Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Question.........and, Perhaps A Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Help' started by white shadow, Sep 23, 2018.

1. white shadow

white shadow Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 28, 2010
    CA
    Is there, perhaps an alpha list of TCS "articles" ? (Yes, I saw the 'categories' window.)

'Haven't found such.....if there isn't one, perhaps it should be considered. I wonder if they wouldn't be used and referenced more frequently - if they could be found with an index.

I'm easily frustrated by "pic-tionary" versions of this time-tested-and-proven tool - the alphabetically organized listing of titles...........

raysmyheart and 1CatOverTheLine purraised this.

2. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 6, 2017
    Olcott Beach, N.Y.
    @white shadow - If you have an idea regarding the subject of the article you're looking for, a formatted Google search works very well. Use, "Articles," in quotes (i.e. 'must contain this term') in the search bar, then the keywords (best automatic feeders, as an example), and then limit the search: site:thecatsite.com -

"articles" Best Automatic Feeders site:thecatsite.com - Google Search

Nine times out of ten, the top result is the article you're looking for. Hope this might help a bit.

raysmyheart purraised this.

3. white shadow

Nov 28, 2010
    CA
    .....puts that in their back pocket

Thx! (doesn't scuze da nu age mineset, doe!)

4. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Something else you can try is to search just through the articles.

Access the search function from the top of the page and click on "More"

search1.jpg

From there you can enter in key words and search just articles or if you are sure of the title, you can search just titles of articles -

search2.jpg

Anne and PushPurrCatPaws purraised this.

5. white shadow

Nov 28, 2010
    CA
    @AbbysMom - thank you for the thought, time and effort you put into your reply. That I appreciate.

@1CatOverTheLine - I have equal appreciation for your suggestion - while my reply, in retrospect, certainly does not reflect that.

"Workarounds"..........just leaving me shaking my head, however. (just as that statement will leave others doing the same, no doubt)

1CatOverTheLine purraised this.

6. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Right now that's all I have for you until someone way above my level looks it over, and one of the Mods has flagged it for their attention. :)

white shadow purraised this.

7. Anne

Anne Site Owner Staff Member Admin

Oct 23, 2000
    On TCS
    Thank you for bringing this up, @white shadow and for the tutorial there @AbbysMom :thumbsup:

I can also suggest using the tags tool -
    upload_2018-9-25_9-19-11.png

And if you have any thoughts about how to tag better, do let me know - that's easy to sort out.

Also, once you get into one of the categories, you can sort the articles in any way you want, including alphabetically -
    upload_2018-9-25_9-22-43.png

Alphabetical lists have their advantages, for sure. They also have some disadvantages. Keep in mind that the majority of people who go to the articles section are just random visitors - not members looking for a specific article.

The articles component in this platform is actually quite flexible. I'm going to look into other ways of arranging them. Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated!

PushPurrCatPaws purraised this.

8. PushPurrCatPaws

PushPurrCatPaws TCS Member Top Cat

May 22, 2015
    @Anne, what about maybe assigning a prefix title to all the article threads? (Like how some threads were (are) titled "Important", "Feedback", "Resolved" and that sort of thing when the site platform was switched over and we had the site help area for forum issues? Or like how "Contest" threads might have a prefix id such as "Contest", with its associated color code? Then you could just filter them by prefix id. And hitting "Article" as a prefix id would just bring up page(s) of the list of Articles with no images to make scanning the list easier.)
    :) :ruminating:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

9. Anne

Anne Site Owner Staff Member Admin

Oct 23, 2000
    On TCS
    Sorry! Only now getting back to my task of figuring out articles display. I must have missed this post despite the mention - I apologize!

Unfortunately, there's no way to use prefixes in the articles section. It's a separate module and doesn't support that feature.

PushPurrCatPaws purraised this.