Question Of The Day, Friday, June 14

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use liquid detergent and a wool dryer ball. I cannot tell you what kind we use because my husband tends to get it at the store and does all our laundry. The washer and dryer are in the basement, and I just do not go down there very often because I really have no need. I have picked up laundry detergent in the past because it was on clearance. I do not recall what kind it was, though.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the All Free and Clear pods, Oxiclean powder for heavily dirty blue jeans etc, sometimes Chlorox type bleach for whites that need it. Wool dryer balls, no dryer sheets.

If weather cooperates and I have the time I especially like sheets hung outdoors to dry.

For the miniscule number of hand wash items I use Eucalon.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tide liquid original scent, Clorox all fabric bleach, Downy fabric softener, and Downy dryer sheets. In cooler weather I wash my sweaters in the machine on gentle cycle and use Woolite detergent and the Downy liquid fabric softener. None of my sweaters go in the dryer.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Zum liquid soap by Indigo Wild, very environmentally friendly. That’s it, no dryer sheets or softeners.
Great! I didn’t know that Zum made liquid soap. I’ll have to check it out. I’ve used Zum bar soap and the air freshener spray and really liked them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tide Free & Gentle liquid detergent, Downy Free & Gentle fabric softener, Bounce Free & Gentle dryer sheets. Shout for stain remover, but I don't think it works very well.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All Free & Clear liquid detergent and Downy Free & Gentle fabric softener on everything but our kids clothes. Growing up my Mom pinched pennies so we only use dryer sheets in the winter to help with static. I find it VERY hard to go without fabric softener now.

We use OxyClean spray for stains and the occasional scoop of OxyClean on heavily soiled loads. (It got used a lot when my kids were babies though.) We used to get a Shout for grease stains for DH's work clothing. I don't know when/why we stopped. It's hard to get sunscreen off the collars of his shirts.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use liquid detergent when I'm at my parents doing laundry. I keep my own bottle there, but at my apartment, I usually use pods because it's easier to carry a couple of pods instead of a bottle and my laundry basket.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use liquid or pods. I'm cheap (well...frugal), so I buy what's on sale at a good price and stock up if it's really good. My mom also likes to bulk shop so she will sometimes bring my sister and me laundry detergent, dish and dishwasher soap, toilet paper and so on. So I'm not too picky, as long as I don't stink!:D
I do use dryer sheets but not softener, although I have thought about trying it out and seeing if it really makes a big enough difference that it's worth spending money on it.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hypoallergenic liquid for humans, plain vinegar for pets.
No softeners, no dryer sheets.
I am however still amazed after all these years at how the lint trap looks like a fuzzy bloated eel after you dry a load of cat beds :flail:
I take enough cat hair out of the lint trap to form several additional cats! :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am however still amazed after all these years at how the lint trap looks like a fuzzy bloated eel after you dry a load of cat beds :flail:
I take enough cat hair out of the lint trap to form several additional cats! :lol:
I don't know if you guys have fire pits but dryer lint makes really good fire starter. I have a garbage can specifically for my dryer lint for that purpose.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget to clean out the hose that connects the dryer to the outside. That can trap lint that escapes the filter. Lint is a fire hazard. Most people don't even think about cleaning the hose out. There might be enough lint in the hose for several cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to clean out the hose that connects the dryer to the outside. That can trap lint that escapes the filter. Lint is a fire hazard. Most people don't even think about cleaning the hose out. There might be enough lint in the hose for several cats.
Absolutely true. I once found a dead mouse in the hose :confused: The dryer wasn't running right and well, there's your problem.
And never let the dryer run when you're not home for that fire hazard reason.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the liquid Free and Clear - Seventh Generation stuff. No fabric softener, no dryer sheets. Unscented is the way to go! I get headaches from laundry perfumes. I like smelling the world around me, not the world on me. :)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Tide HE Free & Gentle liquid detergent, Downy Free & Gentle fabric softener. Oxyclean when necessary. Cold water for most.

When we switched from a top loader to a front loader, the difference was amazing. We washed a load in the top loader, then in the front loader when it was installed. What a difference! And it's so gentle that we've even had tissues come out not only clean but intact. It uses less water and detergent, too. I wouldn't go back for anything!

The only things that go into the dryer are linens and underwear. We hang-dry outers in the garage because we're forbidden to have a clothesline in the back yard, even though it's fenced.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to clean out the hose that connects the dryer to the outside.
I'm afraid of messing with the dryer after hearing about people getting electrocuted when they pull them out.