Question Of The Day, Friday, December 8

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom doesn't like to cook. Or bake. She never has so there are no "traditional" holiday baked goods that I can recall. Everything she baked was from a mix and all frosting was canned. :sigh:

I'm not a fan of crispy cookies- except Oreos. I like soft sugar cookies, snickerdoodles (made with KAF Vietnamese cinnamon of course!) and peanut butter cookies with Reeses Pieces. Yum.

DD asked me to teach her to make cheesecake for Christmas. I bought a mini muffin pan so I think we are going to make little cheesecake bites. I do not like cheesecake at all and I think it would be better to make those and freeze them so she can have a bite whenever the need strikes her rather than making one big cake.

I think I will make myself some snickerdoodles. :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the ribbon candy, too, along with all the hard candy that came out at Christmas. If I see any I will buy some to show the kids in the family what we had to eat when we were kids at Christmas. I bet they don't taste as good as they used to.
that's a great idea!! :thumbsup: i think it's entirely possible that many kids haven't ever seen ribbon candy before -- maybe never heard of it either.

yes, it likely wouldn't taste as good as it used to. :agree:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be sand tarts for me. Not the rolled, thin ones, but those that are shaped into fat little crescents or logs and buried in powdered sugar after baking. I love buried cherry cookies, too. Imagine a great brownie with a chocolate-covered cherry in the middle.

Candy has to be chocolate fudge with either butter brickle or walnuts in it. I make a quick, foolproof fudge that's wonderfully creamy. It takes about 5 minutes, start to finish and you can add up to 1 1/2 cups of any kind of mix-in your heart desires. It's part of a peanut butter cup imitation, too. Mercy, they're all good.

I never liked the ribbon candy. It was clumsy to eat and didn't have that much flavor, or if it did, it was often hot cinnamon. Give me chocolate covered cherries any time. I made my own one year, aged them, and they were incredible! Of course that was the year I made 1200 pieces of fine chocolates while working 84 hours a week. No, I don't know how I managed it, but I've never done it again.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't bake much and don't have any holiday baking traditions myself but boy, the mention of divinity sure brought back memories! My mom used to make that every year. It's been 40+ years since I've had any.

I just looked up a recipe and it's nothing but sugar, holy cow. :barfgreen: :jawdrop: I'm going to try making a batch. We have a family get-together planned for Dec. 20 and it would be really fun to bring some to my mom and sisters. I'll bet they haven't had any since we all lived at home, either. I'm glad you mentioned it Winchester Winchester ! :clap:
The divinity was a bust. :sigh: I beat it forEVER. It was starting to look a little dull like it's supposed to and was 'sort of' getting firm but not really and my mixer was starting to smell like it was burning! It isn't a very heavy duty one. So I ended up putting the divinity in a pan instead of trying to drop it in individual pieces. This morning it's firmed up some but not really enough to cut into pieces. Oh, well. :ohwell:

IMG_3290.jpg

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The divinity was a bust. :sigh: I beat it forEVER. It was starting to look a little dull like it's supposed to and was 'sort of' getting firm but not really and my mixer was starting to smell like it was burning! It isn't a very heavy duty one. So I ended up putting the divinity in a pan instead of trying to drop it in individual pieces. This morning it's firmed up some but not really enough to cut into pieces. Oh, well. :ohwell:

View attachment 210349
Divinity is very fussy about humidity. It may have been too humid for it to set up properly. I tried to make it one day when the humidity was about 85% outside. I wound up with ice cream topping.