Question about what I believe may be animal abuse

Artmustel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and wasn't sure where should I post my concern.
My wife and I love cats, we have 3 of them just inside our home, no free roam for them at all.
We also love to feed some stray cats that now and then show in our backyard. Some keep visiting for months, some go away in a short time.
The main reason about my post here is because 4 homes from ours there is a man that sets a trap in his backyard, I am not sure if he means to catch only cats or other creatures too. Most of the time are cats the victims. I suppose he takes the cats to the compound, or at least I want to believe that. The problem is this person shows randomly, i would say every 2 weeks because it seems he lives somewhere else and is fixing this house. And is sad to see (we have proof of it) how the cats that he catches stay for many days or weeks trapped, under the sun or rain, with no water or food, crying the whole time, I would love to get in his backyard and free these cats but I think this could be dangerous or illegal.
Now my question is, do you believe I should report this to any agency? If so, which agency would it be? I live in the US in the State of Nebraska. Hope someone could help me with this concern. Thanks in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Nebraska Legislature
Reporting An Animal Issue - Nebraska Humane Society
The above links are specific to animal abuse in Nebraska.

nebraska animal abuse laws - Google Search
This google search may help you to find what you are looking for.

Feral Friends Network® Connect
This is from the Alley Cat Allies website where there is a lot of information. Using this directory might help you to get in touch with someone who works with ferals in your area who might be familiar with steps that can be taken.

You also might try googling animal rescue or animal control for your specific part of Nebraska.

Thank you for trying to help these cats. Do you have pics, which may or may not be legal in Nebraska, but I suspect that they are? This is definite animal cruelty and heartbreaking. What does he ultimately do with the cats?

Entering his property might be entirely illegal, so I can't tell you to do that. Animal control probably can, but out here there can be stipulations as to properties which are locked, even if an animal is in distress. Please let us know what happens.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
do you believe I should report this to any agency? If so, which agency would it be?
Fionasmom and i were typing at the same time :)
Yes, talk with your veterinarian to find out which organizations you can contact, or even the police if they have an animal control branch.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All of the above!! First off - and you don't have to answer, but it is crucial in terms of what to do - how do you know all this?
Is it possible to consider asking this person if you could assist them with what is being trapped in his absence? You could take the traps to local no-kill rescue shelters/centers/groups or wildlife groups for other animals for him. If that is not possible, fine.

Look up local ordinances in your town/county and find out what your options are. You can do internet searches to find out that information if needed beyond what you've already been given. And, also as noted above you can also look up local rescue centers/groups and ask for their help.

If you have proof of these cats being trapped and not being tended to, you can report it to the proper authorities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artmustel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We do know for sure he has this trap in his backyard. Some months ago he approached us from the back alley as we were at our backyard, and in a very rude way he warned us to "keep our cats out of his property" or he would make them disappear. (probably he knew we feed stray cats, but we explained to him that ours were kept inside all the time). He used to have that cage in a spot we could see it, now he has moved it but we know for sure he is still using it. I don't have pictures since I would need to enter his property to take them.
Thank you for the links, I will follow them and see what can I do. I don't know if it is legal to catch cats, even if it is to take them to the compound. Probably it is. But keeping them for so long without food or water is just inhumane in my book, Thanks for all your help!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is very disturbing for you and it is to us too. I have experienced it first hand and I strongly suggest you align yourself legally with authorities and rescuers in that area or nationally. You have my deepest gratitude for feeding these cats and for caring about them. I hope you can pursue this and find a solution to stop the abuse. I was able to stop it here if that helps you any. An officer in the Sheriff department here cared. I pursued it and got help and the remaining cats were saved. Please do let us know if you have further questions. My heart is with you and those cats.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What he is doing is abuse, trapping the cats and leaving them for days unattended. He has already threatened to make your cats “disappear”.

He needs to be reported to whatever agency near you manages animal abuse. Hopefully they can stop this and a rescue can help you to get the cats away from him and adopted if possible.