Question of the Day, Friday, June 11

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning (oops Afternoon)! :wave2:

When you were growing up, what were some foods that you never had in your home?

In my house, we never had pizza that I can remember. Mom always said we didn’t like it. And she said Dad would never eat it. I remember one night we were playing cards with my parents and Rick started hankering for pizza. He called for delivery. Dad ate three pieces! Mom was shocked.

When Rick and I got married, his mom made the Chef Boy Ar Dee pizza from the box. And then when I started playing with yeast dough, it didn’t take me long to start in with pizza dough. Around here, we have pizza once a week. Different crusts, different sauces, different toppings. I love the stuff!

What about you?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never had pizza either. Believe it or not, but when I grew up, pizza was not very common anywhere. I can think of dozens of foods common today that weren't back then. Lasagna, tacos, zucchini, mushrooms. Others were seasonal only because frozen foods weren't very common, either. Some fruits were unheard of - Jack fruit, kiwis, dragonfruit, lychee nuts. The variety of food available today sometimes blows my mind. We did have kumquats at Christmas time, though, and they are never in stores today.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be easier to list what we did eat. 🤣 The only vegetables I remember from my childhood were corn and potatoes in many forms, green beans, and occasionally sweet peas. My grandmother always had sliced tomatoes on the dinner table and but we never bothered with them. I got into raw carrots, celery, and cucumbers in Ranch as a teen, as well as salads and cooked broccoli. But I had never seen or tried asparagus, Brussels sprouts, squashes, or most root vegetables. The most exotic fruit we had was canned pineapple. Hummus was introduced to me in college, as were sushi and coffee drinks. My parents didn't drink coffee and all grandparents drank it black. My first boss in a mall shop bought me a vanilla latte at age 20. I actually bought my mid80s grandmother spicy salmon sushi rolls last year and it was her first time having sushi.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't think of a specific food we never had in our home growing up but we never had pop or as some people refer to it, soda. My parents would let us order it if we were in a restaurant but they never bought it to have in the house so I never really craved it. Funny thing is that I did the same thing when my children were young too, no pop in the house. :nono:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sugar cereal. My mom, even now, HATES the very concept of "candy for breakfast". Every now and then we'd get a box as a treat. . .but it didn't last long! And we weren't allowed to eat it for breakfast, just as a snack.

Note: back in the '90s, Kashi cereal tasted like it was made of brown paper towels :tongue: .

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No Brussel sprouts, no asparagus, no spinach, no broccoli, no squash
... no figs--unless dried. Bed Iceberg lettuce, instead of Romaine... But a lot of this could be to non access, before things were so readily available in the grocery stores. This is going back to the late 50's and 60's.....

We had a good variety of food.

I introduced my parents to the above, except, brussel sprouts and fresh figs.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a lot of junk food. My mom was way too concerned about our weight which is like a guarantee that a kid is going to have an eating disorder when they get older (which I do).

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steak- it was too expensive to buy, and if we had a cow too old to milk or breed, she went off to the stockyards
Sugar cereal- we had corn flakes, Wheaties, cream of wheat, or oatmeal for cereals, and that was it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, that reminds me---there's no particular reason for it, but my parents don't eat steak either. So as kids we were never fed large chunks of meat; everything was ground meat or hot dogs or chicken nuggets or whatever. So we never learned how to cut meat. I'm still very awkward about it, so I won't order steak at a restaurant so I don't look like an idiot. When my brother was married, his wife had to cut his steak for him!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't ever remember my Mom fixing pizza.I have no idea if that was a "Dad didn't like it,soooo" or what.We love pizza in my house,and I make it pretty often.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hummus was introduced to me in college, as were sushi and coffee drinks. My parents didn't drink coffee and all grandparents drank it black. My first boss in a mall shop bought me a vanilla latte at age 20. I actually bought my mid80s grandmother spicy salmon sushi rolls last year and it was her first time having sushi.
Hummus and sushi for me, too, now that you mention it. And Thai food. My dad is mildly allergic to peanuts, so my parents weren't going out of their way to have a cuisine that uses them so much.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be easier to list what we did eat.
Same here. We were kind of poor growing up, and my mother had about five regular dinners she made and about five others that she would make sometimes. We could eat at McDonald's for cheap, so that was a couple of times a month. Once every few months, we got Chinese food. My parents would order pizza once in a while, but I am allergic to tomatoes and they were not going to order a special pizza just for me, so I never had it until I was an adult and ordered it with garlic sauce or alfredo sauce.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same here. We were kind of poor growing up, and my mother had about five regular dinners she made and about five others that she would make sometimes. We could eat at McDonald's for cheap, so that was a couple of times a month. Once every few months, we got Chinese food. My parents would order pizza once in a while, but I am allergic to tomatoes and they were not going to order a special pizza just for me, so I never had it until I was an adult and ordered it with garlic sauce or alfredo sauce.
We had Sunday pot roasts, spaghetti, chicken or pork chops and veggies, McDonalds burgers a few times a month. I'm sure there were a few more regular dishes but I can't remember what. Tacos were common once most of us were double digits.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much all processed and pre packaged junk food and lunch snacks like granola bars, twinkies, joe louis, fruit roll-ups etc...Chips were a treat if we rented a movie as a family. Mom made us popcorn most of the time for tv snack time, although we didn't mind that at all....buttery popcorn is delicious! She made it by putting the kernels in a pot with butter and a lid on top and shook the pot over the stove element.
We had cookies, but they were always home made, not store bought.
The only cereal we ever had regularly were cheerios, rice krispies, puff wheat, corn flakes, etc...you know, the boring ones....Sometimes we would get a "treat cereal", but it was rare. We were, however, allowed to sprinkle sugar on our cereal so it wasn't so bad.
And of course, produce was purchased in season or we ate canned/frozen. There wasn't anything fresh or good for you that wouldn't come into the house, but Mom was also good about not forcing us to eat select items that we really hated. I, for example, hated (and still do) mushrooms, so she never forced me to eat them. We weren't really picky though, and thankfully, Mom was a good cook.

Overall, we just didn't have pre made packaged stuff. Mom made everything from scratch. And we rarely got fast food.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sugar cereal. My mom, even now, HATES the very concept of "candy for breakfast". Every now and then we'd get a box as a treat. . .but it didn't last long! And we weren't allowed to eat it for breakfast, just as a snack.

Note: back in the '90s, Kashi cereal tasted like it was made of brown paper towels :tongue: .

My mom was the same! No sugar cereal/candy for breakfast lol

During my time snacks like Dunkaroos, Toaster Stroodles, Poptarts and Fruit by the Foot/Fruit Roll Ups were very popular at school. Despite my best efforts at the time my mom was adamant against getting them since they were pretty much just sugar. In context now I'm glad she was!

I did get sweets, but usually on a designated "Treat day" which was every Friday. It was fun and made getting candies and goodies special after a long week.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another member of the no sugary cereals club here. Thinking of those cereals makes me think of a funny story.

I got a job at a grocery store when I was 14. I started buying my own cereal. This was 1984. Cereal was expensive back then. Even more so than now because they have bogo and such that they really didn't do back then. My three brothers used to go through my cereal like a swarm of locusts. Between the three of them they could kill an entire box in one sitting. They "didn't see" my name written on every side of the box in huge letters written in black Sharpie. This was getting expensive. I had to outsmart them. I took an empty box of something they didn't like then removed the bag of cereal I just bought from its own box and put the bag in the decoy box. They never did catch on. :winner: ME