Question for people who work for rescue orgs

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a nutshell, we have a close relative who is in legal trouble, currently incarcerated and will probably go to prison for quite a while. We have 4 cats of our own and took in his 4 cats 4 months ago when he was arrested, because it was either us or animal control.

Things have not been going well. We have had fighting resulting in injuries and vet appointments, and in addition to doubling our pet care expenses, we are at a point where there is daily inappropriate elimination. Litter boxes are scooped 3 times daily now, we have 10 boxes for 8 cats and still there is pee on the kitchen counters, on the floors, a keyboard and a guest bed have been ruined, our bed has been pooped on and there is daily poop on the floor and it feels like all we are doing is cat care and cleaning all day. We are too old to deal with this any longer.

So, my question is, he adopted 3 of the cats from rescues about 7 - 9 years ago. We are trying to find out names and locations so we can contact them and ask for help. Is it likely they would have records from that far back (I don't know if the cats are chipped), and would they take back cats they adopted out that long ago? Or does each rescue have individual policies on that? Also, one of the kitties has diabetes and is on insulin, would they likely euthanize her or attempt to place her? Thank you for any info, this is a difficult situation and I never thought we'd ever have to do anything like this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can't separate the 'new' cats from your resident cats and start over with the introductions - which I would hope could be accomplished, are there any other relatives that would be able to take these cats? They are fairly along in age, and will be terribly difficult to re-home. 4 months is like NO TIME at all to try to acclimate older cats. It can take a lot longer, and can be successful if done correctly - and taken very slowly. Should you decide to keep them, or at least take care of them until some other solution can be worked out, please look through the links below about proper introduction routines - I have also included information about removing cat smells from various materials and surfaces.

But, rather than worrying about what shelter they came from that long ago, call local rescue centers and shelters in your area and find out what their policies are, etc. If you have a Next Door Neighbor web site, you could consider inquiring about folks in your area that foster cats and see if there is anyone available to do so from that standpoint. Even talking with your own vet's office might help you to find some fosters or other cat lovers who would be willing to take in these cats.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We already attempted to rehome them plus contacted local shelters and had no luck. The other relatives want no part of the situation. The original rescues are pretty much our last hope. We took them in with the best intentions and also the hopes of being able to return them to him, but the situation is no longer tolerable.

We have cat-sat them before, for various time frames, the longest being a month, so the cats knew each other and it wasn't a brand new introduction. We have never had these problems when watching them before. I talked to our vet who told me that sometimes 8 cats are just too much in a small house and everyone tries to mark their territory. We have tried feliway, I have put rescue remedy in their water and while the bickering has decreased, the peeing is getting worse. We gave it our best try, we just can't continue to do this. We are older and work and other responsibilities don't help with the situation. We just cannot physically keep up with everything.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for taking in those cats. I have to agree that if you can plead your case to any rescue available it might be the best way to go. Now, I realize you might have already done that, but make sure you have stressed how serious this is and what happened to their owner. If this is personal information that you don't want to disclose, say that it was a serious illness or death.

Rescues do whatever they do. A really conscientious one might have records or they might not. Some rescues do stipulate that if anything every happens to the owner that they need to have possession of the cat returned to them; I worked for dog rescues where we made people sign legal agreements that they would do this and in a couple of cases did take repossession of animals because the adopter had violated parts of the adoption contract.

Does your relative know where they came from? Don't feel you have to answer that here if it is not comfortable, as I understand you may not have access to him. You might have to do reverse detective work based on the area where he adopted them and current rescues in that place. Vet has no leads? Some shelters will give names of rescues? I do think that going on Nextdoor and asking for fosters even if the fosters are not bona fide rescues is a good way to go.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fiona's mom, we do have nextdoor and I've seen quite a few notices to place cats and dogs. There never seems to be much, if any, interest though. And what little interest there is usually seems to be in dogs. Cats are more difficult to place. It doesn't help that this is a retirement area and many people are older like us and don't want to/can't take in more pets.

Our relative can likely tell us exactly whom he adopted them from, we are attempting to contact him to get that information. Based on his location prior to his arrest, the places where he may have adopted them are about 5 - 6 hours round trip for us. Hopefully, if they do keep back records, they will have information about the kitties and, if they have a "must return" policy, we can take them there. We may be stuck with the youngest who is 5, almost 6, and was a street rescue when he was a kitten. But 5 cats is only one more than we started out with so that should be manageable.

James, I don't think any of the kitties need to be euthanized, but if they had to be one or both of us would stay with them, just like with all the others for the past 30 plus years.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The rescue I work with states right in the contract each adopter signs that the cat must be returned to us rather than being rehomed. And yes, we do have records that go back many years. I think the original rescue they came from is more apt to help you. At least that is the norm in this area MA/NH

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, theyremine, that is encouraging. Hopefully these rescues will operate the same as the ones in your area.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, the rule here is not to euthanize diabetic cats.(we are a no-kill shelter, as are most privately run ones in our area) We usually try to stabilize them through diet and have had good luck in placing them in new homes. Good luck!

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a group called Diabetic cats in need. Part of their focus is rehoming diabetic cats and getting cats that are due to be euthanized because of their diabetes at shelters out. I'd ask them for help or resources for his situation. They can also help the financial situation if you qualify.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be worth a drive one time if the rescue will help with the cats. You might even suggest to them that it is their responsibility to help in this situation even if they did not have that policy. If you can absolutely get your relative to verify the groups and they are still in existence, I think that I would even lean on them to to help you out in this situation in which you have very kindly tried to intervene for cats who could have easily ended up at the pound or on the street. As you said, keeping just one of them is not a huge problem. And I do get what you are saying about Nextdoor as it is very much tied into the demographics of the community.

I have had two diabetic cats, one currently living and sitting here next to me. While I am not making light of diabetes, I would rather give a cat a small shot than try to pill them once or twice a day for the rest of their life. Contacting the group for diabetic cats might even lead to a connection or information for the others.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, the rule here is not to euthanize diabetic cats.(we are a no-kill shelter, as are most privately run ones in our area) We usually try to stabilize them through diet and have had good luck in placing them in new homes. Good luck!
I think we are going to have to ask if they would euthanize her. If so, I can't see taking her there.
There is a group called Diabetic cats in need. Part of their focus is rehoming diabetic cats and getting cats that are due to be euthanized because of their diabetes at shelters out. I'd ask them for help or resources for his situation. They can also help the financial situation if you qualify.
If the original rescue lead doesn't pan out, I'll do that. It's not that expensive to care for her, our local rescue vet orders the insulin for $85 per vial. That lasts for a bit over 2 months. And the syringes are not that pricey either. But it does require having to be home to inject her every 12 hours, which is a problem sometimes.
It might be worth a drive one time if the rescue will help with the cats. You might even suggest to them that it is their responsibility to help in this situation even if they did not have that policy. If you can absolutely get your relative to verify the groups and they are still in existence, I think that I would even lean on them to to help you out in this situation in which you have very kindly tried to intervene for cats who could have easily ended up at the pound or on the street. As you said, keeping just one of them is not a huge problem. And I do get what you are saying about Nextdoor as it is very much tied into the demographics of the community.

I have had two diabetic cats, one currently living and sitting here next to me. While I am not making light of diabetes, I would rather give a cat a small shot than try to pill them once or twice a day for the rest of their life. Contacting the group for diabetic cats might even lead to a connection or information for the others.
Rescue do such fantastic work, I would feel badly about trying to force them to help. But I'll explain and ask if there is any way they can assist and hopefully they will. It is just an unfortunate situation that absolutely did NOT have to happen.

We had two kitties who were on thyroid meds, and two diabetics. Both diabetics went into remission and we had the radioactive iodine procedure done for one of the thyroid kitties, it wasn't available when the other one was diagnosed. All four were easy to medicate so even pilling them wasn't that bad.

I find diabetes scarier because of the potential issues that can pop up. When we were watching her for a few weeks this spring, she went into a fast decline and convulsions and clawed and bit my arm while we were rushing her to the vet. Fun times. Thankfully she was okay after spending the night at the vet, she had a bad UTI which affected her sugar levels.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My diabetic cat is prone to UTIs some of which are from her mild neuropathy and inability to actually stand straight up despite her ability to walk quickly close to the ground. Fiona herself was on thyroid meds and had to be tricked into taking them with certain strong smelling foods like BFF.

I certainly hope that some rescue will take pity on you and give you some help with rehoming the cats. Many rescues "rescue" their own animals from shelters or from the streets, so it can be deceptive in the sense that they are not that opened to taking others in. But you certainly have a strong case and a sad, but unusual, story.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find the shelters they came from I would definitely call them and explain the situation and that they came from that shelter. The vet can scan them for a microchip which you might get lucky and it may be tied to a shelter. Many shelters start out with the chip linked to them in case the owner doesn't update it. Where are you located?

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My diabetic cat is prone to UTIs some of which are from her mild neuropathy and inability to actually stand straight up despite her ability to walk quickly close to the ground. Fiona herself was on thyroid meds and had to be tricked into taking them with certain strong smelling foods like BFF.

I certainly hope that some rescue will take pity on you and give you some help with rehoming the cats. Many rescues "rescue" their own animals from shelters or from the streets, so it can be deceptive in the sense that they are not that opened to taking others in. But you certainly have a strong case and a sad, but unusual, story.
Yes, our local rescue bails out as many as they can from animal control and they don't usually have room for owner surrenders or strays people pick up. We've kept all the strays who've adopted us because finding good homes is so difficult.

The situation is depressing and awful and infuriating and it is sad that he did what he did and did not consider anyone else, especially his cats who are his responsibility.

If you can find the shelters they came from I would definitely call them and explain the situation and that they came from that shelter. The vet can scan them for a microchip which you might get lucky and it may be tied to a shelter. Many shelters start out with the chip linked to them in case the owner doesn't update it. Where are you located?
Great idea, if we don't hear from him we'll have them scanned. Thanks for the suggestion!! Will definitely contact them and explain the situation if we manage to find out their origins from him.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally popping back in to update. Last year we found out which rescue one of the kitties came from, but when I contacted them they said all their cats are micro-chipped and they need a chip number. So we had her scanned and the vet could not find a chip. We checked with our relative, again, regarding her origin and he insists he did adopt her from that particular rescue. But, without a chip number, they won't take her back. Our local rescue was going to try to find a breed-specific rescue for her, but that didn't work out. The other 2 kitties were direct adoptions. The diabetic kitty declined recently and blood tests showed liver and kidney issues, so we had to make the decision and are down to 7.

On the bright side, everything has improved tremendously in terms of the inappropriate peeing, there is only an occasional, infrequent pee to be dealt with, which is a big relief. We haven't been able to work since March because of the virus which makes finances a bit tight, but at least now there is a lot more time to look after all these cats. Our old male and the younger male still hate each other, but we swap them out every day (1 goes to the bedroom while the other gets to roam the house and enclosed porch and they get swapped back after a few hours) and keeping them apart is not that difficult. The old guy did sneak out in the evening a few weeks ago and, unbeknown to us, spent the night in the living room with everyone. I was in a panic when we discovered this and checked everyone for injuries, but not a scratch to be seen. So things are not nearly as bad as they were last year.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you deserve a medal ...not many people would go this far above and beyond for the welfare of cats ... Cats ( dogs too) sometimes really don't get along like your males ... and I would try at this point to find a home for just this one younger male. There are good rescues and not so good ones ... many only like to take in young cats and kittens only but there are those that will place older ones. It is ridiculous that a rescue would not take in a cat in need because of a microchip number ... Injuries would not be acceptable for me to worry about with my cats and we have declined/ dissolved foster situations for animals that threatened or even just stressed my own. There just has to be a mostly peaceful situation with this many cats and I feel that it is unfair to you and the cats to force cats who clearly dislike each other together. I have a lot of dogs and cats but don't feel that it is too much work at all because ... they happen to get along. You have been super cat mom ... doing everything in your power to help these cats !

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Flybear, I so wish we could re-home the younger kitty and the 2 others, believe me, we have tried and tried. We had zero success before the virus outbreak and now, with the bad economic situation, it's even less likely. Keeping the two apart is pretty much our only option at this point. I agree the situation is far from ideal and infuriatingly unfair, but it is 100% due to the very, very bad choices of our relative and we just can't bring ourselves to dump the 3 at animal control which would be the only option.