Question Of The Day, Friday, April 21

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :banana1:

Easy question this morning (at least I hope so): How do you clean your combs and brushes? And how often do you clean them?

I give ours a soaking with really warm water and shampoo, followed by a good rinse, then another soaking with boiling water and baking soda (because that's what my mom did). Followed by another rinse and then dry. I only clean ours about every other week. What about you?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm lazy. I don't do it often enough for sure. I've been known to clean out the hair and then send them through the washing machine with a batch of towels. :paperbag:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
/tiptoeing back out of thread due to embarrassment....
Are combs and brushes supposed to be cleaned? I am not going to tell how often I do mine. I guess I figure since I am the only one using them then I don't have to be that picky about it. When I had small children I was very careful about that and all combs and brushes were done on a frequent regular basis.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use a wide-toothed comb. If it looks dirty I send it through the dishwasher. Definitely not a scheduled occurrence!

I swear I never got the handbook on housekeeping :sigh:. How do people know this stuff?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm really sorry; it was not my intention to embarrass anybody! I swear! I just thought it might be an interesting question. (You know how hard it is to come with a QoTD every week? :lol: )

The only reason I do them is because my mom did them, only she did them every week. Every Saturday morning, we'd see the combs and brushes soaking in the bathroom sink. But then again, Mom also washed down our swing-set in the backyard with Lysol water every week, too, and I never did that. Mom was always appalled at my housekeeping skills; I have never been the housekeeper that she was.

I never thought about running our stuff through the dishwasher or the washer.....that's interesting.

Again, I'm sorry; I swear I meant this solely as a question, nothing else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, no worries. There are just some things I have no idea about! Someone asked me how often I wash my walls. I said "you have to wash walls?!?!" My mom says she didn't know toilets needed to be cleaned until she was in college. She thought just flushing them was enough. Apparently their maid never cleaned the toilets when she was looking. I did find dishwasher cleaning fluid on my own :D. But I have no natural talent for housekeeping, nope.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh. *hangs head in shame*

Well, uh...I remove as much hair as I can from the brushes with a lift comb and give the Furminators and flea combs a quick 'lick and a promise' after each use. It's that 'promise' part is where I go a wee bit astray. ;-)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really clean mine often but when I do I just use soapy water in the sink. I don't use much product to build up on them. I pull out any hairs after each use and de-fuzz as needed. My main brush would hold water inside so soaking might actually cause problems.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Usually I just use soapy water, but I think I'll try the dishwasher or washer. I've thought about using the dishwasher, but not the washer.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
No combs, but I do have a regular hair brush (you do mean brushes for humans, right?). With my thyroid issues which causes me to shed a lot, I am always pulling clumps of hair out of my brush. Since it's just me using it, I honestly never "Washed" it in any form or way.. didn't know it had to be done! lol. I do buy a new brush every few years though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
...........you're supposed to wash your hairbrushes?

:thud:

The only time I ever brush my hair is when I'm washing it. I use a wide toothed hairbrush to work the conditioner through it. I can't get a brush through it when it's dry, there's just too much of it.

When I'm done I rinse the conditioner off the brush and leave it to dry. I've never even thought of washing the hairbrush.

:paperbag:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
:paperbag: Um, I wash our walls. :paperbag: Once a year, usually in the spring. Well actually, it's usually when Rick would go to Oregon because I had the time to do what I need to do while he was gone. I haven't done them this spring yet and I doubt they will get done. I'm still trying to talk Rick into steam cleaning the carpet in the living room, the furniture and the kitchen floor; not going over well. This is something I cannot do.....I cannot move the furniture in the living room, not right now.

And again, this was something that Dad and I did in the spring. Dad used to do it by himself, but when he got older, I started to help out. I'd go up on a day off work and help Mom and Dad do stuff around the house: wash/paint the walls, take all the dishes out of the kitchen cabinets, remove shelving paper, wash the cabinets, put new paper in, wash the dishes, and put them away and then wash the outsides of the cabinets. Every year, once a year. I'd help Dad wash windows. Help him weed the flower beds....my brother would come up and mow the yard.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get cleaned with hot soapy water once every 6 weeks or so when I color my hair, I use the brush to bring some of the solution through my hair so it is more 'natural' ( like a 61 year old woman looks 'Natural' with no gray hair! :please:) I will always remember when my widowed mother in law was remarried, moved to a ranch, and the first time we visited her. She had let her hair go back to gray,(she was in her late 50's) and I was so shocked when I saw her I didn't even know it was her, it had aged her twenty years! I said to myself right then that if coloring your hair makes such a difference, I would NEVER stop doing it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I hear you. While I'm the first to admit that coloring my hair does not and will not ever make me appear younger than I am, the thought of my hair going completely grey (or in my case, white) does not thrill me. I suppose I will. Eventually. But not yet. (I'm having enough trouble trying to deal with the new wrinkles that seem to be showing up more and more every day.)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am 61 and probably about 20% gray. I do the highlights and lowlights thing. The lowlights are very close to my natural color. It doesn't look 'natural' because people's hair just doesn't do that naturally. The gray and my natural hair that isn't gray blends in with the colored hair and my roots aren't obvious until they get very long. I can get away with only getting it done 3 or 4 times a year.