Question Of The Day, Friday, January 11

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This time of year,I'm a believer in airborne.I get the tablets that fizz in a bottle of water,and that's what I do.I used it all the time when I worked,being exposed to sick associates all the time and I was rarely ill.I have also used zicam in the past and was pleased with the results.I haven't been without a flu shot in many years,and am up to date with the pneumonia shot...try and prevent what I can.When something does come along,it almost always brings about the need for the nebulizer and I prefer mucinex liquid.I do like the halls honey lemon lozenges,have been known to mix up my mother in laws elixir of ginger brandy,honey and lemon juice and I would not ever be without my beloved Watkins menthol camphor salve.I have hbp as well,so decongestants are a no no.Seems like my worst time of year is going to be when everybody is cutting and baling hay!

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I get the first hint, I start eating Zicam. It works for me usually. If I do get a cold anyway, it is much less severe. I cannot take any anti=histamines because they cause bad side effects - hallucinations, not being able to focus, shaking, and not being able to sleep for 48-36 hours. Same for Nyquil. So if I do get a cold I just have to buy a lot of Kleenex. For cough I use Hall's cough drops.

I usually get a flu shot but this year I just have not taken the time. I did get the pneumonia shot and the shingles shot.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a lot of medications that interact with cold/flu medications, so over the counter stuff is just not available to me, as are the majority of prescription medications. I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot, but that obviously does nothing for colds.

My go to is a ginger tea that I brew up. My children, husband, and friends also have me make it for them when they are sick. 2 c water in a saucepan, 1/2" ginger root sliced or grated (I keep mine in the freezer and just slice or grate it frozen), 1 tea bag or 2 t loose black tea, a couple shakes of cayenne pepper, and honey and/or brown sugar to taste. I simmer the ginger and pepper for 5 minutes before adding the tea bag. I then double strain it. Ginger powder can be a substitute. If I have it on hand, and I usually do, I add 1/4 t slippery elm, 1 t nettle leaves, and 1 t lemon balm. The base recipe is fine, though.

If I am feeling okay enough to cook, I also make Tom Kha Gai soup with some added wontons.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take Nyquil. I usually just keep going with a cold. I have the type of job where I can stay to myself. I keep a canister of Lysol wipes in my desk and I normally wipe down my desk once a week but when I have a cold I do it daily. Now that I am older I started getting flu shots again after many years of not getting them. I haven't gotten a pneumonia shot, probably should.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i catch a cold or flu, i must slow down and take care of myself. otherwise, it'll drag on longer.

i'll take cough drops, have hot tea, chicken noodle soup, and i 'jack up' the vitamin C -- i'll have two glasses of Tang per day, which each glass has 100% of the daily vitamin C in it. if it's bad enough, i stay in bed as much as possible. and if it's bad enough, anything not absolutely necessary to do, just doesn't get done.

i don't get a flu or pneumonia shot, never have. i have had pneumonia as well as bronchitis, and i'm told that that makes me more...vulnerable to getting those again. so i treat colds/flu very seriously, as i don't need pneumonia or bronchitis again.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get the flu shot, but I haven't been to the doctor this season, so I haven't gotten it this year. When I do get a cold, I usually just ride it out. If the sore throat is really bad I use Cepacol, then when the coughing hits I'll start taking cough drops. Growing up, I rarely remember my mom giving us stuff for colds. I think that's why my siblings and I rarely get sick, but I don't even know if that would be related. I only took one microbiology class in college (but I did love that class).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
With this cold, I really didn't feel it coming on. It was just that one night, I thought, "Man, I'm coughing a bit" and boom! there it was. No sore throat. But then I got achy.

If I could breathe OK, the cough would go away. I need to get rid of the drainage.

Oh, a woman at work told me to slather the soles of my feet in Vicks Vaporub and then put a pair of socks on when I go to bed at night. It works! I don't know why, but it works. I'm on my second jar of Vicks. It gives my feet a nice warm toasty feeling and, combined with the heat from the electric blanket, I don't cough much at all at night. Is it psychosomatic? Could be.

Rick gets a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I don't. I did get a flu shot once and got the flu anyway. There are so many flu strains out there and the shot can't cover them all. I'll probably start getting a pneumonia shot this coming fall. We are going to get shingles shot, too.....but that's another post. ;)

I have to say that I like debbila debbila 's thought; maybe I'll get through my next cold by eating chocolate! :lol:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I get BAD colds, but they don't last as long as other peoples'. Major nose congestion. My record is five large boxes of tissues in four days. I'm lucky that it mostly stays in my nose, instead of going to my chest. I can't take anything for it, as the side effects are worse than the cold--and I can't drive. I treat it my diet: lots of tomato-based soups, etc. I drink a large glass of water, with about 2 teaspoons of cider vinegar stirred in, which seems to pep me up and ease the congestion a bit. I do this twice a day. You can add sugar or honey, but I'm diabetic, I drink it neat. You get used to the taste!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the severity the symptoms. If it's minor coughing, congestion, etc then I just take OTC medicine usually Robitussin or TheraFlu. Hot tea is comforting. I kind of know just by how I feel if I need to see the doctor or not and if staying home from work is best.

I haven't gotten sick in about 2 years now. I don't think I've ever had the flu but I did have pneumonia. Stupid supervisor grudgingly let me take a few days off but then bullied me into working :angrywoman:

Wait... Rubbing alcohol can be drunk?:eek:
No. I put it in my ear.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I hate colds almost as much as I hate house cleaning. I get sinus infections twice a year like clockwork since 1994ish. Every November then again in Feb or March when it warms up. I do have insane allergies..I must have damage in my sinuses from all the illnesses I had as a teenager and younger. I used to get ear infections and sick all the time. I also lived with a smoker so smoking never helped. I live on sudafed. I also take Claritin D daily. I don't stay home unless I have a fever or really feel junky. I have had pneumonia 2 times so far. So yes I usually force myself to lay down more but I never sleep when I do..so half the time I just get up and push myself through it. Or at least try to stay moving enough so I can actually sleep...I seem to be blessed with laying down and staring at the wall even when sick. I drink a ton of orange juice and used to get allergy shots which I think has helped me as my allergies are not as intense anymore. If I am hacking and feverish I won't go in the store unless I can't get someone to go for me..I try to stay stocked up on non perishables so I don't need to go shopping.