Question For Those Who Have Computer Tablets?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound like a dumb question...but how do you type on your computer tablet?

Do you use the onscreen keyboard?
And 'predictive text'?
Do you use a 'rolled-out portable keyboard'?
Or a wireless keyboard?

(If any one answers this question with "I use my hands."...I'm going to :hmmm: :headshake: :lol:)
thanks in advance.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the onscreen keyboard on my Apple iPad (which I love). Predictive text bugged me at first, but I got used to it. My iPad can type a load of gibberish so everything has to be carefully proof-read.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I use the on-screen keyboard. I do have a wireless keyboard for it as well, but don't really like it. it makes things more cumbersome.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Logitech Bluetooth k480 keyboard
It has nice sized buttons. It also will pair with 3 different devices so if I use my phone is just turn the knob.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the onscreen keyboard on my Apple iPad (which I love). Predictive text bugged me at first, but I got used to it. My iPad can type a load of gibberish so everything has to be carefully proof-read.
Thanks Primula Primula . Yeah, predictive text seems to slow me down, while texting, and displaying strange choices, so I did wonder about it. I suppose the more you use it, the easier it gets?
I use the on-screen keyboard. I do have a wireless keyboard for it as well, but don't really like it. it makes things more cumbersome.
Okay, that makes sense.

I've only ever 'touch-typed' before with a keyboard,...but my sister has an Acer laptop, with touch screen, yet I find it strange to type on it, with the 'onscreen keyboard'.
I guess your fingers are just faster.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Logitech Bluetooth k480 keyboard
It has nice sized buttons. It also will pair with 3 different devices so if I use my phone is just turn the knob.
Thanks IndyJones IndyJones , that really helps to give me options.:biggrin:
Just looked up your keyboard.
If it is this one, it looks amazing.:clover: Nice feature to be able to turn a knob, to change devices.:)
The things they come up with these days, are incredible. :cool2:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Primula Primula . Yeah, predictive text seems to slow me down, while texting, and displaying strange choices, so I did wonder about it. I suppose the more you use it, the easier it gets?
It's a Catch 22 situation. I do like that it suggests words for me so I don't have to type them, but I hate the way it chooses words far from what I intended. Some of the words it chooses are completely idiotic. And when I type a brand new word or new name, it takes at least 3 tries before it will stop correcting the word. Like I said, I have to carefully proofread everything.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a Catch 22 situation. I do like that it suggests words for me so I don't have to type them, but I hate the way it chooses words far from what I intended. Some of the words it chooses are completely idiotic. And when I type a brand new word or new name, it takes at least 3 tries before it will stop correcting the word. Like I said, I have to carefully proofread everything.
Yes, that is so true. A Catch 22.:agree: And yes, sometimes so idiotic, that I wonder...what the heck!?! :eek2: :headscratch: :frustrated:
Worst is when you send a text to someone, and have to send another with the 'correct word'.
I hate to proofread, but it IS so necessary. :read:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use the onscreen keyboard on my iPad. I'm not fond of it, but I guess it gets the job done. I just peck away at it.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is so true. A Catch 22.:agree: And yes, sometimes so idiotic, that I wonder...what the heck!?! :eek2: :headscratch: :frustrated:
Worst is when you send a text to someone, and have to send another with the 'correct word'.
I hate to proofread, but it IS so necessary. :read:
I remember an article about people sending texts without proofreading. One young guy invited his grandmother to brunch, but somehow it came out that he'd invited her to a sex party.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember an article about people sending texts without proofreading. One young guy invited his grandmother to brunch, but somehow it came out that he'd invited her to a sex party.
:spew::eek2: :lol: Umm...yeah...you just convinced me, Primula Primula . Proofread everything from now, on. :blush:
(I don't even want to know what the computer predictive text changed the words to.) We could not post it here, anyhow. :paperbag:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever 'touch-typed' before with a keyboard,...but my sister has an Acer laptop, with touch screen, yet I find it strange to type on it, with the 'onscreen keyboard'.I guess your fingers are just faster.
When you type on a smart phone or tablet with an onscreen keyboard, only the two thumbs are used.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks IndyJones IndyJones , that really helps to give me options.:biggrin:
Just looked up your keyboard.
If it is this one, it looks amazing.:clover: Nice feature to be able to turn a knob, to change devices.:)
The things they come up with these days, are incredible. :cool2:
Yup that's it alright and $30 wow that's a great price. I think I paid twice that for mine.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That keyboard works with both android and apple products and possibly windows phone and pixel although I haven't tested it with Windows phone or pixel so it's quite versatile

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
When you type on a smart phone or tablet with an onscreen keyboard, only the two thumbs are used.
Oh, I thought since a tablet is bigger, you'd be using more of your fingers.
I guess it depends upon the screen size.

Do you find yourself fast when you type with your Apple Ipad, versus using a computer?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup that's it alright and $30 wow that's a great price. I think I paid twice that for mine.
Yes, I think it's way more expensive here in canada, too. Best Buy here, has it regular price for $70 CAD.
That keyboard works with both android and apple products and possibly windows phone and pixel although I haven't tested it with Windows phone or pixel so it's quite versatile
I just really liked how on the Amazon video, it showed how you switch devices on the go, and just place your devices in front of you. That looked really neat.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My big issue with onscreen keyboards is I have tremors in my hands so I frequently tap the wrong keys and swipe typing is almost impossible so a physical keyboard solves this problem.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My big issue with onscreen keyboards is I have tremors in my hands so I frequently tap the wrong keys and swipe typing is almost impossible so a physical keyboard solves this problem.
I would think the hand position is more comfortable, too, with a keyboard.
And yes, I frequently tap the wrong keys, while hovering over a screen.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I thought since a tablet is bigger, you'd be using more of your fingers.
I guess it depends upon the screen size.

Do you find yourself fast when you type with your Apple Ipad, versus using a computer?
No, it's either one way or the other. I think it's impossible to type in the traditional way with an onscreen keyboard. I'm a very fast typist & I probably type as fast now with two thumbs. In fact when I occasionally use a real keyboard I've forgotten where some of the keys are, which is annoying.