Question Of The Day, Friday, December 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday!:hyper:

Since I've been in Christmas baking mode now for the last several weeks, primarily cookies, but will start some candy-making in a week or two, my question deals with Christmas goodies:

What is your favorite cookie for Christmas? Do you have a favorite candy that you like to eat during the holidays? Fudge, brittle, divinity, sugared or spiced nuts? What do you like to eat?

Around here, of course, it's snickerdoodles for Dear Richard, at any time of year. Usually for Christmas, instead of cinnamon and sugar, I'll roll the snickerdoodle balls into colored sugar and then they're called Hollidoodles. For candy, it's usually almond brittle. But I also really love Alton Brown's White Trash, not a speck of "healthy" in the stuff, but man, is it ever good.

How about you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only must have holiday dessert around our house is apple pie. I bake two for Thanksgiving and three for Christmas. There usually will be a small jar of peppermint chocolates somewhere too. But we aren't a huge cookie family. I used to bake cookies all the time when I was bored but then my Mom complained I was making her fat and I was banned from baking unless requested.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't bake much and don't have any holiday baking traditions myself but boy, the mention of divinity sure brought back memories! My mom used to make that every year. It's been 40+ years since I've had any.

I just looked up a recipe and it's nothing but sugar, holy cow. :barfgreen: :jawdrop: I'm going to try making a batch. We have a family get-together planned for Dec. 20 and it would be really fun to bring some to my mom and sisters. I'll bet they haven't had any since we all lived at home, either. I'm glad you mentioned it Winchester Winchester ! :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick has been a snickerdoodle fan his entire life; we were talking about that last weekend. He wondered how many snickerdoodles he's eaten and I wondered how many batches of snickerdoodles I've made since we got married. A lot, I can say that.

@Mother Dragon and I were talking about divinity (and cookies and candy). My grandmother made divinity for Christmas for as long as I can remember. I hope your divinity comes out well and it brings back some good memories for you and your family.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite is chocolate covered coconut bars (The God of all candies) My sister makes these truffle like things that taste like Reeses's peanut butter cups. I love those too. Fudge......Chocolate covered raisins....Divinity....Frosted sugar cookies.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't met a cookie I didn't like - they're my biggest weakness. I also love that no-bake fudge stuff where you mix peanut butter and melted white chocolate then stir in peanuts, rice krispies and chow mein noodles. I haven't made it for a couple of years because I can NOT stop eating it. :paperbag:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother's Stollen. She died 20 years ago. My sister makes it every year, and when I lived in the Valley I would get one. But not since I moved up here. So, it's been 16 years without one.
I have the recipe and all the ingredients, so I may attempt it this year. But it takes 2 days.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite cookie anytime is ginger snaps. I am going to have to create a gluten free version of it. As for candy, well fudge, preferably peanut butter fudge. But my favorite Christmas dessert of all time is fruit cake.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I make Struffoli's with my mom and sister every year. we may do that next weekend. a tradition carried on from my great-grandmother

My sister does the cookie baking. I don't bake on my end.. though I'd like to, but it's just too much treats everywhere, lol

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorites at Christmas are the peanut butter with a Hershey's kiss on top for cookies and fudge for candy. I am determined not to give in too bad this time. I knew that I had some arthritis in my hips, I notice it on stairs. I ended up at Urgent care with what turned out to be tendonitis in one hip. She had x-rays done to make sure that is what it was. I saw the x-rays and the arthritis is obvious. I am determined to get some weight off. I am only 61 and I don't want to end up with joint replacement.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to love ribbon candy, but i'm pretty certain that i wouldn't enjoy it these days -- just too sweet. one thing i absolutely love is fresh roasted mixed nuts -- salted.

hmmmm......cookies......i've always liked those Christmas cookies that are cut into various shapes, like snowflakes, and have that thin layer of glaze or frosting over them. they taste so good, as well as being very pretty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mom used to love ribbon candy and she always had boxes of the stuff. She also loved chocolate-covered cherries. She and Grandma would make tons of sugared popcorn, black walnut taffy, and fudge.

Mom also made gingersnaps and pecan tassies. Now I'm not a big gingersnap lover, but my niece is. We don't have Mom's recipe, so I've been looking for another recipe to try. And not having a lot of luck. I either don't get that distinctive "crackle" appearance on the cookies or they don't taste quite like Mom's. I really thought I had it this year until my niece bit into the cookie and it didn't taste like Mom's. Darn it. So I'm still looking.

You know, if your mom or your grandmother has a really good recipe for anything, write it down! It's important! I would kill for my grandmother's recipe for her sugar cookies and nobody has it. My niece wants Mom's gingersnap recipe so badly and it's gone. Write those recipes down because, otherwise, they'll get lost. :2cents:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to love ribbon candy, but i'm pretty certain that i wouldn't enjoy it these days -- just too sweet. one thing i absolutely love is fresh roasted mixed nuts -- salted.

hmmmm......cookies......i've always liked those Christmas cookies that are cut into various shapes, like snowflakes, and have that thin layer of glaze or frosting over them. they taste so good, as well as being very pretty.
I loved the ribbon candy, too, along with all the hard candy that came out at Christmas. If I see any I will buy some to show the kids in the family what we had to eat when we were kids at Christmas. I bet they don't taste as good as they used to.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember my parents loved chocolate covered cherries and they were something that were for Christmas time. I have met many others whose parents and/or grandparents were of that same generation and they have said that they were the same way. That must have been a big holiday tradition at one time, at least in some areas.