Question of the Day, Friday, August 31

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When our son was younger, we gave him a telescope for Christmas. He and I spent hours in the back yard with that telescope and he showed me where to find the constellations that we could see. We saw four of Jupiter's moons and we were able to see Saturn, even though with its rings, it looked pretty much like a flattened disc. The telescope had a Barlow lens and a special sun filter so that we could watch the sun. He and I learned a lot from that telescope and we had such a good time spending time in the back yard.

Because we live in a fairly rural area, we can still see the night sky, except for down around the horizon where all the light is located. On really crisp fall nights, I still like to go outside, sit in the backyard and look at the sky.

What constellations are you familiar with? Do you take the time to go outside at night and look at the stars?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is there one that looks like a giant Macy's shopping bag? If, so I'm in.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a few

I know when are where to look for Orion and his belt, the Big dipper, theres also a couple I recognise but always forget their names.

I love looking up at the stars, myself and Blaine used to go out into the countryside to look up at them theres to much light in the town to see everything properly 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
When I leave for my PT job at 5 AM, I am always greeted with Orion and his Belt. It's right there

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm familiar with some of them but probably not all of them.  My interest in them grew with an interest in Greek Mythology.  Yes!  Many times I go outside and watch and look for the constellations and the stars. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always loved star gazing!!  Some of my best memories are when my Mom and I would do it together.  One place we lived, before she remarried so it was just her and I around, we would lay on our tiny deck/steps in sleeping bags and watch meteor showers.  I have a wonderful mother!  Before DH and I got married I got him to lay out all night once for a meteor shower.  He is not a night person and he loves his sleep....he was a man in love. 

I have a small telescope DH got me a few years ago.  It's nothing fancy; but it was fun when I have used it!  It's one of the best presents he ever got for me.  Unfortunately I haven't had time to get it out since my DD was born.  I live in the country now so this is a good place for it!  I do have some neighbors with lights though. 

Even with the telescope and the reading I did when DH got it for me (a magazine subscription and books I bought) I'm not very good at the whole constellation thing.  I found some; but not that many.  Mostly the easy ones like the big and litle dippers, Orion and his dog.  One night after I got the telescope my Mom and I laid out on the roof of her house looking for constellations.  I found the "m" shaped one and right now I can't tell you the name of it.  It was a fun night; but we had an owl swoop on us...  That was kind of scary!  I especially enjoyed when I would get to look at planets!  But man; the moon up close is just gorgeous!!