Question about unemployment

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone out there know about unemployment claims from the employer's side?

I work for a very small company, and my boss would like to know how much it might cost him to lay off an employee. I've never done this before (and yet he's asking me!), and I've Googled but can't find anything anywhere!

Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to figure it out, or links to point me in the right direction?

For what it's worth, we're in CA. I've gone to the EDD page, and it has a "for employers" page, but I can't see anything explaining the cost to the employer.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!

That's the way I understand it, too, but he seems to think that once a claim is filed, he will actually have to pay something. Like, the EDD will charge him some portion. And I can't find anything about that one way or the other.

I do know that often times employers fight against claims because they don't want the employee getting unemployment, but I don't know why. Is it because the employer has to pay a portion of the claim? Or will it just raise their percentage of the UI tax?

I will read that PDF, thanks, maybe that will say something!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The employer's SUTA (UI tax) goes up if they lay off people, I'm not sure how much though. Not a really fun thing to have to research...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you!

Do you know if that's the only thing that happens? Do you have any links so I can show him?

Thanks so much!!

And yeah, definitely no fun, the whole thing sucks... Stupid economy...

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I don't know much more than that. And I only really know that because of my accounting class, and also my former employer mentioned something about them having to may more taxes when they laid me off, but that they wouldn't fight my UI claim. (They didn't want to lay me off. I think they cried harder than I did when it happened actually! So it's not like he was complaining about having to pay more taxes like it was my fault..)