Question Of The Day, Friday, May 19

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :banana1: This week seems very long and there's been a lot going on at work; I'm ready for the weekend.

What is the speed limit on the road right outside your house?

We live on a state road and the speed limit is 40 mph. I don't know anybody who actually drives 40 mph on our road; most people, including me, fly up and down. Our main road is posted at 55 mph, but again, most people speed back and forth. I'm sure the cops love it because they can pretty much pick who they want to pull off.

A few months ago, I was buzzing down the highway on my way home from work, looked in the mirror, saw the lights, and pulled over. To be fair, I was doing over 70 mph in a 55 mph zone, so I didn't get upset. I deserved the fine. Fortunately, he cut me a break and fined me for 61 mph. But it's a little embarrassing to pull over, have the cop walk up to your car, look at you, and say, "Pam, Pam, Pam." Oh crap. :doh: That's what happens when you live in a small town, I guess.

So....what is your road posted at for speed?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
35. What a joke that is. We live very close to I-95 and that road is often used by truck drivers going from the citrus groves/packinghouses to get out to 95. It's like a racetrack. It is also used as a dragstrip by the locals. The cops are almost never around. Many times people going too fast have ended up in the swales on the side of the road. :headshake:

The road is also very poorly lit. This road is one of the many reasons why my cats are NOT allowed outside.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
45 MPH. It is a curvy road with limited sight lines, and most people do the speed limit.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
35, but it is a thru street and most go much faster than that, and most texting while they are driving too, I can see their phone up on the steering wheel as they zip by. I don't know if our place is a natural dumping ground for unwanted cats or if they sense where they will get help, but we have a lot of cats show up here. Many of them end up laying on that horrible road too, it is a heartbreaker.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's a small little street so I would guess 25 or 30.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, I am the last house on a short dead end street with just 4 houses on it. I would guess the speed limit is 15 mph, but it doesn't really matter, the road is not long enough to get up much speed, then you have to stop at the end to turn left or right; or to turn in to your driveway.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
25. I'm in a residential neighborhood and there's an elementary school across the street from my house. Most people do watch their speed although now and then some idiot flies by.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in between two roads, where there is a curve - the county road, where the speed limit is around 60-70, then the road I'm more directly on which is a dirt country road, is suppose to be 20-30.

But people zoom on by like crazy on both ends and when they turn, going upwards to around 100-120. Thanks dummies. I could also use more cars getting crashed into my fence....

Had FIVE cars in one year alone crash and break my farm fencing or get lodged in the ditch and stuck. Seriously, country roads are not highways. Why do people think it is a free pass to treat them like such and speed like crazy? And in any case, there are a bunch of animals around - so many accidents regarding those too :headshake: :sniffle:

Dumbarsses.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
25 mph and the local police love to catch anyone going over the speed limit :wink:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 35 where I live but if you drive 35 you will get run off the road. The DC area drivers are suppose to be one of the rudest drivers.

Muffy

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The speed limit for our street is 20 mph, which is pretty much ignored. The next street over is one of the major thoroughfares for our little town, and the speed limit for that is 30 mph. That's pretty much ignored, too. But those drivers going over the limit don't get ignored for very long. I can't tell you how many times a day I hear the police sirens behind our house as they pull people over. Did I mention that it's a small town? :wink:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
25mph, but we live on a double block with a high school at one end so cars always speed through. With stereos blaring. During nap time. :argh: :fuming: :angryfire: :livid: :angrywoman:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
50 but really it should be 40. Occasionally I see the police sitting nearby watching for speeders. Its a country road; but well used with a decent number of houses too.

We had one guy go through part of our front yard and hit a tree in our neighbor's yard a few years ago. I think he just grazed the telephone pole enough to sever the cable and phone wires that were on it too. The tree is still leaning on the ones next to it. The neighbors and I both don't have cable tv or a landline; so we didn't notice the lines right away. :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a mostly residential area and the speed limit is 25 in the entire area. The police here are very dilligent in watching traffic and pulling people over. I have been pulled over a few times but have just gotten verbal warnings. I know people who don't live in this area who have been ticketed so I think if it isn't something really bad they don't ticket people who live here. I found out that they do keep track of those verbal warnings. I was last pulled over for speeding last year. He called it in which they always do. He came back told me I had a good record and my last verbal warning was in 2011 so he was going to give me a verbal warning. I have a feeling if I get pulled over again too soon after my last verbal warning I will get a ticket.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you allowed to take defensive driving for ticket removal? You can do that here, up to a certain point, and you get a 10% liability discount for three years, too. You can take it without a ticket to get the same discount. We used to teach it and most students were there for ticket removal.

We tried the comedy defensive driving after we quit teaching and it was dreadful One spent the day showing best of JohnnyCarson reruns and very old Disney cartoons. The other was almost as bad, and he was a professional comedian. Ugh!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 25 mph in my neighborhood, and from time to time, one of those flashing signs with your actual speed on it is placed at the side of the road. But people do exceed the limit. There's a curve before my house, and one day, at 7 a.m. no less, someone came tearing around the curve and smashed into a tree in my front yard. That was an real eye-opener!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No speed limit but almost no traffic either. The roads around here are all dirt tracks, very steep and rocky with overhanging trees and dense vegetation on both sides. Barely wide enough for one car to get through.

The forestry commission guy does his rounds once a day, to check for fallen trees and boulders and stuff. The postman comes by once or twice a week. I've never seen either of them go faster than 20 KPH, I don't think they'd risk going any faster than that.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's 25 mph. there's a sign with the speed limit and 'children at play' on it, which most drivers simply ignore and fly up and down the road. i don't think people get pulled over often for speeding in my immediate area; it's the drunk drivers and those who break other laws that get pulled over here. although, during the summer months it's not unusual for a state trooper to park tucked back a bit (like in the church or post office parking areas) and wait for someone worth pulling over -- locals know this.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
LOL, I am the last house on a short dead end street with just 4 houses on it. I would guess the speed limit is 15 mph, but it doesn't really matter, the road is not long enough to get up much speed, then you have to stop at the end to turn left or right; or to turn in to your driveway.
I'm in a similar situation--end of a cul-de-sac and too short of a street to build up speed. The end circle has only 3 houses on it so it isn't big enough for anyone to speed around it--a couple of kids have tried and almost ended up down the side of the hill. :lol:

Funny--I've lived here 20 years and never noticed if there's a sign with the speed posted or not. Next time I leave the house, I'll be looking for one now. :lol: