Question of the Day, Friday, February 14

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

What cartoons did you watch when you were a child? Were there any cartoons that you never missed? Were you a child who watched tv on weekend mornings?

When I was younger, there was a local show on tv called Hatchy Milatchy. It was a lot like Mister Rogers, but was produced back in the 1950s to early 1960s. It was on every weekday morning, I think, for 90 minutes. There were cartoons on the show, but Miss Judy (as she was known) always did things that catered to the young child. My brother and I watched it during the summer, once school was out. Or if we were sick and not in school, we could flop on the couch and watch it.

I also watched Speed Racer and Jonny Quest, not to mention those old standard cartoons (Loony Tunes, Underdog, Tom and Jerry, etc.)

What about you? What cartoons did you watch as a child?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young, I preferred watching animal planet to cartoons. This was when the programs were more educational, and before all the drama and reality shows started. I did watch my little pony regularly though.

When I was a teen, I got into many nick cartoons that were for kids, like jimmy neutron, danny phantom, and such.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven’t thought of these for years! Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mr Magoo, Foghorn Leghorn, Top Cat, all of the Looney Tunes characters, Mighty Mouse, The Jetsons, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Underdog. And then there was Snagglepuss and Augie Doggie and Pop Eye. Fractured Fairy Tales. Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Sigh.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, there really wasn't much in the way of cartoons. We had Popeye, and a few others whose names escape me. Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, et al, came later. The Saturday programming had a few cartoons, but it was mostly shows like the Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, Fury, My Friend Flicka, and Sky King.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom and Jerry was my favourite and is still the best cartoon series ever except for the newer ones. I also liked Popeye, Tin Tin and Bugs Bunny.
There were a few sort of semi cartoons like Noggin the Nog and Bleep and Booster from the UK kids show Blue Peter. Bleep and Booster were just stills with a voice over.
Noggin the Nog was very atmospheric with eerie music.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, so many...My absolute favorites were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the good version where April wore the yellow jumpsuit), He-man and She-Ra. But there were so many more like Thundercats, Transformers, Spiderman, Recess, Gummi Bears, Sailor Moon, Loony Tunes, Simpsons, The Real Ghostbusters, Duck Tales, Doug, My Pet Monster, Gargoyles, Beetlejuice, Alvin and the Chipmunks, X-Men, ReBoot, Garfield and Friends, Jem and the Holograms, Rainbow Bright, The Raccoons...And I know there are others I have watched over my childhood years, and to be honest, still into adulthood. I love cartoons!
And although I listed a butt load of shows, it's not like I sat in front of the TV all day, It's just that I remember so many that I really enjoyed. I was a big "Saturday morning watcher" though, while everyone slept in I was up, laying 3 feet from the TV with a pillow and blanket, watching all my cartoons with nobody bugging me!
I also miss the old Disney Cartoons they would come out with, Did Disney have an actual "Disney hour" type thing for their cartoon shorts? I can't remember, but I know many Disney cartoon shorts with all sorts of different characters.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid there were a lot of good cartoons. Loony Tunes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Huckleberry Hound, George of the Jungle, Mighty Mouse, Felix the Cat, Top Cat, Quick Draw McGraw, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, you know all the cartoons from the 50s and 60s. I was born in 1955 so we had none of the new cartoons listed here. I can't remember the name of the cartoon but I also liked Sherman and Mr Peabody, Boris and Natasha and Snagglepuss (you know) "Exit stage left"

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid there were a lot of good cartoons. Loony Tunes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Huckleberry Hound, George of the Jungle, Mighty Mouse, Felix the Cat, Top Cat, Quick Draw McGraw, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, you know all the cartoons from the 50s and 60s. I was born in 1955 so we had none of the new cartoons listed here. I can't remember the name of the cartoon but I also liked Sherman and Mr Peabody, Boris and Natasha and Snagglepuss (you know) "Exit stage left"
Sherman and Peabody, as well as Boris and Natasha were part of the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon show

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't all that into cartoons as a kid and was more into game shows, but the ones I liked were Doug, Rugrats, Tiny Toon Adventures, Rocko's Modern Life, Arthur, Ren & Stimpy, Bobby's World, Care Bears, and Adventures of the Gummi Bears. There weren't any that I needed to see though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't all that into cartoons as a kid and was more into game shows, but the ones I liked were Doug, Rugrats, Tiny Toon Adventures, Rocko's Modern Life, Arthur, Ren & Stimpy, Bobby's World, Care Bears, and Adventures of the Gummi Bears. There weren't any that I needed to see though.
Yeah that's my time period too. We also got old cartoons in between shows (because military TV didn't have commercials) so they played the silly ones like Jabber Jaws, Dinky Doggie, various Looney Tune/Disney shorts, etc.

Has anyone seen "Pigs Is Pigs"? That was totally my favorite short, lol.

I know we watched cartoons just about every day (military TV played an hour or two of cartoons after school, before the game shows and news came on) but I don't remember most of them specifically. I can still sing the theme songs to Gummi Bears and DuckTales though :D.