Question of the Day, Friday, May 7

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

How do you feel about people wearing shoes in your home? Are you OK with or would you prefer visitors remove their shoes? Do you ask people to take their shoes off?

We're pretty much an anything goes house. If you want to wear shoes, that's fine. Want to take them off? That's fine, too. We don't care.
I usually walk around in socks, largely because of cat puke, hairballs, stray litter, etc. While I do try to vacuum as much as I can, the early-morning hairball gets me sometimes and I really hate squishiness. Ew, just ew. But I'm the same way in the WeShed; as soon as I enter, I slip my shoes off and walk around in socks. Again, that doesn't mean I want visitors to do that!

We used to visit friends and, until I got the hang of things, I would forget to remove my shoes. One day, I was sitting at their kitchen table and the husband walked into the kitchen, saw me with my shoes on, pointed to my shoes and motioned to "get 'em off". I apologized and immediately took my shoes off and put them in the garage.

What about you? Do you want me to take my shoes off when I enter your home?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Except when it is snowy or slushy outside shoes can stay on. I have all hardwood floors so easy to clean up. I may take my shoes off when I come in but it depends what I have been doing. Since the age of COVID, I have been trying to remember to do that because everything outside feels dirty to me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cultures have a "no shoe" rule in the home. Where my parents are from, shoes are taken off at the front door. My parents wear slippers in the house but I've always worn just socks. I don't like going barefoot. Guests are expected to take their shoes off but my parents aren't :bat: if someone doesn't. The exception is for a repair person or appliance delivery person and the like. They have to wear their shoes (likely safety work ones) while on the job.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d prefer people to take off their shoes. I grew up in a family that always took their shoes off at the door. I usually wear socks or slippers around the house.
DH rushes in sometimes with his work boots on if he forgets something.:angrywoman::lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago when I was having a lot of foot pain I had to keep my shoes on. And explaining that to people got old to the point i decided it was rude of me to expect everyone to explain themselves if they chose to wear thier shoes. We have mats inside and out to catch the worst. We no longer have babies around. We all know how to use a broom and a vaccuum. So I leave it up to each person.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No real weather conditions around here like snow, so that is not a problem. I hate to be barefooted and like jeannem jeannem I use orthotics including orthotic flip flops. No one has to take their shoes off to come into my house but in my area there are a number of people who do so for cultural reasons and that is fine, too.

When I go to feed the feral who does not live on my property and whom I hope to transition to an indoor cat eventually, I wear a pair of shoes kept for that purpose only and also an old pair of long pants. I take the shoes and pants off as soon as I get back to my property as this cat likes to rub against my legs and feet and I have no medical information about her at this point.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have always taken our shoes off when we come in the house and put them on a mat by the door so I usually ask others to please do the same. It's just habit for us not cultural. Out of respect if I go to someone else's house I'll ask if they'd like me to take my shoes off. Sometimes a neighbor will be dropping something off and only walk into the foyer so we don't bother asking them to take their shoes off. Trust me, I'm not a neat freak and by no means is my husband but we've just grown accustom to removing our shoes.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine with them wearing shoes as long as they're careful not to step on a cat :lol:
I remember one party we went to years ago. Relative of hubby, I didn't know them. They made us take shoes off and didn't provide anything like paper slippers or something. I hadn't worn socks, I had those nylon knee hIs, and my feet were just freezing. I was uncomfortable to begin with and triply so with freezing feet. It's not like you can't use carpet cleaner if you're worried about them getting it dirty.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People just don't wear shoes in the house around here....never have. I have only ever been to one house where I was told I didn't need to take my shoes off....they almost insisted on it...so I kept them on....it felt SO WEIRD!
I would probably be a bit miffed is someone came over and didn't take them off. I have told people they didn't need to take them off for specific situations before but like I said, it's just automatic to remove your shoes around here. As a Canadian though, with our ridiculously long winters, it just makes sense that our "custom" is to take them off. Snow, sand and road salt in the house? no thanks!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with us taking shoes off as soon as we walked in. There was a shoe mat right at the door. We all had slippers. Guests were ok with shoes..
When I was on my own, it was just habit.
I prefer not wearing shoes in the house. It is just more comfortable for me.

Now, I just wear slippers, mostly just socks, or in summer, barefoot.. I do not require visitors to take their shoes off..

When I visit, I am kind of mindful of my hosts.. especially in the bad weather. I usually end up taking my shoes off, anyway... just habit..

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This question reminds me that when I was growing up, I would comment that nobody on TV shows take their shoes off when entering their houses. I thought it was just because it was just TV and they didn't want to waist time with things like that for a show. I didn't realize that taking shoes off wasn't the norm everywhere.