Question of the Day, Friday, December 3

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it is a blend of a traditional Finnish Christmas dinner (Ham, Rutabaga, Gingerbread cookies, Pulla bread") and Canadian (Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies etc) Hasn't really changed that much as I have grown older, although I was never really a fan of the rutabaga so that has died down a little!

Altogether pretty tasty! Can't complain :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spent the meal with Grandparents. Ham was the main course. The big change came when I took over making the meal. The menu didn’t change much, just the person doing the cooking. Lol Now family is all elsewhere or gone so I just cook a slice of ham for myself with simple sides. I still make the glaze though! I spend more time fixing a holiday meal for the cats these days.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not remember much anymore, too, because our Christmas dinners were not really that special. Due to hard times we could not even afford a proper Noche Buena, as we call it in our country.

As an adult and as a parent I tried to change it all and made our Christmas dinners much better. After gift giving we'd have ham, pasta, seafood, a lot of bread and fruits, roast chicken etc. We'd talk and laugh till morning. :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were home, my father did not want my mother to cook so she could enjoy the day. They would get a ham, she would make potato salad the day before, and some dips, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When we were home, my father did not want my mother to cook so she could enjoy the day. They would get a ham, she would make potato salad the day before, and some dips, etc.
Actually, I liked the time I did the buffet-style Christmas dinner with potato salad, mac and cheese, etc. It was a lot off me on the day because I got most of it done the day before. It made for a nicer day with the family.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't remember all we ate except ham. And a jello mold. I still do ham.
A jello mold? Wow. I haven't seen one of those since the 70's. I was chatting with a co-worker once. We were about the same age and were talking about foods we ate when we were kids and the subject of jello molds came up. A day or so later I saw her and she said that she mentioned our conversation to her husband and asked if he remembered them. He looked surprised and asked, "why? Do you have one?" She asked, "Do you see one? No. I don't have one." He was disappointed.

After she told me that, I asked DH if he remembered the jello molds from years ago. He had the same reaction. A look of surprise and he asked, "Why? Do you have one?" I also asked if he saw one. No, I didn't have one. I had just walked in the door from work. It's not something you can stop and pick up at the grocery store on the way home. He was also disappointed. No, they did not know each other but they clearly both remembered jello molds. :lol:

cassiopea cassiopea now I want some gingerbread cookies. :yummy:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One year, DH, DD and I were shopping for things for Christmas dinner. He asked me to make homemade mac & cheese. Ok. No problem. I'm now making a mental list of what I have and what I need. He walks away for a few minutes and comes back with a block of Velveeta. Wait. WHAT? Oh no. Oh HELL no. That stuff is not cheese. It is an insult to cheese and if I were in charge it would be banned from the planet. It has NO place on a weeknight dinner table much less on a Christmas dinner table. He really wanted it. DD did too. They are lucky I'm so nice. I didn't touch the stuff. Every time I see mac & cheese I think about that shopping trip and :lol:

DD is her father's daughter. She still loves that nasty stuff. If you like it too, enjoy. You can have mine. :blush:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like Velveeta either. Some people do love the stuff. I find it too salty. I only want the salt necessary to make things taste right, I don't want to taste the salt. I can taste salt in Velveeta.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Velveeta either. Some people do love the stuff. I find it too salty. I only want the salt necessary to make things taste right, I don't want to taste the salt. I can taste salt in Velveeta.
I love Velveeta. It's good with broccoli and toast but my favorite way to eat it is just cut off a chunk and eat it. I just put it on my shopping list because I really want some now. I love my salt so that is just a plus for me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah it's very salty. DD still loves it. I will never understand why but to each their own. If she asked me to buy her some I would do so in a second.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they want it, you make it. It's a law or something.
Yup. It is. DH liked that nasty Lay Choy canned chow mein and I had to make it for him every now and then. Ick. He also liked bell peppers which DD and I do not. He wanted stuffed peppers one night. I made them. DD and I ate something else. He got upset about that because according to him, at dinner time "we're all supposed to eat the same thing". No. Not if some of us don't like it. He liked them a lot. He had them all to himself. Not sure why that's something to complain about. :rolleyes2:

Strangely enough, he never complained when I made them a cheesecake but never ate any of it. :think:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it is a blend of a traditional Finnish Christmas dinner (Ham, Rutabaga, Gingerbread cookies, Pulla bread") and Canadian (Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies etc) Hasn't really changed that much as I have grown older, although I was never really a fan of the rutabaga so that has died down a little!

Altogether pretty tasty! Can't complain :)
Just want to ask if at any Christmas you had lutefisk? I've heard it's sometimes served by the Finnish at Christmas. People tell me it's pretty strong and takes a cultivated taste (the nice term).