Question of the Day, Friday, June 18

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

How do you feel about having company staying over at your home for a few days? I'm talking about a weekend, perhaps a long weekend. Would it bother you?

I love it. Before she moved down south, I had a GF who would come and stay for a couple days. Or I'd visit with her. Another friend would come and stay as well and we always had such a good time. I love people visiting. I don't know if you remember LaRussa/Carol. She and I were close and she'd come over to visit for a few days. She didn't like to drive that far, so Rick and I would pick her up, bring her to our house, and then take her back home. We didn't do much. We'd do a bit of shopping, go out to dinner. And I always cooked. I love to cook for people.

What about you? How do you feel?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have company coming today for the weekend right now! Looking forward to seeing my daughter, my grandson, and my son-in-law. it always involves a lot of work, preparing beds, cleaning all the cat hair off of everything, getting my yard and flower beds into shape, and stocking up on food, but it forces me to get my house into order, and doing things I don't do that often, scrubbing floors and washing windows. I don't like drop-ins, I like to prepare and have everything ready. If people just drop by, I feel rushed to straighten up and remove cat hair. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer and housework just has to wait. It would take way too much time to always have the house ready, but it is always neat and in order. I remember the horror I felt when a guest sat in a chair we never sat in but the cats loved. When she stood up the hair on her bottom could have built another cat!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as I had plenty of time to prepare I'd love it. I work 6 days a week, so if people are coming for more than a few hours I need time to arrange some time off. clean the house, shop and work out where they are going to sleep. Give me about a months notice and I'm good.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on who it is....
I do prefer to keep my sanctuary free from other humans, but I could handle it for a select few. If someone were to call me up today and need to stay this weekend though, no matter who it was, I would freak....the house is not in any state to accommodate company right now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s okay for a couple days, although it rarely happens. I have one bedroom that is pretty much unused except as Willow’s room. I used to have it set up as a guest room but that encouraged people to want to move in which I hated, so now it’s just empty. I just stick a blow up mattress in there if needed.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would depend on who it is. Obviously, my children could stay without any issues. Since they live two minutes (daughter) and five minutes (my son and daughter-in-law) away, I can only imagine two situations that would make that happen. My son's best friend has stayed for a couple of weeks at a time prior to this, but he rents a room from my son, so he has no reason to stay now.

I guess the only person my husband and I would not mind staying over would be his sister. Anyone else would have to stay in a hotel unless it was an unavoidable thing, such as a broken-down car. Even then, we would offer to take them to a hotel, citing their comfort but meaning ours.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't love it, but don't hate it either. Our home's not really set up for it, which I think is a big factor. My in-laws did stay overnight a couple months back and they brought an air mattress and were great guests. I just always feel like I have to be "on" if someone's staying at my place or I'm staying with someone else, and that's a bit exhausting.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just always feel like I have to be "on" if someone's staying at my place or I'm staying with someone else, and that's a bit exhausting.
Totally! The "select few" that I'm thinking of that I wouldn't mind if they stayed are those that don't need to be "entertained". Of course I still ensure their stay is comfortable, but they don't require catering and constant company.

My sister, brother-in-law and my two nieces stayed with us for 2 weeks several years back. It was just easy. They did their thing, we did our thing, they felt comfortable treating my house as their own, while still being respectful, which allowed me to feel comfortable to just let them be. We both appreciated that I didn't need be be "on" all the time and have to be their "host", and they didn't have to tiptoe and make sure they were "good guests" (which they are BTW).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live alone and I like being by myself, so I wouldn't be a fan of someone staying with me. I also don't have an extra bed in my house and I keep meaning to make one a guest bedroom, but that hasn't come to fruition yet. I mean I literally just turned the spare bedroom upstairs into the cats' room and call it that too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live alone and I like being by myself, so I wouldn't be a fan of someone staying with me. I also don't have an extra bed in my house and I keep meaning to make one a guest bedroom, but that hasn't come to fruition yet. I mean I literally just turned the spare bedroom upstairs into the cats' room and call it that too.
Our guest bedroom is officially the "cats' room" also.