Question Of The Day, Friday, March 22

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I love hotdogs! Costco sells a good one for $1.50, including a drink. When I make my own, I want Ballpark bun length. I do NOT want them split and grilled. Boiled for me, sometimes in beer. Plain mustard on the bun, generously slathered. Then smothered with Wolf Brand chili, tons of cheese, and a sprinkle of finely chopped onions. Ah, bliss!

My other half wants his with warm sauerkraut, the barbarian!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I liked to eat them raw, peeled, on bread. But I guess raw is a no-no these days, sigh.

I prefer them grilled and nothing on them (hot dog and bun only). I don't eat them very often because although I like them, they don't really like me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I prefer them grilled,
You could get you one of those tabletop indoor grills :thumbsup:

my elder spawn only eats hot dogs with peanut butter. I have NO CLUE where he came from.
:crackup:

I have never eaten a hot dog.
If you ever get a chance to go to a baseball game, that's just about the best, and only, and best, way to eat a hotdog. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Coors Field in Denver is absolutely the only baseball field, really truly, that a person should EVER consider going to :biggrin:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I liked to eat them raw, peeled, on bread. But I guess raw is a no-no these days, sigh.
Eating them "raw" was always a no-no; I remember reading the warning on the package when I was little. And I still ate them "raw", frozen, right out of the package in the freezer :D.

Hot dogs are cooked already, that's why it's not really dangerous. But there's a small chance of getting listeria if they aren't heated to the point of killing the bacteria, but that's only a big problem for pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems.

How did you peel them? I used to pick the skin off of mine but it took like 10 minutes; they wouldn't have peeled easily. Unless there was a different brand that had a more peelable skin.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're not too picky about how they're cooked,and I love just about anything on top as long as it's not ketchup....absolutely never.Hubby likes ketchup...ugh!I wish we could get the split top buns around here but I've yet to see them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did you peel them? I used to pick the skin off of mine but it took like 10 minutes; they wouldn't have peeled easily. Unless there was a different brand that had a more peelable skin.
Sometimes when Mom boiled hot dogs to death, I peeled off the skin / casing before eating. I think it was always Ballpark brand or store generic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had dogs last night for dinner. Wrapped the frozen dogs in paper towels and heated for one minute in the microwave. Unwrapped them, placed them in buns, wrapped each one separately, and back into the microwave for another minute. Unwrap and topped with Swiss cheese, warm sauerkraut (sorry Mother Dragon Mother Dragon ), zucchini relish, and mustard for me, ketchup for Dear Richard. Not bad.

It was too windy outside to grill properly. And then it started to rain/snow and Rick said, "Nuke them!".

For those of you who can't find the top-split buns, you can make your own!
New England Hot Dog Bun Pan

I swear King Arthur has a blasted pan for everything!

ETA: I have always (and still do) eaten raw hot dogs. One of these days, it may come back to bite me. Then again, I still eat raw cookie dough. :paperbag::paperbag:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just have ketchup on my hot dogs. Since I'm lazy, I usually just microwave them. If I'm making a lot for other people, then I'll just boil them in water, but I rarely ever make more than for just me.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating them "raw" was always a no-no; I remember reading the warning on the package when I was little. And I still ate them "raw", frozen, right out of the package in the freezer :D.

Hot dogs are cooked already, that's why it's not really dangerous. But there's a small chance of getting listeria if they aren't heated to the point of killing the bacteria, but that's only a big problem for pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems.

I guess it depends on how long ago you were a "kid." I don't believe there were warnings of any kind back when I was a kid, or my mother would not have allowed me to eat them raw.

They peeled easily, not like the ones you have today, which I have peeled, and which take a while.

My sister used to eat hers raw also and dip them in a milkshake.