Question of the Day, Friday, January 14

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Do you like having friends drop by to visit? What do you do if somebody calls you to say they're coming by? Do you like to invite people for dinner or to watch a movie or to just come in and chat?

I love people coming in....well, I did before Covid. If I knew somebody was coming to visit for an hour (or three), I would rush around doing last-minute cleaning, maybe throw together some muffins or cookie bars, make a pot of coffee or tea. I have always enjoyed friends visiting.

What about you? Yay or nay?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a fan of the popover since we're notoriously unorganized especially now that I work from home 100%. I don't mind people seeing a slight mess but not crazy about being forced into tidying up with no time to spare. Plus we'd never have anything to even serve other than coffee/tea. Entertaining requires some planning even if it's casual since we don't stock up on items we don't regularly eat/drink.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i rather go visit/hang out at friends/peoples houses :lol:but thats mainly a preference developed from my past life the whole less people know of/about me the less they have to snitch me out with or use as a get outta jail ticket with the police type thing along with you attract far less attention when you just keep to yourself (friendly with your neighbors etc.)nobody likes living next to a party house

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out here, people don't just 'pop in' or they may get shot. Not me, everyone up here.
The only person who has an open invitation is my best friend. He can drop by and stay as long as he likes.

Edit: I should have said - I wouldn't shoot someone, but everyone up here has a gun and they will shoot first. Usually only at the person's feet though.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Do you like having friends drop by to visit? What do you do if somebody calls you to say they're coming by? Do you like to invite people for dinner or to watch a movie or to just come in and chat?

I love people coming in....well, I did before Covid. If I knew somebody was coming to visit for an hour (or three), I would rush around doing last-minute cleaning, maybe throw together some muffins or cookie bars, make a pot of coffee or tea. I have always enjoyed friends visiting.

What about you? Yay or nay?
I would have to say Nay. Largely do to the Covid situation. Also due to the extremely cold winter weather. I occasionally meet with neighbors for a brief chat if I have a reason to go out.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like people just showing up without warning, especially now with covid and the baby, but I think my parents are the only ones that have ever done that. I don't mi d if they ask if it's okay and give me a head's up. It won't be clean, though. :lol: I barely function some days.

It's easier to meet outside the house. Or was before the baby.

Lol, she just complicates everything. It's good she's cute.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, no one who knows us would dream of stopping in without calling ahead, and we return the favor. We don't mind the occasional visitor, but we also don't make a thing of inviting people over. We don't have a large circle of friends or family still in the area, so that isn't a problem. The last time we had visitors was several weeks ago when one of our nieces and her husband were by for supper.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't. I want to know if someone is planning on coming over, and I don't want them to stay too long. And definitely don't want anyone here (or go visiting myself) with covid hanging around. Basically, I'm an introvert. People wear me out. I like visiting out somewhere for a bit, then we go our separate ways.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nay!! Unless it's my mother. I'm rarely company ready and definitely not a good entertainer. I'm just not. It's mostly my introverted side. I can do small talk and I don't mind it in certain doses. But sometimes I tap out and then its like blank stare... :lol: I'm more like one of those people who hits the floor like a spy when the doorbell rings unexpectedly. It used to drive me nuts when my kids were little and would bolt for the door if someone rang the bell. I finally got a No Soliciting sign and that helped. Then covid. But they are trained now! :lol:

Actually a few weeks ago my son's Godparents went to stop by with his Christmas presents and we were here; but we never heard the doorbell! And my phone wasn't right on me so I never saw the text that they were going to be in the area. Or the notification from the security camera that recorded them ringing the doorbell and waiting! I felt SO bad!! I don't mind them stopping by. They don't judge me if my house isn't immaculate or my kids are in pjs. I just want to be properly dressed myself. ;)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a heads up, esp. since I say so many goofy kitty things to Zorro! My artist neighbor has a great sign which says “yes” in green on one side and “no” in red on the other, which flips around accordingly. Everybody respects it and knows when he likes a pop in at his studio.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In the late 70's, there was a popular SNL skit with Belushi, Curtin, Murray, etc called The Thing That Wouldn't Leave. My friends and I all meet socially in various places for activities like walking at botanical gardens or lunch (not during COVID of course). Then we all go our separate ways.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I love having people over to visit. Thing is I live so far away from everything and my house is kind of hard to find, so it's difficult to persuade people to come up here.

No one ever drops by unannounced. I'm more likely to get a call saying,

"Hey, we went past the golf course and now the roads are all just dirt tracks. Are we lost? How do we get to your house?!"

:lol: