Question of the Day, Friday, January 24

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't send out cards. But I will gift someone with a card and a tin of homemade cookies IF we see them around the holidays. They are just generic cards that are sending well wishes. Even people like my vet or mechanic. If I see them during the holiday season, they get a little something.
Overall though, I hate cards. I think they are a waste of money and a huge pain in the butt because I feel like I have to find the "right" card for that person, but there are a few family members that I still give cards to anyway. For those people I will get a card that "speaks to them" rather than simply a generic one. So I'm one of those, who stands in the card isle reading every card until I find the right one...such a hassle, but I feel like I can't stop because those who get those cards are the sentimental type and have commented on how much they love their cards and how they are always so perfect....Whatever makes them happy I guess...

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do send out Christmas cards ,but not a bunch.I think I usually send out probably 10 or so...most are to my doxie friends,and almost everybody sends a new Christmas pic of their pooch (or pooches).I have a dear friend that I worked with and she and I were the crazy cat ladies.We still exchange a card.I do print my own,and in my opinion it is cheaper to me.The last card I sent was to my daughter in law for her birthday,and it was a beautiful dragon,which she's into big time.She loved it,and framed it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I send twelve Yule cards each year. Well, it dropped by one from previous years since we no longer feel any obligation to my husband's father and step-mother. Because Yule and Solstice cards are not sold in any stores that I know of, I used to just get generic "Happy Holidays" cards, but, when my husband and I bought our wedding invitations and announcements, I found Yule and Soltice cards. So, now I go through Zazzle.com. They have 75% off sales a couple of times a year, so I buy them on sale. I even get a Krampus card for my son's best friend who is like a son to me.

My list includes my husband's four siblings, my sister, my son's best friend, my friend and her mother, my best friend, my mother-in-law, a friend from college, the women who sold us our house, and my husband's grandma and step-grandpa. I think the last one I filled out this year was to my sister.

I send six Christmas cards for my best friend. She is on year 10 of a 15-year prison sentence. (She killed her uncle in self-defense, but the way the laws are (were) in our state, she had an obligation to retreat and had stabbed him "more times than necessary to facilitate her retreat" according to the Court.) I send her a Jpay (prison "email") with pictures of various cards so she can pick one out. Her three children, her mother, and her two siblings each get a card.

I did send sign some cards at church that someone had brought in this year. She corresponds with prisoners and thought that they would enjoy our Christmas well-wishes. One of them wrote me back and he was an amazing, intelligent, and perceptive young man who has learned from his mistake
That is really sweet of her! My friend lives for the mail and Jpay. I mean that literally, not figuratively. Without mail and Jpay, I do not think she would have made it this long, especially since her children live across the country. This past year was extra hard on her because her oldest daughter had a baby and her youngest daughter was hospitalized with schizophrenia. Her son was also the victim of a hit and run, but he only had minor injuries. (She was tickled to death that we became grandmas a few months apart.) I write Jpays to her at least once a week and try to send letters every other week.