Question of the Day, Friday, February 21

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

What color is the outside of your house? Do you like that color or would you like to change it? To what?

We have a bi-level. We built it in 1985 and moved in early 1986. The outside is light blue siding with black shutters and a cranberry door. We're going to start looking at new siding and are thinking of going with a greyish color to go with the she shed. Still with the black shutters and we'll keep our cranberry front door. At our age, this will probably be the last time we put new siding on the house.

What about you? What are your outside colors? Do you like them? What would you change them to?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is painted, its called Sand. I like it because its clean looking and blends in with the surroundings. I will most probably repaint the entire outside in a year or two but will change the colour.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White siding with dark blue shutters and front door. Yes. I like it. The shutters and door used to be a lighter blue but I had them painted a few months ago.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a converted barn, so it's red with white trim. There are only 2 acceptable colors for a barn---red with white trim and white with red trim. I probably would never paint a regular house red but it's a barn so that's that.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butter yellow siding and brown shutters that have a greenish tint, olive green door. I like the yellow, not particularly fond of the trim color, but it goes together.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 2 story house, built in 1903, has light blue clapboards on the second floor over white stucco on the first, with dark blue shutters and white trim.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a taupe color, with white trim. It was a bit darker when first painted but has faded some so I am not the crazy about the color.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. White with green "shutters" and trim. Gonna change it, it's been that combo since I moved in back in the fall of 2002. Dunno what I'll change it to. Part of me wants this Caribbean island Ja Mon' loud color combination, while another part wants more restrained subtlety.

Here's a picture of the house in the background. Yes, it would be prettier if it was tidier, and working on that.

baronii.jpg

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ours is stucco, sage green in color. I love it. It used to be white and really stuck out, we could see it from the highway when we drove by. Now it kind of blends in with the oak and pine trees around us. There was mostly wood trim and doors. When we got dark bronze/rust colored gutters, we got the trim and doors repainted to match the gutters. That just got finished last week. Looks great. :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is a side split with a mix of white painted brick (lower parts) and white siding as the main "color". But the trim (roof line), doors and shutters are a forest green :barfgreen:, the shingles used to also be green, but we replaced our roof and now have multi-tonal grey shingles. I hate the green and am going to re-paint it someday in shades of dark/stone grey for the roof line and shutters, something along these shades...
1582309903874.png
1582310121714.png
1582310174985.png

and I want to re-paint the door in a rich greyish purple or a rich "raspberry" color, a deep purple pink type shade.
Similar to one of these.
1582309032918.png
1582308775678.png

most of the flowers I have in the front flower beds are tiger lily and purple iris and I also have lily of the valley and chinese lantern. But I will be redoing my flower beds "soon" and adding forget me not and black eyed susan.
The orange and deep yellows would pop nicely and complement a purple/pink colored door....At least, I think it would...:thumbsup:

And depending on how things look, the painted brick parts of the house COULD get changed as well, but I'm not sure. I will keep the white siding as is.

Attachments

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Light blue with white windows and front door. I'm pretty okey doey with it! It's cute, happy and unique. It's a 150+ farmhouse so it suits it, without it being dated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yellow and I hate it. I never thought about what color I would change it to. I'll have to pay attention to houses next time I'm in town and pick a favorite color. Nothing bright though! No orange, purple, or pink. Maybe brown, tan, or gray, or brick. I like how log cabins look!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a yellow house we just painted this last summer because we bought the house the fall before. It was a horrible poopy brown. And We’ve had this color house since about 1990, and have had 3 houses since then. It’s called “metro paint” and it’s actually recycled/refurbished paint that is just like a high grade paint like Sherman Williams or rodda. The color is called “corn yellow” but to me it looks like a (real) butter yellow. We have grey trim with grey shutters. Our door is a maroon red. I’m very happy with this because it’s cheerful and light! We’ll probably not change the color!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is a light blue-ish grey. I do not hate it, but I would not have picked it. When we bought it, the previous owner had tried--and failed--to with match the porch paint to the siding or to make the porch close to the siding color but more blue. And it was painted with interior paint. Two summers ago, we did a bunch of outside work, including making new porch posts that fit the style of our house better, repairing the porch and the deck, and painting the porch, the porch ceiling, and the back deck. We went with Cracked Pepper for the deck, porch, and trim and Black Sapphire for the door (both by Berh). We did the ceiling a bright blue close to Taos blue rather than the soft blues typically associated with porch ceilings (Haint blue). It is a Craftsman(ish) style bungalow built by the previous owner's (great?) grandpa who dabbled in construction. It lacks the typical built-ins found in typical Craftsmans but has a lot of the elements.

(If you look at the right of the picture, you can see one of our feral houses on the porch.)

Attachments