Question for Breeders.

Gatomonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend is a cat breeder, and we want to mate her male to my female, but this male has never sprayed and has only been around one intact female.

If we bring him here is there the possibility he will spray here, and then continue to spray at her home? Or because he just doesn't spray we aren't risking anything? She wants to breed him to my female, but she doesn't want him to start spraying.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? How old is your female?
Also, what breed are these cats?
Does the male come from a line that tends to spray, or doesn't tend to spray?
Does she have other males at her house? Do they spray?
Do you have other cats at your house? Or just the one female?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gatomonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh I see. I think it is probably going to depend on the genetics then. Thank yous very much!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh I see. I think it is probably going to depend on the genetics then. Thank yous very much!
Not only genetics, although genetics plays a part. If you give more information however, we'd be able to discuss your question in more detail.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All unfixed males are at risk of spraying, has nothing to do with genetics. It's not only to announce they are ready to breed but to claim territory as well so yes you do risk spraying when taking a cat from his home aka territory and placing him in a new home. If a male is young he might not spray until he's a bit older as well. I would do genetic testing first prior to any breeding to rule out any health issues that could kill the kittens to. Any breeding has to be done responsibly. Which means both cats are pedigree purebred cats with traits that will help enhance the breed. And a waiting list for the kittens. Kittens shouldnt leave until 12 weeks old and should be spayed/neutered who are pet(s) not breeding types.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gatomonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All unfixed males are at risk of spraying, has nothing to do with genetics. It's not only to announce they are ready to breed but to claim territory as well so yes you do risk spraying when taking a cat from his home aka territory and placing him in a new home. If a male is young he might not spray until he's a bit older as well. I would do genetic testing first prior to any breeding to rule out any health issues that could kill the kittens to. Any breeding has to be done responsibly. Which means both cats are pedigree purebred cats with traits that will help enhance the breed. And a waiting list for the kittens. Kittens shouldnt leave until 12 weeks old and should be spayed/neutered who are pet(s) not breeding types.
Thank you! We decided against it anyway and I clearly have lots of research to do before doing anything like this. I have done more reading and breeding is not easy! Yikes. Needless to say my cat will be getting fixed, asap!

Dianne's Maine Coons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stud who doesn't spray (thankfully !)
I am just fortunate as most do.

There is a huge amount that you need to know before entering into breeding and you also need a bottomless pocket (It's very expensive) Do not think you will make money from breeding as you will pay out more than you will receive. The kittens that I sell are for pet only. These are the kittens that unfortunately are not up to speck. That does not mean that they aren't beautiful it just means that they aren't good enough to show or to breed from. (hence why we say pet only)
We breed to get good lines to carry through to the next generation. Always striving for better and to breed out any unwanted characteristics and genetic diseases.

If you feel in the future that you may want to look into breeding again, My advice is to study the breed that you want to use. Go to as many cat shows as you can and speak to breeders of the same type. Do as much research as you can and save as much money as you can beforehand.