Question Of The Day, Friday, July 26

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two - Toffee and Fudge are brothers and are going to be two years old tomorrow. I'm a first time cat owner myself, though my mother had always grown up with cats. I'd love to have more cats one day - I think four is the maximum number for me. I agree that a crazy cat person is more defined by their love for cats, though in number I'd say six or more.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have three: Iris and Lily are 15, litter mates I’ve had since they were kittens; Mocha is about five. I adopted her almost two years ago from the sanctuary where I volunteered. I’ve had cats since ‘74:
  • Sara (1974)
  • Sara and Brandy (1976)
  • Sara, Brandy and Teddy Bear (1983...plus, briefly, Teddy’s mom and four siblings making three indoor and five outdoor. I found homes for Mom and the four other kids.)
  • Teddy and Mayflower (1994)
  • Teddy, Mayflower and Max (1997)
  • Max, Iris and Lily (2004)
  • Iris, Lily and Mocha (2017)
They lived from 16 to 20 years. Max crossed the Bridge so recently (2017) that I still show him in my signature.

My definition of too many cats (or any animals) is when you and they are not healthy and happy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We currently have 3 cats.
Lily, red classic tabby, 2.5 years old.
Bynx, black with white patch on chest, 2 years old.
Chester, dilute (or cream?) broken mackerel tabby with white chest and paws, 1.5 years old.
The most we've ever had at once was 4.
The number of cats I would like to have : unlimited:blush:
And a crazy cat lady (or man) is anyone who has enough cats where you can call them a clowder and when they devote themselves to them. I don't see it as a bad thing either. It's a special kind of crazy.:catlove:
I get called a crazy cat lady all the time because of my passion for my and all kitties. I take it as a compliment, even if people don't mean it like that.:thumbsup:

“One cat shy of crazy”
I am SOOO getting something made that says that!!!!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have nine cats. It is the most I have ever had. A crazy cat person does not exist. If a person has a lot of cats and they can care for them all, it does not make them crazy. The only time there is an issue is when the cats cannot be cared for properly or the person just does not care about the cats.

Some *most* ages are estimates.
Simon Greystoke Thane--15ish, according to a recent vet visit.
Tara Lenore Tierney-- 7ish
Evangeline Evayne Snow--13ish
Estella Flannery Thyme--almost 7
Astrid Cordelia Rose--almost 7 (Estella's littermate)
Fennimore Strider Black--almost 6
Willow Elizabeth Sage--almost 6 (Fennimore's littermate)
Freya Adeline Prynne-- 4 1/2
Silas Endeavor Book-- 1 this week

We have a feral who claimed our porch. He is 4/5ish.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mainly had just one cat at the time apart from the ones that drift in and out of home for rescue or re-socializing.
I found you get a very special intimacy when you have just the one..or maybe that's just me. Typical male and cant cope with more than 2 things at once.lol
Was nearly catless this morning.
I was going to murder Blue this morning.
I lost my anti snore pillow sometime during the night and must have been lying back , mouth open snoring my head off and Blue stuck his paw all the way down in my mouth trying to find where the noise was coming from.
Keep thinking where his paw has been in his litter tray.

Think you cat crazy doesnt matter how many cats you got.

Back later..going for another mouthwash...aarrghh!!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I currently have 22, including the very friendly feral tom that comes to be fed every day.

The most I've ever cared for was about 36, when there were a lot of feral cats that needed to be TNR'd and kittens that needed catching and re-homing. 22 is a much easier number to deal with, but I'd never turn away a cat in need.

As long as I have the time, money, space and energy to care for the cats I have I don't see anything wrong with having a large number of them.

Crazy is a state of mind, not a number.

:runaround::runaround::runaround:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three right now. All our cats have been adopted or rescued.

Chocolate, a gorgeous mostly Himalayan sweetheart who's 14
Darwin, a bratty Russian Blue that should be an only child because he's a bully, age 8
Velcro, a jet black mostly Siamese who has an onion on everything and intends to tell you about it. He has bad ADHD. He's 7.

Over the years, we've had several shifting groups of five.

Mouse
Mephistopholes
Streaker
Sunshine
Two-Stroke
Armstrong Stormalong Puddytat
Merlin
Megabyte
Feather (my feline soulmate)
Habanero (Robert's soulmate)
Chocolate
Darwin
Velcro

I'd love to have another tuxedo or a big furry black guy or any kind of cat, but Darwin is too much of a bully and Chocolate is insecure as it is, so it's a no-go.

I'm not sure if a crazy cat person is a hoarder or a cat lover.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've got 2, Rose and Ruth. They're 7 and 4. Ruth acts like she's 4 months, not 4 years, which is why her nickname is Ruthless. LOL.

The most cats I've had has been 2, the bf wont let me adopt any more. I do think I'd like 4 max. But I'm cool with 2.

Crazy catlady... I dunno. I always say to people, "I'm crazy, and I'm a catlady, but I'm not a Crazy Catlady." A few months back, a coworker found this Crazy Catlady board game at a novelty shop while she was on vacation, and she bought it for me. It's great, the person with the most cats at the end wins! (I've only played it twice so far and didn't win! :confused2:)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently only have the 3.
The sisters - Onsa and Samai - who are 28 months old.
And Kumal, who's around 4 years.
I've had cats my whole life, but the cat I really want and will never have is the Rusty Spotted Cat.

Puff Kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Nikko and Tippi. Nikko is 2 years old, Tippi is 10 months old.

The most cats I've ever had is 2. These are my first cats that I've ever owned and things are perfect between them, so I think 2 cats is the right number for me.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I dont think there is a such thing as a crazy cat lady or a crazy cat man. Just because a person takes the time to look after and love one or several cats doesnt mean they are crazy. It just mean they are compasionate about cats. I had 2 cats Leo and Mc and 1 stray that used to come by that i named Atlas, and my parents and sister would tease me calling me a crazy cat lady. But i would tell them i am not crazy simply because i prefer a cats company over a human one.
I find some humans cruel, greedy, selfish, not the humans on this form but from my own experience and from what i see in the public and all over the world. I dislike people who think just because they are considered more inteligent than animals that they can treat animals as a lesser being. To me a life is a life. I comend people who take the time to look after or rescue animals even if it is one or 300 animals .
I have 12. I had 13 until last January, when we lost Sarah Jane. Mine are all strays and/or abuse cases. I take in the cats that others don't want and don't care about, are were left to die--some as young as 4 weeks. I resent being called a crazy cat lady. Other people are irresponsible (by not spaying or neutering), and I'M the crazy one? Some of these cats must've been kept in awful living conditions, judging by their appearance when I get them. Yet, people assume my house is filthy, flea-ridden and smelly because I took these cats in. It's not, BTW. I spend a ton of time cleaning up after them each day. They get clean, soft and warm things to sleep on. Their food bowls are cleaned each day, as are their water dishes. They get medical care. They get good food. Most of all, they get so much love from DH and I. So much time, love and money is devoted to them. Yet, I'm "crazy". My limit, though, is 12. More than that would not be fair to the other cats, and we could have trouble affording to keep them. I also care for about 23 feral cats away from my house.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have 12. I had 13 until last January, when we lost Sarah Jane. Mine are all strays and/or abuse cases. I take in the cats that others don't want and don't care about, are were left to die--some as young as 4 weeks. I resent being called a crazy cat lady. Other people are irresponsible (by not spaying or neutering), and I'M the crazy one? Some of these cats must've been kept in awful living conditions, judging by their appearance when I get them. Yet, people assume my house is filthy, flea-ridden and smelly because I took these cats in. It's not, BTW. I spend a ton of time cleaning up after them each day. They get clean, soft and warm things to sleep on. Their food bowls are cleaned each day, as are their water dishes. They get medical care. They get good food. Most of all, they get so much love from DH and I. So much time, love and money is devoted to them. Yet, I'm "crazy". My limit, though, is 12. More than that would be fair to the other cats, and we could have trouble affording to keep them. I also care for about 23 feral cats away from my house.
:rock:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just Cocoabean, not sure how old, about 10ish maybe?
We lost Casper in February due to illness. Never had more than the two.
We are adding another end August though if all goes as planned - a deposit was paid but until all health testing is done on the kitten it's not a done deal. She'll be 16 weeks when we pick her up (fingers crossed)
So, will be two again.
We're on a waiting list for another one but that won't happen for a couple of years so eventually it will be 3. And that, to me is when you tip into crazy cat person :lol: