Question of the Day, Friday, January 22

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon! :wave3:

This morning coming back from getting our first Covid vaccines, we stopped at a local grocery store for orange juice. For some reason, I got this absolutely mad craving for a blueberry muffin. Walked over to the bakery section, checked the muffins out, found a 4-pack of blueberry and went to check-out. We got in the car, drove home, and I immediately opened the muffin box. They were chocolate chip! Ew! Ew! Ew! Now I'll be the first one to admit that I dearly love chocolate chip cookies. But chocolate chip muffins? No. When I really had my heart set on blueberry? NO! I was so disappointed.

I love blueberry muffins. I like raisin. I like apple-cinnamon. But chocolate chip? No. Nope. Nada. Needless to say, Rick will be eating the other muffins. Which is fine with him.

So: What is your favorite muffin? Sweet or savory? In your opinion, is there something that simply does not belong in a muffin? (In my case, it's chocolate chips.) What kind of muffin is your muffin?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blueberry, definitely. They aren't overly sweet but are still flavorful. Apple cinnamon are good but the Costco ones (the brand I buy most often) are kinda bland. Lemon poppyseed is fine but I'm always afraid they'll call a random drug test at work and I'll show up hot ;). Chocolate chip. . .they're good, just fine, but a bit too sweet for me.

Dry doesn't matter to me because I dip every bite in milk anyway.

I don't think I've ever had a savory muffin. I'd like to try one.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest,I'm not a real fan of muffins,so I never even make them,or buy them.Once in a while,WalMart bakery will have these cranberry orange muffins that are really really good,and I might buy one package.Then...that's it for another year.I think they may have them around the holidays,but come to think of it,I don't think I saw them this year.Oh well.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to say that blueberries do not belong in muffins. I embarassed my husband once when we were traveling and having breakfast in the hotel (contentinal). All they had was blueberry muffins, so I picked them out before eating it.

Favorite - I guess banana nut, but homemade kind. Haven't had any in a long time. Store bought ones aren't very good.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a huge muffin fan but I am a sucker for blueberry muffins, especially when the tops are a little well done. YUM. Prefer made at home because the berries I can get are usually way better than what's in a premade mix or from the market.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We got in the car, drove home, and I immediately opened the muffin box. They were chocolate chip! Ew! Ew! Ew! Now I'll be the first one to admit that I dearly love chocolate chip cookies. But chocolate chip muffins? No. When I really had my heart set on blueberry? NO! I was so disappointed.
Funny you should mention this because i was craving a zucchini muffin which is my favorite, also zucchini bread. The package was clearly marked with a label that said zucchini but when I got home they were chocolate chip - sound familiar??? :rolleyes2:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No sweet muffins here.
I like blueberry muffins
Corn muffins
Cranberry muffins
Jalapeño muffins
Rosemary muffins
And my all time favorite is tart lemon thyme muffin ( only sold in a bakery 35 miles away)
IMO chocolate muffins are yucky.

I'm with you bbdoll22 bbdoll22 . Sweet muffins with all that stuff in them is not a muffin, it's a round piece of cake.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends. I like Dunkin’s Coffee Cake muffin. I grew up on my Grandma’s bran muffins with a cup of tea. My mom’s blueberry muffins are super good. (She’s generous with REAL fresh blueberries; the store bought ones are usually gross.) The grocery store bakery by my Grandma’s house makes a pistachio one that’s really good. Apple Cinnamon ones with chunks of apples are really good too. Banana chocolate is also good.

I don’t bake muffins often. But I dont mind having one as a treat if we are out.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love blueberry muffins. I think they are my favorite. Chocolate chip are OK but would never be my first (or second) choice. I will occasionally get a blueberry muffin from Dunkin. I like theirs because they have the coarse (sparkling?) sugar on top. I recently tried their coffee cake muffin and they were good too. I ordered the blueberry through the app and when I got to the drive thru they were out so I asked for that instead. The very sweet employee that helped me gave me 2 of them. They are very good but I still prefer blueberry. What does not belong in a muffin (or any food, really) is bananas. Vile, nasty things. My culinary arch enemy.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love blueberry and banana nut the most, I think. I like trying most flavors, though, especially for store bought.

I remember as a kid when my mom made muffins, the chocolate chip were a disappointment when compared to the blueberry.