Question of the day, Friday, December 6

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys! I got busy today and forgot about our question. I just remembered.

Do you go around looking at holiday lights? When you were a child, did your parents take you to look at neighborhoods that had a lot of lights?

Our parents used to take us out every Christmas. We would get in the car and go to various places where all the houses in a neighborhood were completely decorated. We were thrilled to see the houses.

Every so often Rick and I will check out the holiday lights. I love them.

How about you?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did as a child. There was this one house in the next town over that did one of those amazing over the top displays before they were more common and it was a special tradition to go and look.

I like looking at what I can see when going places, but don't make special trips. That may change when kids come into the picture.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The neighborhood I grew up in didn't have much for holiday lights and displays. An older cousin took my siblings and I downtown once to see the holiday lights and trees and displays in store windows.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In Coronado, I'd always take me beloved & dear departed mum on a little tour of the "island" (actually a peninsula) to see the Christmas lights, including lights on the Hotel Del Coronado, and the view of lighted skyscrapers in San Diego from across the channel. Several streets went all out with the lights, so visitors were plentiful, Coronado being a tourist town anyway... but it was cool to see the displays and enjoy the Christmas spirit. Me mum loved bright & cheerful light displays, as I always have (due to her influence, no doubt). :angel:

In this little burg where I now dwell, most of the lights will probably be along the main drag where the city and some volunteer groups have already put up lights & decorations. However, some locals get into the spirit and put up nice light displays, I'll put up some cool lights myself as the season progresses... dunno if I'll do it this weekend, maybe next weekend after payday, LOL. I have the lights, but there are some good college football games on this weekend, I'm already watching Utah @ Oregon right now with a cold beer. 🏈

But honestly, living at elevation as I do in southeastern Arizona, my favorite light display will be seen every time I walk outside and look up at the night sky... a million stars burning overhead, some as bright as LEDs, LOL. The atmosphere is so clean & clear here that the night sky is incredible, doesn't really matter which season but it adds a nice touch around Christmas. There are also observatories in our area, due to the clarity of the night sky... I reckon Mother Nature will put on the best display of all, and I'm looking forward to it!!! ⭐

CHEERS!!! AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! 🎄

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up out in the sticks, most people either didn't decorate at all, or put up a string of lights at most. Now, Michele and I might make a run around town to see the lights, as there a few that every year have really nice displays.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We would get in the car and go to various places where all the houses in a neighborhood were completely decorated. We were thrilled to see the houses.
Our parents did the same thing too. My sister and I would be in awe especially when we went to one neighborhood with over the top mansions. I don't know what impressed us more, i.e. the light displays or the size of the houses. Since having our own kiddos we followed tradition and went on the same car ride which they thoroughly enjoyed. 🎄

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My parents and/or grandparents took us around to see the Christmas lights. Nowadays I see them when I'm out walking in the dark, but I don't make any special effort. I developed an aversion to them years ago when we had an epileptic dog and had a horrible time trying to avoid blinking lights while taking him for walks around Christmas.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to do that when I was a kid, but after I married, my husband refused to go.

But here's the best news. Our town has a trolley service used in the summer for historical tours and parties. The subdivision I live in has an HOA that has rented three (yes, 3!) of them to take the lights tour through town. So far, the three trolleys are filled (32 people each) and there is a waiting list. Of course, we have to dress warmly, but the best news is we can bring along adult beverages.

This event is so popular I expect they will rent the three trolleys for two nights next year so everyone who wants to go can. The HOA made a home run with this activity.

It's going to be so much fun, and I am really looking forward to it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
People don't really put up Christmas lights in these parts, which is a shame because I love looking at them. A few stores and restaurants will have a tree or maybe fairly lights, but that's about all.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid..My dad and mom would take me and my siblings on a ride to look at all the decorations..And when my kids were little..I did the same thing...And now I still love to see all the decorations and places all lit up...And the nativity scene that some house's have up is really pretty and heartwarming....I love Christmas decorations...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and Yes.
We went out a drove around the neighborhoods when we were kids. We also have a light display in town where you donate at the gate and you can either walk or drive around to see the display that the volunteers put together that year. Donations go to local charities.
Although we don't go out as much now as we used to, we still have gone to the light display in town a few times and will sometimes take "detours" if coming home from something to see what some neighborhoods have going on.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did that when I was a kid and when DD was a kid. If I asked her now, she'd probably look at me like I grew another head. :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did when I was little as we lived in the city. Up here, however, I would have to drive a half hour, usually in ice and snow, just to see any artificial lights. Just not doing that.

But honestly, living at elevation as I do in southeastern Arizona, my favorite light display will be seen every time I walk outside and look up at the night sky... a million stars burning overhead, some as bright as LEDs,
And in the summer, the Milky Way is incredible. I also have no background light or smog to interfere with the stars.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think as many individuals go all-out with lights and displays anymore. I remember the first time I saw Santa's feet sticking out of the top of a chimney. Fireplaces weren't common in our area, so it was really something unique. There's still a whole neighborhood not far from us that decorates completely. Each block is themed and if a resident moves, the decorations and lights are left for the new owner. Unfortunately, the traffic backs up for miles. There are a lot of extremely elaborate commercial walk-through and drive through places, too. Not too far from here is a place that won Holiday Light Fight and has a huge area covered with hundreds of thousands of lights and displays. About 75 miles from here is a place that is only open for the holidays. It's a huge walk-through area of themed lights and displays called Sant's Wonderland. For many, it's a family tradition.

We used to take our late granddaughter to see the lights, but she lost interest, and we haven't really gone light-looking in several years.

We do have one neighbor who does a great job of decorating their yard for every holiday and we always look forward to seeing what's going to show up.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Kashmir64, ain't it grand? I love the night sky here in Arizona, I used to walk out and view the stars when I lived in Show Low for two years, but the night sky above this little burg in southeastern Arizona is also spectacular!!! :clap:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always go up to the city centre to see the different lights and attend various light shows. It's nice to drive around and see the local lights in our neighbourhood, too.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't purposely go and look at lights, but I'll check them out when I drive by them. There's a light show usually every year at the zoo. I went once as a kid. I'm kinda thinking of doing it this year though.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I would ride in the car with my parents when they would drive around looking at Christmas lights. I guess that was the genesis of my Christmas decorating obsession.

Nowadays, my wife and I do what we can to find about homes in our area that have lots of decorations. We pick a night and then map out a route to drive around to see them...and we take lots of pictures.

Charlotte Motor Speedway sets up a huge, elaborate Christmas display all the way around the racetrack and in the infield. We try to get to it every year (although we did miss it last year).

And, for the past several years, ABC has been airing a series of TV shows called the Great Christmas Light Fight. They have families from all around the country compete to see who has the best Christmas light display. The winning family gets a $50,000 prize. The next episode is on Monday, December 9th at 8:00 pm EST. I have all the episodes saved on a DVR. During the Summer, I sometimes watch a few episodes for inspiration for the upcoming Christmas season.