Question about using the bathroom before labour

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if it is normal to have a bowel movement or to urine before the cat goes into labour???Does cats get consipation before labour???Do they still hunt for mice before labour???I am soo confused and so new to all this that I can't think straight...lol......what about heavy breathing??

I notice my cat milky(gently squeezing nipple)and milk come out of it for about 4 days now....that normal and also her nipples r dry..is there anything I can put on them...

I should go now before I confuse my self more....lol

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

I was just wondering if it is normal to have a bowel movement or to urine before the cat goes into labour???Does cats get consipation before labour???Do they still hunt for mice before labour???I am soo confused and so new to all this that I can't think straight...lol......what about heavy breathing??

I notice my cat milky(gently squeezing nipple)and milk come out of it for about 4 days now....that normal and also her nipples r dry..is there anything I can put on them...

I should go now before I confuse my self more....lol
Something probably not helpful but I just had to share....My grandmother had four children and said just before she went into labor, she ALWAYS had a bowel movement, and that's how she new for sure that it was TIME.
wierd huh? So....maybe it's true for cats too?

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat had the runs to empty her bowels and went for wee alot just before as kittens were pushing down on bladder

also some cats do carry on with there daily actives

mine was playing with are other cat when her waters broke

4newkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

Thanks for the help...was there mush water when the water broke??
When Kendall's water broke it wasnt much water but i dont know if all cats have the same amount of water

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK I see....well I am not sure how far along my cat is but I keep looking around her bum area for some signs but nothing out of the unusual...I know I am pacing around because I just can't wait for the babies....lol

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
towards the end the belly looks smaller as the kittens drop down the canel

she will go off food

she could hide or go to her box and lie there for ages

then she should started ripping up the box

all cats are different tho my cat was different both times the second time she just jump on me and i feel she wet so i placed her in her box and she started pushing

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also this is what you need i didn't know if ya new or not

Supplies for the Birthing Area
Newspapers
to line the delivery box. Place a stack in the bottom of the box and remove one-by-one as they become soiled.
Clean towels
for helping to clean and stimulate the kittens, if necessary.
Paper towels
for the same purpose.
An extra box
for placing the kittens in while the queen is still birthing. Place a heating pad in the bottom of the box with a blanket or several towels over it. The idea is to keep the kittens from being chilled, without burning them. Never place them directly on a heating pad. Drape another clean towel over the top of the box to hold the heat in and to keep out drafts.
A laundry basket or extra box
for discarding soiled towels

In general, it may take up to six hours for a queen to give birth to all her kittens. The first kitten should arrive within an hour of the start of active labor, and subsequent kittens will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. She will rest for 15 minutes or so between kittens, and during this time she should be allowed to nurse and clean the kittens that have been born. If you have been keeping the kittens in another box, move them back with the mother cat and help them find a nipple. This is also a good time for you to offer her food or a sip of KMR or plain, unflavored yoghurt. Although in rare cases a healthy kitten is born after the seven hour period, you should take the queen and her kittens to the vet for a checkup once seven hours passes and you are sure there are other kittens inside.

Summary of Potential Problems During Labor

Extended Contractions without Birth
More than one hour of strong contractions indicates a veterinary emergency, and your cat should be seen by a vet immediately. Take her and any kittens to your vet.
Retained Placenta
A retained placenta can cause uterine infection. It is important to count the number of placentas (one per kitten) to keep on top of this potential problem.
Kitten Lodged in the Birth Canal
A kitten that is lodged in the birth canal for more than 10 minutes is in distress, and your intervention may be necessary.

Once all the kittens are born, your queen will normally be caring for and feeding them. Make sure she has ample quantities of kitten food and KMR now, and for the rest of the time until the kittens are weaned. And if anything seems amiss with either your queen or the kittens, seek veterinary care immediately.

also Physical Signs of Labor
There may be a drop in normal body temperature. The cat may vomit. The abdomen may "drop" a few days before labor, and the nipples may become larger and pinker.

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for all the great info gail....that was really interesting...I can see the babys moving but not that much....also I was wondering about the babies dropping...my cat is a really tiny cat but she is only 6-8 months old.all u can see on her is a really big,round belly.....lol...kinda looks funny...and her butt and legs r really skinny....she tries really hard to get outside and sometimes she does get out because I have kids that like to run in and out of thr rooms and the house...man it gets annoying to run after them and the cat all the time..by the way we name the cat ANGEL.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may not go off her food, Missy was eating until 10 mins before. Then she sat in my lap for a few minutes and then jumped up onto the 8ft bookcase where she looked at me, meowed and popped out a kitty, totally ignoring all the nests she had been exploring beforehand.
The kittens were approx. 10-15 mins apart, with a longer wait on the last one.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't at all unusual for a queen close to delivering to visit the litter beforehand. Especially a young or inexperienced queen who may confuse the sensation of a contraction with the need to strain and eliminate. If you see your girl making frequent trips to the litter, whether productive or not, keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't deliver a kitten into the litter. It has been known to happen.

~gf~

devilgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there was 2 hrs inbetween my cats 3 kittens it felt like forever i had to watch her very closely because the last litter she had all 3 died

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SS about that devilgirl...I know I would go crazy if any of my cats kittens die...I wouldn't know what to do

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that when the cat goes into labour and feels the need to push, she may think she needs the litterbox and will actually deliver the kittens in the box. In this case, clumping litter will suffocate the kittens. So if your cat is about to give birth, it's best to use non-clumping litter.