Question of the Day, Friday, January 29

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At night, the only lights are nightlights in the bathrooms, a dimmed-down pendant light in the living room at the bottom of the stairs, and a motion activated light at the top of the stairs. I can't sleep with any light at all in the bedroom itself. Our only TV is downstairs, so it is a non-factor.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to sleep with the TV on, but I haven't had a TV in my bedroom in well-over a decade and I don't think I ever will again. Usually, my bedroom is dark except for the lights from my alarm clock and my humidifier. My humidifier also has a light feature and I'll sometimes have it lit up with red because it's the least bright color option. I have a box fan that I have on all night for white noise.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to sleep in the dark with a sleeping mask, ear plugs, and a white noise maker playing. Sadly, my crazy insomia keeps me up alot. I wish I could get sleep like I did in my 20's. Don't know how I function most days.😵

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My room isn’t totally dark: There’s a small amount of light “seepage” through the blinds, just enough so I don’t step on or kick a cat. I have those little glow-type night lights in the hallway and bathroom, again, to keep from hurting a kitty if I have to get up in the night. I need quiet, though. No TV in the bedroom. I couldn’t stand the noise or white light. I do have a ceiling fan that I run year-round to keep the air moving, but it’s silent.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a bit of a red glow upstairs from the night bulb of my snake tank (not in our bedroom), but we sleep in the dark. We do watch TV at night in bed, I need the distraction, but once I catch myself dozing off, I turn it off. My husband needs "white noise" so we have an air purifier in our bedroom. He used to use a fan, but I hate feeling "air flow" on me so the purifier that throws the air flow upwards instead of across the room was the compromise.
My humidifier also has a light feature and I'll sometimes have it lit up with red because it's the least bright color option.
Our air purifier has that too...but we found out that if we press and hold the ON/OFF "button" (it's more of a sensor thing than an actual button) after we turn it on, the lights will turn off completely.....so press/touch once to turn on, let go, then press/touch and hold again. Just a thought in case yours can do this too if you don't like the lights.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I both like it dark with the exception of a night light in the master bathroom so I can see Carleton's litter box if he uses it. We also need compete quiet in order to fall asleep. If a neighbor gets home late and slams their car door it wakes us up. :mad:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have terrible sleep issues,and what works for me is to fall asleep with the tv on,turned way down low.Seems like I sleep more soundly (when I do sleep) with it and the light from it.Neither seems to bother hubby at all.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have many talents in life, but one thing I'm proud of is my ability to sleep absolutely anywhere. Lying down, sitting up, light or dark, quiet room or moving bus. It's all the same to me.

I think it's because I'm a bit hyper. If I'm not working I'm cleaning the house or exercising, so by the time I get to bed I'm exhausted. I usually turn all the lights off before I go to bed, but at this time of year I leave the heat on.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot breathe if there is not even a bit of light in the bedroom at night. So I have a lampshade. However, the lampshade was knocked down the other day by Graham (again!) and I still have no time to buy a replacement. So for now I leave the hallway light on. I also cannot sleep without a/c, even if the weather is cold.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to leave the blinds open or Puar will play with them, so I sleep with the ambient lighting from outside (street lights/security lighting on the building next door). When it gets a bit warmer, I like having my window open just a touch so I can hear outside sounds like the highway. Kinda weird, but I"ve always had outside noise, so it's comforting to me. haha, lets you know the world is still there.

I'm pretty adaptable though, the only place I can notoriously not sleep is on airplanes. I fall asleep on the train all the time and have fallen asleep on buses, in cars, at heavy metal shows, at my desk, on a sunny patch of grass...etc.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, same here. All our blinds are open almost half way so the cats can see out and won't bang on them. It's a pain when trying to change clothes in my room, but the cats rule.
When I was in the hospital last year, Tommy, who is semi feral, tore up every blind in my house trying to get outside. I would let him inside at night but he would insist on going outside every morning.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Strange, though, a purring cat doesn't seem to bother me
The purring is soothing, comforting. It probably reduces my heart rate! :redheartpump: The middle-of-the-night slurping (Iris making sure her belly is clean), on the other hand, drives me bonkers! :disturbed: