Question of the Day, Friday, January 21

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I've been pretty lucky as I've not been having any problems getting anything as of now.I don't feed my guys canned food at all...they eat purina naturals chicken and Mystery eats Blue indoor healthy chicken and brown rice.There have been times when I go to WalMart and their shelves in the pet dept. are crappy,but I can usually get their food online..So other than the prices,which we're all seeing and not happy with,I'm in good shape.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for cat food. I try to get some whenever I go shopping or place an order online with Target or WM. I have cat food on my Amazon subscribe and save as well.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat food has been lacking here since November 2020 but the last month has been especially shocking. My last Chewy order was a mess and the one overpriced box I was able to get for my 4 came damaged with busted and dented cans and a partially destroyed box dripping with gravy. Luckily they refund for that so I did get some usable cans "for free" but it's just another blip in the long list of issues we've had personally.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having trouble getting carrots and spinach for awhile. I finally just went into the store instead of doing online orders and got some carrots. I don't know if it was just the store I was ordering from, or something else. As for cat food, I have enough canned cat food to last for at least another month and a half, so I am okay for now. I will put in huge orders of canned food every few months and I haven't had too much of an issue yet. Some sites were out of stock on a lot of the ones I wanted, but there were other options, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been able to get most of what I want, but brand loyalty has to go out the window.

The cat food shortage seems to have cleared up around here, though. It was pretty bad last fall.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can not find Luna's favorite wet food anywhere online or even in stores; Merricks Backcountry Rabbit Morsels. Other flavors are available but she's not as enthusiastic about the others. At least she likes kibble and I have plenty to tide her over for a while if I can't get any of the wet she prefers.

Lots of problems with Fancy Feast Classics too though and Cocoa will pretty much only eat that. She has nearly no teeth left and it's the easiest for her to manage. She used to like those Savory Centers but they only come in mixed variety boxes now and she's not nuts about the 2 fish flavors so it's a complete waste of money.

It's been a real struggle. I always stock up but I'm almost at that point where I need to think about replenishing and the rabbit is the one I'm most concerned over.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Until now I cannot find from both local stores and online the cat food my cats prefer, and I do not have other options but to stock in the other much expensive brands which my cats do not even eat much anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The girls have gotten a bit picky, which makes the cat food problem worse. For years, they all loved Friskies Pate Chicken and Tuna. They would scarf that down in no time. Well, Tabby has decided she doesn't like Chicken and Tuna anymore. Oh, she'll eat it, but she is not amused. She'll take forever to eat and she gives me "those" looks the whole time. I have started to feed Chicken and Tuna for breakfast because she's hungriest in the morning and will eat it. Eventually.

And now Mollipop has decided that she no longer likes Poultry Platter. She'll eat a bit of it, then walk away.

And I can't go with another brand. I tried when I found a couple cans of Blue Buffalo. They all went on a hunger strike. Even Amber. Muffin was very dramatic about it. Walked over to her dish, stopped, sniffed, looked at me, sniffed, turned around and tried to cover it. She wouldn't even try it!

They're making the situation worse. I give them the whole "starving cats in China" spiel, but they don't care.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have a lot of little mouths to feed, and it's so hard to buy canned cat food. About all I can get in Wegmans are those tiny cans of gourmet food, which I can't afford and they also make my cats vomit.

Ramen noodles are in short supply here, but I seldom eat them. Breakfast cereal shelves are getting bare. I'm also having trouble finding shoes for the past few months.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to Tractor Supply for some stuff, among which was cat food. Looks like the shortages are showing up again. Most brands they carry were in stock, but only a few of each. I was able to get another 24-pack of Friskies, so I'll probably have enough until some time in February, what with the cat food I already have around here.

Most people food isn't unavailable, but some dairy products are in short supply, as are canned mushrooms (except for pieces and stems, which are always available because they're almost a by-product of other mushroom production). I have found some dried pastas to be in short supply, but there's always some other type I can use.