Question of the Day, Friday, February 12

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

How old is your home? How long have you lived there?

Rick and I built our house in 1985 and we moved in in early 1986. It's your standard bi-level on almost 1-1/2 acres. Two bedrooms, one bath, etc. Nothing fancy. But it's home.

How about you?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house was built in 1983 and I moved in there in 1993. I lived there for 28 years. I am going to put it up for sale as I can no longer live there because of the steps. It needs so much work I am going to sell it "as is". I will get very little for it as it is tiny and only has 2 bedrooms and one bath.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Bought my current house in November 2019, built in 1995. Covid hit right after I moved at the end of November so I still haven't met most of my neighbors, lol. 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch with a basement and a sunroom. Specifically got a ranch because of my kitties 😁

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house- our first after renting apartments for our first 33 years of marriage- was built in 1903. We have owned it for almost 16 years now. It has 4 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, a covered front porch, and a rear deck. It is a 2 story with a walk-up attic and a basement.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours was 'built' in 1992. The bottom floor is modular and the top floor was built on site. It is on a foundation with a full basement and the only way you can tell it was built elsewhere and moved here, is the interior corners are a pain to paint and get crisp edges if doing a contrasting color. We moved in right after it was finished. The builder was going to live in it but his wife *the realtor) decided she wanted something else so they sold it. We have lived here for 29 years in June. It needs some work and remodeling but that is on hold right now. It was the perfect house to raise our kids in but now it is too big.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My house was built by my grandfather (it used to be my grandparents' house--grandmother passed away in '04 and grandfather in '08). After my marriage imploded, we moved into the house April 2011 (we being myself and my four children). My mother and her siblings agreed to re-divide the inheritance from their father to make the house mine, free and clear (I love my family!)

The house was built in 1939. It is small, by modern standards, but perfectly adequate for my grandparents to have raised four children in (they had three daughters and one son; I have three sons and one daughter--my children are now all adults).

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house is a quasi-Craftsman bungalow built in 1923, with the final day of construction being 13 July, or so we were told. The woman from whom we purchased it is the granddaughter of the couple who built it. We like to say that he dabbled in construction because nothing is straight. Not just because the house has settled over the years, but because he did not cut things straight or attach things straight. We do not mind most of the time. (The Builder's wife's maiden name was Dilley, and she married a Dally! I do not know why I think that is so funny!) I say "quasi" because it sadly does not have all the built-ins associated with Craftsman. It only has one built-in, which is a set of bookshelves. We purchased it in 2014.

It has one three bedrooms (one is technically an office that we used as a bedroom and now is a game room), one bath, a living room, sitting room/dinning room, kitchen, and a full partially finished basement. It also has two "secret" rooms. One is inside the closet of one of the bedrooms, the other is behind the wall of that same bedroom. We have considered opening the one up for a giant closet and putting in a murphy door for the other. They might be considered large access areas, but they do not access anything and are a total of about 200 sq ft In a house that has just over 900 sq ft, an extra 200 would be a big addition. We probably will not, though. It is just my husband and me.

At one time, we had five adults, one baby, and 13 cats in our 928 sq ft house. It never has felt cramped. Maybe because of the layout? Now that everyone is moved out, my husband and I are not used to all the space!

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My house was built at the end of 1959, so roughly 61 years old and is about 1550 sq feet plus equal sized basement. It has three bedrooms, four hallway closets, including a 3 x 10 walking cedar lined closet, a big main bathroom and a 3/4 master bath.

The house was custom built for the previous owner, and the style would be considered mid century modern. Other that wallpapering, I don‘t think they did any updating at all before they sold it to me in 2004. I had been house shopping for unsuccessfully months with a list of “must haves”, like hardwood floors, fireplace, single floor living, when my son mentioned his great uncle was selling his home. A quick visit, it ticked most of the things on my list, and the deal was done. I thought I knew what I would need to update but it ended up being pretty much everything. My last main floor renovation was completed last year and I am starting on the basement now. The main section of the basement has a fireplace and ten feet of egress windows so it would make a bright and sunny family room if I ever get it finished.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our house will be 100 years old in 4 more years. We live in an American Foursquare built in 1925. It has Craftsman elements to it - particularly the porch supports and interior woodwork.

My home sounds somewhat similar to Elphaba09 Elphaba09 house. While it says 3 bedrooms on the description, it really isn't because one of them is SO small and has no closet. It has the door to the walk-up attic in it. We use that room as an office space for my husband. I can't even see how a twin bed could fit into it. Funny thing is when we had the room torn down to the studs, there was another window in it which had been blocked up which would have made the space even less usable, so we left it as is.

We have no family room/den area. The house is about 1600 sf total. Just a living room, dining room and kitchen downstairs (and a small powder room we were able to squeeze in). We don't even have a formal coat closet - we keep those in the space we carved out for the powder room (no they are not in the same room lol). Upstairs is our master bedroom (no bathroom in it), a guest room with a nice little balcony over the porch, and the aforementioned office space. Our bathroom up there is pretty big but has not been renovated in decades and is in dire need of being torn apart and redone.

We've been here nearly 11 years. We have totally outgrown it. I've had a lot of work done on it but it's nowhere near finished. So very little closet space and the only way to get more space is either doing the basement or finishing off the attic space. Neither is happening - too much money, will never be able to recoup the costs and we're probably out of here in about 4-5 years to retire anyway.

The house has a ton of character (we even have a port cochere) and a small but useable yard but at this point, doesn't work for us. I long to leave but need to continue working for a few more years.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This house was built in 1956. I have lived here on and off for my whole life. I moved to a town an hour from here for about 5 years, then came back unfortunately. The house is in total disrepair, but the land is nice. 2 big hills that you can sled down, garden, back field, huge lawn. Surrounded by the state forest. Whoever buys it will probably knock it down and rebuild. I can't imagine anybody being able to repair it now, but maybe.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My house is 12 years old and we've been here for about 11 1/2. It was new construction when we bought it; but it was finished for about 8 months before we came along to purchase it. It's a great property and location so I'm still surprised it took that long. It's like it was waiting for us or something. :lol: