Question of the Day, Friday, November 15

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut cream, cheesecake, or my mom's pumpkin pie.
I have a recipe for a no bake pumpkin cheesecake I'm going to try soon. Can't wait to try it. If it works I can always substitute. Still have a half gallon of Giradelli chocolate I need to use.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a pie person. The only pie I kind of like is pecan pie but it's usually so sugary that I can only have a small bite or two before I'm :barfgreen:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raspberry but I've never tried to make one myself. Cherry is a close second and then apple; which I do make. I can't stand store bought apple pies. Way too much syrup and not enough apples and the flavor isn't ever quite right.

I really like rhubarb pie too. My Gram made the best pies. Apple and Rhubarb were here specialties.

After that; I don't think there is a pie variety that I don't like. :lol:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many I like, but the one I have the best memories of is a black walnut pie. It's like pecan pie, but made with black walnuts. Unfortunately, the two who made it are no longer with us. :ohwell:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I love them all too, but especially fruit pies. My mother was an incredible baker who would routinely bake 6 or more fruit pies at a time to stock her freezer. We grew up with homemade pies and cakes for desert on a regular basis.

I could never afford that much fruit or that much freezer space or that much time in the kitchen as a young mother. The millenials think home cooking is "low class" or "dirty" anyway and prefer their Sara Lee and their McDonald's.

But.....

Last year, I started using Mason Jar lids to make little miniature low-sugar pies just for me and my dog to bring into the forest for our picnics. It's not Mom's home cooking, but it is something nice and warm and sweet at the end of a winter meal in a rainwalk.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does cheesecake qualify?? I love pecan pie, chocolate pie, apricot pie, peach pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, blueberry pie, and does carrot cake qualify??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The millenials think home cooking is "low class" or "dirty" anyway and prefer their Sara Lee and their McDonald's
Oh, wow, I don't know anyone who thinks that. Everyone I know WANTS to cook but doesn't have the time or money to do so. Plus we don't know how to. Fast food is cheaper than fresh fruit :/.

I don't really like peach pie; I think peaches lose something when cooked. Same with cherries. Strawberry-rhubarb is excellent. I don't think I've ever had just a strawberry pie. Might be good. I think I'd like a good blueberry pie but canned blueberry filling is yucky. I'm not terribly fond of raspberries, but maybe sweetened in a pie would be good. I've never seen shoo-fly pie and pecan pies are usually store-bought around here. I need to meet more pie-baking people ;).

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain rhubarb is my favorite, but there was (is?) a restaurant outside of Binghamton NY called the Spot, and they made a lemon meringue pie that was dynamite, with the meringue piled about 4 in. high.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Apple and chicken pie and up there.

But more specifically, I love the bottom part. You know the doughy bottom of the pie? That is my favourite part. Actually, the entire crust and pastry part - the fillings are... nice sometimes but I mostly pick them out and just eat the pie shell.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is a four-berry pie - blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries. :yummy:

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with humble pie? LOL... keeps one grounded in reality. I'd "Like" all the replies above, but I don't have time... I always liked hot apple pie with ice cream, and pecan pie is good. Blueberry pie, peach pie or peach cobbler... throw in some French Vanilla ice cream and you can't go wrong with those. Gotta go, "Hasta Luego!!!" :coolcat:

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does cobbler count? My step-grandmother used to make a wild blackberry cobbler on those rare occasions where the blackberries actually made it into the pail and not directly into our mouths.
Oh, man, I forgot blackberries, they're so-o-o-o good!!! That cobbler sounds delicious!!! Now I'm really gonna be late getting home, think I'll buy some blackberries for the weekend, maybe some ice cream to go with 'em, LOL. :yess:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not like cherry pie, any pot pies with peas, or any pies with pineapple or coconut.

Oh, and I had a sweet potato pie once in college I grabbed thinking it was pumpkin and blech.

Everything else is good, though I do tend to order strawberry rhubarb if I'm at a place where I can choose a slice. And obviously loooove pumpkin.

I made a pumpkin pie from scratch one year. Well, not the crust, but the filling from an actual pumpkin. This was before I had my good knife set, so it was a huge pain chopping up my pumpkin.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The millenials think home cooking is "low class" or "dirty" anyway and prefer their Sara Lee and their McDonald's.

And whatever the generation behind Millennials are, Generation Z or something? A home cooked meal is a foreign concept to them. Using their phone to order a meal is the norm to them :rolleyes:

My Mom has this weird thing with apple pies. She only likes the apple pie sold at McDonalds, which isn't even good to begin with. Then she scrapes out the apple pie filling and only eats the crust :headscratch: She says the pie filling is "too spicy" :dunno: