Question of the Day, Friday, July 31

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Gosh, I can't believe we're already at the end of July. The summer is flying by.

Our gardens are starting to produce lots of veggies and tomatoes and peppers are starting to turn a bright and lovely red. Do you like tomatoes? What's your favorite way to eat tomatoes?

When I was younger and my parents were alive, I'd go to visit with them. I'd walk into the backyard and there would be my dad, sitting in the tomato patch with a salt shaker, munching down. And I'd join him in a tomato fest. We'd sit and eat tomatoes and talk about stuff. Nothing important, just stuff.

Today, Rick and I eat a lot of tomatoes, too. I love them sliced and sprinkled with a wee bit of salt and a scattering of pepper, sometimes with a light sprinkle of balsamic vinegar, along with dinner. When I see a particularly nice tomato, I don't slice it; I grab the salt shaker and eat it like an apple. Yum

How do you like to eat your tomatoes?

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer cooked tomatoes; I love fresh tomato sauce with olive oil, shallot, garlic and basil.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I like eating plain tomatoes (no salt as I'm sodium sensitive) but another way is with spinach and jalapenos (or habaneros which is better) and sliced hard boiled egg. I don't do salad dressing as well (acid reflux)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nowhere near my mouth or belly. I hate tomatoes!

I will eat barbecue sauce and I know they're in it though you can't really taste them, so I guess that would be my 'favorite' way of eating them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thickly sliced on an onion bagel with cream cheese. That's THE best. BLTs are second. Plain with salt third, but unfortunately if tomato juice touches my skin I get a rash so I can't just bite right in with the juice running down my arm, I have to cut it into bite-sized pieces. That reaction probably means I have a mild allergy, but I've never had trouble eating them as long as the juice stays inside of me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sliced with a bit of sugar for the larger ones, and whole right from the vine, or with dill dip for cherry or grape tomatoes.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I do not like raw tomatoes at all. I can eat them in a pico de gallo or something similar, but that's about it.

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love washing the grape tomatoes, left on the vine, leaving them wet, so a little bit of salt and pepper sticks to them and eating them like that or in salads. Bigger tomatoes...definitely BLT on toast!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We had fresh tomato snacks last night. Ritz cracker topped with tomato, basil, a bit of avocado, fresh mozzarella, and black pepper. :yummy: 😋

IMG_8500.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like tomatoes thinly sliced on a veggie sandwich or quinoa burger. I also use crushed tomatoes in my veggie chili.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love tomatoes. I actually like eating them raw best. I don't like them cooked as much.
Same here. I prefer them raw. Especially on a BLT or tomato sandwich. They are OK cooked as long as they are not in big chunks. I don't like chunky pasta sauces or things like that

Last edited: