Question Of The Day, Friday, January 11

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess: (I live for weekends)

Well, I've been dealing with this cold from Hades now for a good two weeks. Still hacking away, still snotting away, still not able to talk without coughing. Because of HBP and because of my allergies, my doctor basically said, "Well, you seem to be over the worst of it. And because of your other problems, I hesitate to prescribe anything for you. Let's let it go; I think you're going to be OKay." Well, dang.

I'm taking Coricidin HBP and that's pretty much it. Can't use Halls lozenges because my face will swell up (allergy). No aspirin, nothing. Well, dang again. I am lucky; I was off sick all last week (other than the holiday) and nobody at work blinked an eye. They'd rather we stay home and commiserate alone then bring the whole thing in and share it at work.

So let's talk about colds: How do you deal with a cold? Is there anything you do to help curb your coughing? Do you go to bed and stay there until you're 1) Dead as a doornail, or 2) Pretty sure you're going to survive? Or do you take your favorite meds and go about your life as usual? And while we're talking about colds and flu, do you get a flu shot? How about a pneumonia shot?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't do flu shots. Have had pneumonia shot. At the very first sign of a cold, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. my "go to" remedy is honey and vinegar. I mix 50/50 local honey (if possible) and apple cider vinegar with the "mother." I take a tablespoon and then dose with it all day, every time I think about it. If I have to go somewhere, I put my jar inside a plastic zip bag and into the drink holder in my car. If necessary, I do it the second day, but it usually is not necessary. The trick here is start just as soon as you feel it coming, don't wait. I would say it works 8/10 times for me. If it doesn't and I still get the cold, I take one of the meds. that you drop in water and it fizzes.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Thera Flu for my symptoms because, as I was told many years ago, if you take meds for a cold, it will last about 14 days. If you don't, it will last about 2 weeks. I got a pneumonia shot last year when I had my physical, but not a flu shot because the last time I did, I got the flu anyway.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to get nasty head colds. I usually have no choice but to continue my day as normal, so I just take lots of Equate cold and sinus.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get a flu shot. If I start to get a cold I start using Zicam nasal spray. I think it helps me. I also take otc cold meds and stay in bed as much as possible. I really hate it when I go shopping and I see people who are obviously ill just casually strolling through the store, snotting and coughing along the way. :argh:Keep your germs to yourself! If you have to go to the store, get in and get out quick! Don't just wander around.:gaah:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have asthma, and always end up with a sinus infection/bronchitis.

I get a yearly flu shot, have had the pneumonia vaccines.

When I feel a scratchy throat-- gargle with warm salt water.

Drink tea with honey..

Make a tea from fresh ginger root and honey.. sip on that.

I take tylenol, and if I really need to: Mucinex--but I am really careful with that.

and I sometimes resort to AFrin nasal spray, one side at a time..

Recently I used a sinus wash. I think it did help, a lot.. kind of tricky to use..

and for the cough. I use Delsym to begin with.. but the only thing that will really work is Codeine cough med..

I stay home, chicken soup--mostly broth.. some ginger ale, cranberry juice, tea and toast.. and of course, I need my large bag of chips!!

I crave chips when I am sick..

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I feel a cold or something coming on I usually start taking Airborne and sometimes zinc drops too. For a cough it's cough drops as needed, although I usually try drinking water first. The Starbucks Medicine Ball Tea (they have some menu name for it but can't remember right now) is pretty good for a sore throat too. I also do orange juice a lot for the acidity on a sore throat.

I usually try to do everything as normal because there just isn't time for down time. If it's the weekend I will sleep as much as possible. If I end up staying home it's sleep as well. Luckily I am one of those people who can sleep usually fairly easily. I was sick between Christmas and New Year's and ended up staying home one day. I slept 19 or of 24 hours that day, it was wonderful and I felt better.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually take NyQuil to help me sleep, but my must-have for coughing are Olbas Pastilles herbal cough drops. Absolutely amazing little things!

Oh, and Throat Coat herbal tea helps soothe a raw throat, too, but the Olbas are miracle workers for stopping a coughing fit in its tracks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I feel the start of a cold I take Beechams Powders. It usually works if I take it soon enough but if the cold develops, then I dont take anything, just let it run its course.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get a flu shot every year and had a pneumonia vaccine twice (it's good for 20 years). So I haven't had a cold in years. If I did, I would take Claritin D or Allegra D for the runny nose. These meds are meant for allergies, but the D is pseudoephedrine, which opens the nasal passages. People make meth from it, so you have to show your driver's license and sign your life away. But it works.

If I have a chest cough, I don't take anything because that is a constructive cough - it frees your lungs from mucus. If it's a tickle-in-the-throat cough (post-nasal drip), then I take a cough medicine with dextromethorphan in it. Dextromethorphan is a specific med for throat coughs, and it really works.

If I'm sleepy from the cold, I stay in bed or sleep on the couch during the day. I never went to work when I had a bad cold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bronkaid is super awesome. Opens you right up. It's ephedrine mixed with Mucinex, so you have to sign for it. But it's inexpensive and very effective. It's supposedly only for people with asthma (which I have) but my mom has taken it for a cold too.

I got a flu shot this year (first time ever) but I don't know if I've ever actually had influenza or not, so that might not even make a difference. But I haven't gotten a cold yet this season.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely get sick and when I do, it's an ear infection. I've got one now in my left ear and the right one is threatening to join the party. I use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and ACV with the mother and that knocks it out. I try not to take cold medicine unless I really have to and then it's Dayquil. I drink lots of liquids and try to get plenty of rest. Lilith always knows when I don't feel well and she glues herself to my side. That helps. I'm convinced. :heartshape:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have asthma, and always end up with a sinus infection/bronchitis.
For a cold I usually treat it with TLC but for some reason if it turns into a bad cough it usually goes straight to my lungs and I need to see the allergist/immunologist.

I get a yearly flu shot because I work with students in a school environment. I still have not had the pneumonia vaccine(s). It's my understanding there are two different vaccines you have to get a year apart so I've been procrastinating until they combine it into one shot. Call me a procrastinator. ;)

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get sick. Well...almost never. I did have the flu once, about 15 years ago, worst two weeks of my life. (actual flu, not flu like symptoms). But when my mom or son gets a cold, I give them Alka Seltzer Cold. They start to feel much better within 30 minutes and it last for around 4-6 hours.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vitamin C and lots of ZINC. I get a flu shot yearly for the past 20 yrs and got the flu once, only because my ex exposed me to it. I got sick 3 days and he was sick almost a month!! I got 2 different pneumonia shots only because the doctors could not agree which shot was most effective. The flu shot making a person sick is an old wivestale and as long as you have no allergies to eggs the shot could save your life. Having had cancer and now sick blood I figured a shot is the least I can do to prevent both myself and family and friends from getting VERY ILL.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the severity the symptoms. If it's minor coughing, congestion, etc then I just take OTC medicine usually Robitussin or TheraFlu. Hot tea is comforting. I kind of know just by how I feel if I need to see the doctor or not and if staying home from work is best.

I haven't gotten sick in about 2 years now. I don't think I've ever had the flu but I did have pneumonia. Stupid supervisor grudgingly let me take a few days off but then bullied me into working :angrywoman:

I use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and ACV with the mother and that knocks it out.
Wait... Rubbing alcohol can be drunk?:eek:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take a lot of Dayquil, a tiny bit of Nyquil, and continue on with my life. I only got the flu shot when it was required for school. I've had pneumonia 2 or 3 times (depends on which parent I ask) so I should probably seriously consider the shot.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I get a cold, I take Zicam extreme congestion for about 3 days and go about my life. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old, so lying in bed is never an option. :lol: I find that after 3 days, the congestion is largely gone.

I haven't gotten a flu shot in years. I usually skip it for my kids too, but this year I decided to get it for my 4 year old (my 6 year old has a history of seizures, so I avoid it for him). Wouldn't you know that she's the only one who has had the flu this season. :rolleyes2:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Lemsip, herbal tea and cold and flu tablets. Normally I spend more time relaxing, depending on how bad the cold is.
I got a flu jab a few weeks ago.