Question of the Day, Friday, June 26

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Now that we are into summer and the garden vegetables are coming on:

What's your favorite vegetable from the garden (or supermarket, as the case may be)?

I'm looking for that first tomato from our garden. I can guarantee you it won't even make it into the house!
What about you?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm partial to a few-broccoli, green beans, lima beans, Brussels sprouts, and turnip greens.

Question-do you guys put vinegar on Brussels sprouts and turnip greens? I know it's supposed to cut bitterness, but I've never detected any in those. I had to be told they're usually bitter.

ETA-I also love potatoes. For some reason, I tend to not think of a potato as a vegetable :doh2:

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our home-grown cantaloupe was the best ever, probably because we could leave it on the vine until it was ripe. If I had been smart, I would have planted a new hill every two to three weeks to have a continuous supply.

I also loved sugar snap peas. Those never made it into the house either. The ones in the store are a pale imitation.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love broccoli and carrots. Roasted parsnips are quite good too.

You guys are more than free to my share of tomatoes!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question-do you guys put vinegar on Brussels sprouts and turnip greens? I know it's supposed to cut bitterness, but I've never detected any in those. I had to be told they're usually bitter.
We used to keep a bottle of vinegar with hot peppers in it for greens.
Have any of you ever had a home grown cabbage? Fantastic. My favorite though is probably tomatoes or green beans. I had my first tiny tomato’s today- I had 2 currant tomatoes ripe.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From the garden - hands down tomatos. even farmer's market ones are just not the same. When I was growing up in the midwest, we had rhubarb growing by the fence. I would break off a stalk, wash it off at the hand pump and munch. You can't even find rhubarb in the south.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to keep a bottle of vinegar with hot peppers in it for greens.
My family always had that vinegar cruet with hot peppers on the table. After Dad went to live in assisted living, I was amused to see it there on tables in the dining room. It must be generational thing. To me, it never helped the flavor of collards, turnip greens, or kale.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Now that we are into summer and the garden vegetables are coming on:

What's your favorite vegetable from the garden (or supermarket, as the case may be)?

I'm looking for that first tomato from our garden. I can guarantee you it won't even make it into the house!
What about you?
Spinach

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not all that picky.Today was the first day to pick beans,so I washed,snapped,blanch and froze 6 quarts ...snuck a few and they are wonderful!I mentioned the beets the other day so today he thinned and I pickled 4 quarts and saved a few to heat up with some butter.Next will probably be squash...actually...I love it all.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty crazy about potatoes and tomatoes, but lately I’ve been really into artichokes. I’ve always loved the frozen babies. But I found some tips on prepping fresh online, and one morning just went for it. Turns out their fussy reputations aren’t deserved. It’s actually meditative to snap off the leaves, and goes a lot faster if you take off the top third (or half). Also: who cares if they turn brown. They do during cooking anyway. The easiest thing is to turn them bud-down in a steamer for 25 minutes, and use them a side for mayo. Lol. I’m thinking next I’ll slice and sauté them. Yum!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
definitely tomatoes! i wait all year long for fresh local tomatoes to come in season. and our Punky :silver: enjoys smelling the tomatoes i set out on the counter each day! i also really like the small 'pickler' cucumbers.