Question of the Day, Friday, November 26

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: Happy Day-After!

We might start decorating for Christmas today. It's most too windy to work outside, but we can get some decorating done in the house.

When do you start decorating for Christmas? Do your cats allow you to put up a tree? Do they leave it alone? What other decorating will you do?

Rick will probably put the tree together tomorrow and we'll decorate it on Sunday afternoon. I'll get the wreaths and pictures out. Garland for above the kitchen cabinets (and see how long it takes for Mollipop to knock it down). I have Christmas stuff for the kitchen counters, too.

Are you ready to start?!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't celebrate. If I was married or lived alone, I might decorate a little bit, but I don't like clutter. I probably wouldn't have a tree, since Demi & Maggie destroy or try to eat everything. Maybe some themed plates and cups. My friend posted a pic of some pretty pumpkin plates she used last night for Thanksgiving. I wouldn't mind something like that for the various Holidays.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't decorate, not just because of the cats, but because it feels like a waste for just one person.
I feel the same way. It's a lot of work to put everything up and take everything down for one person. Lilith would likely be fine if I did. She'd check it out and then leave it alone. Sophie on the other hand is like a furry tornado. Especially when she gets the zoomies. When DD was here, I'd ask her if she wanted me to put up a tree. She'd just ask me if I wanted to see it destroyed in a day or less. She was right. Sophie would use it as a jungle gym.

We have our Florida Santa. He sits on top of the bookshelf in the living room and he's there all year long. I love him. DH saw him in a flyer from Beall's (Florida based department store chain) that came in the Sunday paper about 15 years ago or so. He handed me the flyer and told me to go get one. I did. I will keep him forever. Here he is:

1637946359077.png

Flip flops, a Hawaiian shirt and a cocktail. Yup. That's the holidays in Florida. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put up my tree last week. So far my cats have been more interested in the tree skirt than the tree itself, so I'm hoping they will allow me to put up the more breakable ornaments. I didn't even do ornaments last year because it was the first time any of my cats had experienced a Christmas tree because my old apartment was way too small for one and I fully expected one of them to knock it over (surprisingly they didn't).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to decorate for every holiday— loving Christmas decorations.
Now, for one person, and with a cat; it is really difficult to really decorate. Physically, it is harder and the cat is into everything.

I do have angels, porcelain trees, and some things hanging on the walls. I need something for Christmas—- also, my Nativity set is a Must!

I will see if I can get some stuff out in the upcoming week.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not since moving into this apartment and adopting graycie no wires are safe :lol:and any real tree is just to much mess to clean after add in all the pine needles a cat will spread all over the place but i ould be willing to try once we get into a real home of our own i would decorate outside safe from graycie:rolleyes:seems like every cat i have lived with are always just tooo nosey and like getting into stuff they shouldnt be

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my order of garland this morning, so this weekend I'm going to start cleaning and putting some out. I have to figure out how I'm going to display it all. I am improvising a Christmas tree as my new crew of kitties don't allow for an actual tree. The first year we had them I put my tree out with no decorations to see what would happen. Bynx chews on the branches sitting under the tree and Chester climbs it and likes to sit in the tree getting all the branches bent out of shape. The following year, I put a small table top tree out (again, no ornaments to test it out) so Chester couldn't climb it and Bynx wouldn't get to it from underneath, but they would both pull on the branches pulling it down off the side table, so Bynx could chew on it and Chester could lay on it. :rolleyes3: So I will be putting garland with lights in the upper corner, like a filled in "V" shape in the corner of the walls, in my living room with it extending on both ends around the perimeter. And it is on those lighted garlands that I will put out my ornaments. We'll see how it turns out. I also put lights in my windows and a few other decorations, but I don't clutter every corner of my house with a bunch of stuff.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did most of my decorating already. Just a wreath for the door and my little pint-sized tree, which I put up a couple days ago. I have a star on top of the tree and it's lit, but that's all at the moment. Won't take too long to put the baubles on it, since it's only about three feet tall (it's a table-top tree).

I'm waiting to see how the cats deal with it, since I haven't decorated for a couple years. So far, so good. They didn't fool around with it much the last time I put it up. Mostly, they'd occasionally knock off some of the bottom ornaments.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the weather's nice, I'll probably put the outside lights out tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'm putting up the tree this year. Like others have posted, it's a lot of work for just me and Ruby, and though do enjoy the decorating, I hate the undecorating part. But even if I don't do the tree, I will put some other decorations up to make it look festive.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't put up decorations as most of my house is a yoga school and people really want to get away from all of that.
The day before christmas I decorate a very alternative type of tree as I have a friend down for lunch and it just makes it a bit special.