husband) got a job in middle Georgia. I wouldn't go back and live where I grew up- too big of a city (Columbia) and it's hot. Husband grew up in Spartanburg. I like that area and the Greenville area (they actually have seasons), but it's too close to his parents so it has been vetoed as a possible place to live. We are anxiously awaiting our time to leave Georgia for somewhere cooler and less....conservative.

ETA: This *part* of Georgia. Northeast Georgia is quite nice and I wouldn't mind living there.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Born in South Carolina. Stayed there through college (yay for cheaper in-state tuition) until my boyfriend (now husband) got a job in middle Georgia. I wouldn't go back and live where I grew up- too big of a city (Columbia) and it's hot. Husband grew up in Spartanburg. I like that area and the Greenville area (they actually have seasons), but it's too close to his parents so it has been vetoed as a possible place to live. We are anxiously awaiting our time to leave Georgia for somewhere cooler and less....conservative.

ETA: This *part* of Georgia. Northeast Georgia is quite nice and I wouldn't mind living there.
Spartanburg? My H.S. World History teacher, Miss Galloway, was from there. That was only 50-something years ago.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Born in Brooklyn, NY - Sheepshead Bay exactly. Being northeast, cold winters, warm summers and nice springs and autumn weather.
Lived there until I was 10-1/2 years old.

I have very good memories of living there. It was a high rise building, very community based - all my best friends lived there on neighboring floors.

I'd go back to Brooklyn in a heartbeat if it were affordable. It's not anymore!

After that we went to New Jersey to a suburban area which I did not like at all. Too remote for my tastes. Not even worth mentioning.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
South Dakota, seriously cold, and very hot, not much for autumn color and no mountains til you get to the Black Hills but oh, the fragrance of summer sun heated dust, growing things, rain, and fresh cut alfalfa.

Would I go back? Maybe not to where I grew up specifically, but this is one of THE absolute best places in the world, next to Colorado and a few other places (but Colorado is undergoing much too much population growth).

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in North Carolina..and have lived in NC all my life..Guess you could say...I wouldn't want to live any where else..The summers are hot n winters are cold...And thats how I remember it as a child..Now as I get older in later years...Who knows I may move to Virginia with my son..That is when I can no longer take care of myself..But thats a long time from NOW....Hopefully im only 55..yep told my age:lol::thumbsup::)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Arlington, VA, where it is famously hot and muggy in the summer. Winters can be cold, but not too cold, and sometimes there is a lot of snow although it doesn't last long. It was an exciting place to live, all about politics, and I would go back if the circumstances are different. I miss the colonial architecture and the Southern atmosphere.